SGU self-reported stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwells46

MD, MPH, MSM
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone verify these?

• 99 percent of St. George's eligible US medical school grads obtain the residency of their choice in the United States.

• About 25 percent of the University's medical grads are named Chief Resident during their residencies.

If the first one is true, then why would anyone worry about getting a US residency after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the stat is that 99% of eligible grads obtain a residency. (Keeping in mind that attrition during the early years is significantly higher than US schools.) They might have chosen residency differently though had they gone to another school, scored better on tests, not been an FMG, etc. I think it would be misleading to say that just because a grad ranked a residency for the match implies that it is their residency of choice. I'm sure there are many grads that would prefer a specialty like Anesthesiology but due to their test scores or situation, they rank (and thus "prefer" sort of) Internal medicine residencies.

Interesting to note however, that this 99% appears higher than the published numbers for the school. The reason for this, I have been told, is because a proportionally larger percent of SGU grads obtain residency outside of the match in comparison to US med schools. It's hard to verify this, but I think that all will agree that SGU does have a solid track record of placing residents. I'm still early in the application process, and this info is just what I've gathered from reading between the lines and talking to admissions offices.

That Chief Resident stat is pretty amazing. I've never read or heard that, but it would be impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I recently read that chief resident statistic as well. Actually the guy who interviewed me was chief resident at his hospital and told me several of his friends from SGU are chief residents at their hospitals. From speaking to him, it seems like it's true...= awesome!

In reference to the Chief Resident stats...

If you think about what it takes to leave North America and go to a developing country to study medicine, then it is in line with the type of attitude required to be a chief resident.

Stats are more important to American med students, whereas attitude and a tough character play a big role in surviving the Caribbean schools. You can see where I am going with this.

In reference to the Chief Resident stats...

If you think about what it takes to leave North America and go to a developing country to study medicine, then it is in line with the type of attitude required to be a chief resident.

Stats are more important to American med students, whereas attitude and a tough character play a big role in surviving the Caribbean schools. You can see where I am going with this.

I graduated 2000 SGU and have not me another SGU grad in practice that was NOT a Chief in residency. After I served as Chief, it devalued the title and position.;)

Well, numbers are deceiving, but that is impressive that so many from the Caribbean become Chief Resident. Let's remember though, board scores and going to a US allopathic school still count for a huge chunk of becoming a chief resident anyways. We can speculate on here why 25% of Carib grads from SGU get chief resident, but I like to think of it as guys who should have gotten into US schools but had something stupid excluding them out. Perseverance only takes you so far.

Students that come out of the carribbean are often the top notch students in their class. They are often viewed as students who could have easily done the same at any allopathic institution. It is no surprise that many of them become chief. The fact that they are top notch students and are obviously bright, motivated, and dedicated, they also have the extra motivation of proving to the rest of their collegues that they do in fact belong there, so they probably try as hard as anyone else to get that Chief resident position.

Now the trick is becoming that top notch student. It is something that only a minority portion of each class obtains.