sGPA 3.7, MCAT 508+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before reading onward, I don't know my MCAT score yet. AMCAS is going to be verified before my score comes in, and I've pre-written all my secondaries.

My sGPA is 3.7+ and my OLD MCAT score is 29 (9-9-11 for physics-verbal-biology) and I applied in the 2015-2016 cycle to 23 US MD schools and got rejected by all of them. I did have a few interviews. Wishful thinking I scored 508+ on the new exam. I'll update this post with my score as soon as I get it back (sept 7). I was curious what schools I should add and or remove. I'm going to list the schools I did apply to before (removing my silly reach schools!) All that rejected me (either pre-interview or post-interview) said my MCAT was lethal at a 29. They said the personal statement, secondarys, and work/activities section was fine. Two of my interviews told me that they would have accepted me if I had a 30 on the dot, and that they're currently showing a high preference for the NEW mcat score and accepted a fair amount of students with a 504-508 in lieu of their usual 27-29 applicants.

In a nutshell:
-1000+ hours of clinical volunteering
-500+ hour non-clinical volunteering
-5 papers published (no first author, all are second, getting my first first author paper published this upcoming year)
-president of 3 clubs, founder of another club, tons of TA experiences as well
-lots of university awards and honors
-NY state resident
-Letters of recommendation are all "above average" (I say that because my at my committee interview my interviewer told me he hasn't seen letters this strong in a long time since he's been doing this at my school)
-Shadowed 1000+ hours split over 5 different specialties

I'll be re-applying to the following schools:

NY:
-Albany Medical College
-Albert Einstein
-Hofstra
-NYMC
-SUNY Buffalo
-SUNY Upstate
-SUNY Downstate
-SUNY Stony Brook
-University of Rochester

Penn:
-Drexel
-Jefferson (now known as Sidney Kimmel)
-Temple (now known as Lewis Katz)
-Commonwealth
-Penn State

Connecticut:
-Netter

NJ:
-Cooper

Presuming I got a 508 to 510 on my MCAT, what schools should I add or remove?

ALSO: Do I need to change my secondaries...? LOL, thanks everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you get a 508-510 you look good for most of the schools on your list. I think Stony Brook, Hofstra and Rochester might be a bit of a reach because they have a higher MCAT averages but I guess if you're a NY resident you can keep them.

How many schools are u a re-applicant at? If the answer is all of them why wouldnt you try and apply to some schools for the first time ??? From my impression you are held at a higher standard as a re applicant at a school. That being said why wouldnt you broaden your net and apply to different schools to reduce that built in disadvantage that you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many schools are u a re-applicant at? If the answer is all of them why wouldnt you try and apply to some schools for the first time ??? From my impression you are held at a higher standard as a re applicant at a school. That being said why wouldnt you broaden your net and apply to different schools to reduce that built in disadvantage that you have.
My mistake I was unclear. The schools I listed will all be schools I'm reapplying too.

I was trying to ask that if I score a 508-510 what other schools should I add to this list? As in new schools I haven't applied to before. Thanks!

My mistake I was unclear. The schools I listed will all be schools I'm reapplying too.

I was trying to ask that if I score a 508-510 what other schools should I add to this list? As in new schools I haven't applied to before. Thanks!
Okay first of all u need to give more info to be helped appropriately. You said u applied to 23 schools at first and will reapply to 16 of those .It would help to list ALL the others you applied to at first so people dont suggest them to you again. Also I would limit the schools I am a re applicant at to about 10 if you are applying to 20 schools with a majority of those being your state schools. I would forget Jersey schools because 1. they like their own students and 2 they already rejected u so you have 2 negative working against you. I am getting a sense you want to stay close to the NYC area and I get that need but u need to branch out a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend TCMC, as they prefer people from the Scranton area. Cooper likes ISers, so scratch them, and I can't recommend Penn State for the simple fact that their parent body protected a child molester for over 25 years.

As you know, your new MCAT score will make or break you. You really need to have some DO schools on your list. Start with PCOM and NYITCOM

Before reading onward, I don't know my MCAT score yet. AMCAS is going to be verified before my score comes in, and I've pre-written all my secondaries.

My sGPA is 3.7+ and my OLD MCAT score is 29 (9-9-11 for physics-verbal-biology) and I applied in the 2015-2016 cycle to 23 US MD schools and got rejected by all of them. I did have a few interviews. Wishful thinking I scored 508+ on the new exam. I'll update this post with my score as soon as I get it back (sept 7). I was curious what schools I should add and or remove. I'm going to list the schools I did apply to before (removing my silly reach schools!) All that rejected me (either pre-interview or post-interview) said my MCAT was lethal at a 29. They said the personal statement, secondarys, and work/activities section was fine. Two of my interviews told me that they would have accepted me if I had a 30 on the dot, and that they're currently showing a high preference for the NEW mcat score and accepted a fair amount of students with a 504-508 in lieu of their usual 27-29 applicants.

In a nutshell:
-1000+ hours of clinical volunteering
-500+ hour non-clinical volunteering
-5 papers published (no first author, all are second, getting my first first author paper published this upcoming year)
-president of 3 clubs, founder of another club, tons of TA experiences as well
-lots of university awards and honors
-NY state resident
-Letters of recommendation are all "above average" (I say that because my at my committee interview my interviewer told me he hasn't seen letters this strong in a long time since he's been doing this at my school)
-Shadowed 1000+ hours split over 5 different specialties

I'll be re-applying to the following schools:

NY:
-Albany Medical College
-Albert Einstein
-Hofstra
-NYMC
-SUNY Buffalo
-SUNY Upstate
-SUNY Downstate
-SUNY Stony Brook
-University of Rochester

Penn:
-Drexel
-Jefferson (now known as Sidney Kimmel)
-Temple (now known as Lewis Katz)
-Commonwealth
-Penn State

Connecticut:
-Netter

NJ:
-Cooper

Presuming I got a 508 to 510 on my MCAT, what schools should I add or remove?

ALSO: Do I need to change my secondaries...? LOL, thanks everyone :)

Okay first of all u need to give more info to be helped appropriately. You said u applied to 23 schools at first and will reapply to 16 of those .It would help to list ALL the others you applied to at first so people dont suggest them to you again. Also I would limit the schools I am a re applicant at to about 10 if you are applying to 20 schools with a majority of those being your state schools. I would forget Jersey schools because 1. they like their own students and 2 they already rejected u so you have 2 negative working against you. I am getting a sense you want to stay close to the NYC area and I get that need but u need to branch out a bit.

I didn't list the other ones because they were super reaches (ivy league and top tier privates...hopkins, harvard, columbia, cornell, stanford, duke, dartmouth). Now we have all 23!