Shadowing a dentist question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beannaithe

Bionerd
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many hours of shadowing are required by dental admissions?

I've shadowed a general dentist for about 60 hours. But I'm starting to wonder if that's not enough. I just read online that Temple (my #1 choice) requires 90. :eek: Does anyone know anything about that in particular?

Any kind of help would be great!

Thanks. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

beannaithe said:

I've shadowed a general dentist for about 60 hours. But I'm starting to wonder if that's not enough. I just read online that Temple (my #1 choice) requires 90. :eek: Does anyone know anything about that in particular?

That should be enough at most schools, while I think UMKC requires around 90-100 observation hours or at least strongly recommends that amount. In any event, it would depend on the school. It might be an option to contact prospective admissions offices and inquire directly. Take care and GOD Bless.

schools have a req? def didn't worry about that during applicatiion process.. just shadow as much as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
rocknightmare said:
schools have a req? def didn't worry about that during applicatiion process.. just shadow as much as you can.

Certain schools do require observation. For example, Ohio State requires at least 20 hrs of observation time at a general dentist's office. This can be found here

Literature I received from UMKC did specify around 90-100 of observation time. Like most admissions processes, theses things vary from each institution. Take care and GOD Bless.

Shadow as much as you can. More than likely if you start talking about it with you dentist, he'll ask how many hours you need to have and miraculously your form will show that many hours.

I had about 180 hours of shadowing with the same GP and he said "why don't we put 240 and call it even." I didn't say no.

lol.
man i just added how many hours i have shadowed at the different pratices.. it barely adds up to 100 i guess ineed to do more :0

going to try to shadow ortho next week, and maybe perio this summer.

beannaithe said:

60 hours is great! While I don't know about Temple and their shadowing requirement, if it is 90 hours then you are 1/3 the way there and there is plenty of time to get that in.

beannaithe said:

Can I ask where you found the 90 hour requirement for Temple? I'm applying there too and I wasn't aware of it. Right now I have only shadowed about 50-60 hours.