sGPA 3.90, cGPA 3.92, MCAT: 34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeefan812

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 12/11/11

Extracurricular:
• 200+ hours of research – 1 paper published
• 200+ hours of shadowing/clinical
• 100+ hours of community service (underprivileged middle school mentoring)
• 700 + hours of fraternity involvement – held academic advisor, pledge educator, VP
• Other various positions
1) Social Chair Mortar Board (academic club)
2) Vice President of National Society Collegiate Scholars

Really have no clue how my application would stack up with mid to top tier schools. I'm a CA resident and would preferably like to stay here. Any advice on what type schools to look at based on my information would be greatly appreciated (don't have to be in CA).

Members don't see this ad.

Extracurricular:
• 700 + hours of fraternity involvement – held academic advisor, pledge educator, VP

Really have no clue how my application would stack up with mid to top tier schools. I'm a CA resident and would preferably like to stay here. Any advice on what type schools to look at based on my information would be greatly appreciated (don't have to be in CA).

You are competitive for mid tier UC's, such as Irvine and Davis. Apply for SD and LA as reaches, if you don't wnat to sell yourself short. Use the MSAR for out of state schools to see which ones have a higher acceptance rate for out of state applicants.

Good luck!

You are competitive for mid tier UC's, such as Irvine and Davis. Apply for SD and LA as reaches, if you don't wnat to sell yourself short. Use the MSAR for out of state schools to see which ones have a higher acceptance rate for out of state applicants.

Good luck!

I think he is fairly competitive for either LA or SD with SF and Stanford being the true reaches. I am not sure when you're applying but if you apply early and broadly you should get at least one II in CA. If I was to guess a number of interviews you get in Cali, I would pick at least 3 maybe 4. You're competitive in many other places though and have a great shot at top 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he is fairly competitive for either LA or SD with SF and Stanford being the true reaches. I am not sure when you're applying but if you apply early and broadly you should get at least one II in CA. If I was to guess a number of interviews you get in Cali, I would pick at least 3 maybe 4. You're competitive in many other places though and have a great shot at top 20.

Just no. Nobody is guaranteed that many Cali interviews. Reality check

Somebody can back me up on that.

Just no. Nobody is guaranteed that many Cali interviews. Reality check

Somebody can back me up on that.

Read what I said carefully before replying. I said "my guess" not a "guarantee". Huge difference.

Read what I said carefully before replying. I said "my guess" not a "guarantee". Huge difference.

Okay, point taken.

My guess is 2 Cali interviews. (could be at any of the schools)

I'm not an expert on CA schools, but I'd expect you to get some IS invites.

I think you have an all-around solid app. Applying widely through top 50ish schools would, I expect, net you some acceptances. Not sure if you've got enough "X factor" or whatever to count on top 10-20s, but you never know what they're looking for and it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Good luck!

I'm not an expert on CA schools, but I'd expect you to get some IS invites.

I think you have an all-around solid app. Applying widely through top 50ish schools would, I expect, net you some acceptances. Not sure if you've got enough "X factor" or whatever to count on top 10-20s, but you never know what they're looking for and it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input everyone! As far as the "x-factor" goes, would you recommend focusing on more extracurriculars to potentially garner more attention from top 10-20 medical schools?

Thanks for the input everyone! As far as the "x-factor" goes, would you recommend focusing on more extracurriculars to potentially garner more attention from top 10-20 medical schools?

Everyone has their own idea of what x-factor means. To me it is means having a cohesive narrative and fitting your activities into that narrative.

Great stats, nothing wrong with aiming high!

Extracurricular: