sGPA 3.55 oGPA 3.68 MCAT 23 - Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkskyline17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

This is my first year applying to medical school and I was just wondering, realistically, what my chances are getting into DO schools. I already submitted my primary applications (waiting for it to be processed) and I am signed up to re-take the MCAT on 8/22/2013.

I do have ~200 hours of hospital volunteering, some community service, medical mission trip (Kenya and Guatemala), research experiences (160+ hours), and shadowing experiences (400+ hours). The hours for research and shadowing experiences are going up every day because that is all I am doing right now.

I'm pretty stressed out because of my low MCAT score but I feel like I can bump it up couple points to get it to 26+ when I re-take it in August. My current MCAT score distribution is (Verbal: 8, Phys/Chem: 7, Biology/OChem: 8).

Before the re-take, do you guys think I have a chance in getting into the DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think a 23 will cut it unless you're going for Pikeville, LMU-DCOM, VCOM or another school with really low averages. I think once you hit a 25/26 you'll be fine.

No, I don't think a 23 will cut it unless you're going for Pikeville, LMU-DCOM, VCOM or another school with really low averages. I think once you hit a 25/26 you'll be fine.

Agree... OP can add CUSOM and LUCOM (once they start accepting application).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's best to re-take and then apply. You still have time..it's a long cycle.

Hello everybody,

This is my first year applying to medical school and I was just wondering, realistically, what my chances are getting into DO schools. I already submitted my primary applications (waiting for it to be processed) and I am signed up to re-take the MCAT on 8/22/2013.

I do have ~200 hours of hospital volunteering, some community service, medical mission trip (Kenya and Guatemala), research experiences (160+ hours), and shadowing experiences (400+ hours). The hours for research and shadowing experiences are going up every day because that is all I am doing right now.

I'm pretty stressed out because of my low MCAT score but I feel like I can bump it up couple points to get it to 26+ when I re-take it in August. My current MCAT score distribution is (Verbal: 8, Phys/Chem: 7, Biology/OChem: 8).

Before the re-take, do you guys think I have a chance in getting into the DO schools?

Hey guys,

Thank you for the quick response! You guys think it is okay although I already submitted my primary application? I did indicate on the application that I am planning on re-take for 8/22/2013.

Liberty sounds like a place I would definitely be interested in applying... but I did not see their school name in the list of schools under AACOMAS.

I guess the reality might be for me to have to re-take MCAT and do well on it... haha if that was just that easy. But I am still crossing my fingers to hope that I can receive at least some interviews with the scores I have right now... lol