Shadow/Volunteer DC Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuhLeePlay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a place to volunteer in the DC area (specifically Northern Virginia) and most places I have found either don't take volunteers or are very unresponsive. I was wondering if anyone could point out any clinics they have volunteered in this area?

Thanks to all!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain. Im not around that area but Im sure if you find a nursing home, they will be glad to take you! OT are not really popular in hospital settings. Im sure you can find a school as well. However, keep calling and emailing the place. Be pushy about it because when you think of it, majority of front desk people or whoever tend to forget easily. Call or email and leave a message. If you really want it, you ll do whatever it takes ! Good luck!

You can absolutely find OTs in the hospitals in the DC area, so that's incorrect that OTs are not popular in hospital settings. You definitely have to be persistent, though, in order to get a response sometimes, and depending on the time of year and which hospital it is, they may not have much, if any availability when you call them. The Inova system, which is made up of multiple hospitals, employs OTs at nearly all of them - I did observations at Fairfax (level 1 trauma center and they have OTs in the TICU, among other depts), Mt. Vernon Rehab and Loudoun. Alexandria wanted me to do 100 hours of volunteering before career observation, which I just couldn't do, schedule-wise. Fair Oaks also has OTs, I believe. You just have to be persistent sometimes (just not rude or annoying). Virginia Hospital Center also has OTs (not sure if they take observers), as do some of the hospitals in the city.

There are also a bunch of pediatric clinics in the area - you'd just have to call and see if they take observers. Same with skilled nursing facilities and retirement communities.