Setting up your entire 4th year on your own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it easy or difficult to do?

I plan to do this.

About half the year will be for auditions...Half will be for the other required rotations. I plan to do them all outside of my 3rd year hubsite.

Any tips, advice? I'm worried about not being able to find a preceptor willing to take me on for required rotation X, or having one cancel at the last minute and scrambling to find a place so i can graduate on time.

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible to set up your entire 4th year on your own. Just be proactive and start emailing early like in January of your 3rd year. It also helps if you let them know you plan to apply for their program.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
half of the year for sub-Is? Does not sound smart.

Why?
I'm not familiar with the term Sub-I either.

I'm in a DO program btw, maybe things are different on the MD side cause I hear that most MD stay at their core site for 4th year and just do a few "Aways".

I have that option too, but I'd prefer to be closer to home for 4th year since I have the option.

It is possible to set up your entire 4th year on your own. Just be proactive and start emailing early like in January of your 3rd year. It also helps if you let them know you plan to apply for their program.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks.
I don't plan to apply to their programs though? I would only be rotating there to fulfill the rest of my 4th year requirements. I prefer not to stay at my hubsite because I want to be closer to home.

Why?

I'm in a DO program btw, maybe things are different on the MD side cause I hear that most MD stay at their core site for 4th year and just do a few "Aways".

I have that option too, but I'd prefer to be closer to home for 4th year since I have the option.

If memory serves me, don't all DO schools require at least one sub-internship rotation?

Also, it is more understandable for DO students to do away rotations, because most rotations are not done at academic centers like MD schools (where you can potentially network with the program if the school has the residency you are interested in). So getting letters of recommendations from well known PDs is a must for competitive programs. Most 4th year students have done the same thing as yourself, from what I have seen on SDN.

If memory serves me, don't all DO schools require at least one sub-internship rotation?

Also, it is more understandable for DO students to do away rotations, because most rotations are not done at academic centers like MD schools (where you can potentially network with the program if the school has the residency you are interested in). So getting letters of recommendations from well known PDs is a must for competitive programs. Most 4th year students have done the same thing as yourself, from what I have seen on SDN.

Oh ok...So Sub-I's are basically rotations outside of your schools network.
Yes, my school encourages sub-I's. We have 4 elective rotations which we use for audition rotations at programs we will apply to for residency which are basically Sub-I's. i will do those the first half of 4th year. Most DO students do this.
However, for the rest of my requirements, I will find rotations closest to home to complete them at, outside of my hubsite as well. I just hope this isnt hard to do. And yes, I'm not at a big academic center, so I won't be losing much by not staying at my core site.

Oh ok...So Sub-I's are basically rotations outside of your schools network.
Yes, my school encourages sub-I's. We have 4 elective rotations which we use for audition rotations at programs we will apply to for residency which are basically Sub-I's. i will do those the first half of 4th year. Most DO students do this.
However, for the rest of my requirements, I will find rotations closest to home to complete them at, outside of my hubsite as well. I just hope this isnt hard to do. And yes, I'm not at a big academic center, so I won't be losing much by not staying at my core site.

If I recall correctly, sub-I's are meant to show programs that you can function as an intern. You can do an audition rotation, but it doesn't necessary have to be a sub-I.

This post I think sums it up.

To add to the confusion:

- Sub-internship rotation ("sub-I"): a rotation during your fourth year that assume the responsibilities of an intern. Also known as an 'acting intern'.

- Audition rotation: any fourth year rotation where you are 'auditioning' for the specialty or program. Useful in two ways: to audition for a residency spot at that program, or to get a good LOR from that program to use at other programs.

- Away rotation: any rotation away from your home institution.

The confusion is that one could do an audition rotation at a program but not act as a sub-intern. The value of doing an audition rotation *not* as a sub-intern is debatable, but then again - what's the value of doing an audition rotation if you're not showing the program how well you can perform as an intern?

Is every away rotation considered an audition? Not really. Sometimes you do an away just because that rotation gives you better training than what your home institution might provide.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info. Interesting. My school does not require a sub-I as far as I know.

Thanks for the info. Interesting. My school does not require a sub-I as far as I know.
Which specialty are you going to? You may need to do 1 or 2 sub-i if your field wants it. I would do some research on that. If your school doesn't have any required rotation in 4th year, I would set up rotations near the beach or mountain (snowboarding) or even out of country (if you can afford to travel) after the match -- this is actually my plan anyway lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Which specialty are you going to? You may need to do 1 or 2 sub-i if your field wants it. I would do some research on that. If your school doesn't have any required rotation in 4th year, I would set up rotations near the beach or mountain (snowboarding) or even out of country (if you can afford to travel) after the match -- this is actually my plan anyway lol.

Lol...That sounds good my man! I'll be seeing ya at the beach then! I'll bring the sunscreen and drinks :D

I'm Deciding between FM or IM... So not horribly competitive. Don't think IM/FM would require sub-I's?
I'll be doing auditions in both IM and FM. All in my desired area.

Sub I's, sub internships, AIs, acting interships, are "more difficult" rotations that show you in the role of an intern, so basically inpatient medicine, OB, peds, surg, fammed. There are also outpatient Sub-Is like medicine, family med, etc.

Going into IM or FM, it depends on how competitive you are and if you want an MD residency spot. It certainly won't hurt if you can go to a site and work really well. Sometimes you're even offered pre-interviews or a guaranteed interview for rotating there. If you want to go to California, NYC, etc., you almost certainly need to do an away if you're not from there or have no ties to the area (unless your CV and steps are really good). But just be careful to not go somewhere and perform poorly, as this will certainly hurt you.

The best is to ask an advisor or mentor in IM about where you might need to do audition rotations. Some people also just like to do aways to get a feel for programs/locations, and that's also not bad at all.

This is why I am jealous of people who are in schools with a high amount of elective rotations. Even if people think they are a joke, it is better to have them than not.

Why?

Aways/Auditions should be like Sub-I's because the point is that you want to impress the program with how much like an intern you are even as a 4th year. Many programs that you audition at to will expect a sub-I performance out of you. Don't go in expecting for it to be just an elective or something.

As for other requirements, do them wherever you want. If one gets dropped and you can't set up another quickly, contact your school and have them give you whatever they have left over. You may have to travel and it might not be a great experience, but at least you'll fulfill the requirement and finish on time.

If I recall correctly, sub-I's are meant to show programs that you can function as an intern. You can do an audition rotation, but it doesn't necessary have to be a sub-I.

This post I think sums it up.

Yeah pretty much, and I'm on the side of there's no point doing an audition not as a sub-I.

i just scheduled 5 electives for 4th year. Not that hard