Shadowing a Neurologist or Neurosurgeon

c5212

to look fly in scrubs
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior in high school interested in shadowing a neurologist or neurosurgeon at a local hospital--- Is it difficult for a high school student to be able to shadow a doctor, more-so than a college student? --- Also, if anyone has shadowed a doctor, please give me a brief overview of what you did during the day. Thanks in advance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a junior in high school interested in shadowing a neurologist or neurosurgeon at a local hospital--- Is it difficult for a high school student to be able to shadow a doctor, more-so than a college student? --- Also, if anyone has shadowed a doctor, please give me a brief overview of what you did during the day. Thanks in advance! :D

It might be, since you're in class longer than a college student.

A word of caution thought, it would be best if you're local hospital was a teaching hospital. I tried to shadow at my local hospital once but couldn't because of HIPAA.

Last edited:
C5212,

I'm a freshman in college now, and I will be shadowing a neurosurgeon in three weeks. Here's what I did; go to your local hospital webpage, or go to the academic hospital's website (if it's not too far from where you live). Almost every department has a little biography about each doctor, and apparently, almost every doctor's e-mail address is located on their biography page. I looked at the photographs of the doctors, and the one that seemed to me the most polite, I sent them an e-mail. Lucky for me, and within 24 hours I got an e-mail back from a neurosurgeon who was happy to let me shadow. If I have shadowed her, I will let you know what it's like :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Most doctors are personable and are more than willing to allow you to shadow them. High school or college it doesn't matter particularly to them. I shadowed a vitreo-retinal and corneal-refractive surgeon my days were like this.
8:00 AM First patient arrives, follow physician for patient encounters, allowed to view through slit lamp/ophthalmoscope/indirect ophtalmoscope.
Noon: Break
1:00-6:00 More patient encounters.
Some days I would scrub in on cases. I was allowed to observe cataracts, vitrectomies, scleral buckles. In the office I saw several procedures including kenalog injections, Pneumatics, Lucentis/Avastin injection and Lasers.

Wow, only 4 replies yet over a thousand views. I'm also a junior in high school and I recently shadowed a physician. He was my aunts neighbor/friend though so I'm not sure if he would have still let me if I was just some random person. He wasnt a neurologist or neurosurgeon though, he was an oncologist.

Hey, I havent shadowed a surgeon although I plan to. I shadowed a physician couples of months back. I am a medical student and it was pretty interesting to see how it all connects and applies to what you learn. Although the doctors personality is a big factor. I shadowed 3 doctors simultananeously within 2 weeks (thats how it goes here) and all 3 were SO different, and I was lucky to see how your personality changes the entire medicine, the patient interaction, their progress etc. Its an encouraging thing to go ahead and shadow. What ever it is, or who ever you shadow, it will end up to be a good experience. Gauranteed !

I agree with a lot that has been said here. I was in all your shoes when I was in college and thinking of going into mediciine. The only thing I would change from what has been mentioned here is go to the offices fo the physicians/surgeons you are interested in shadowing. Introduce yourself and tell the staff why you are there. Let them know you are interested into pursuing a career in medicine and would like to speak with Dr. XXXXX if he could fit you into his schedule. If that physician/surgeon is truly interested in meeting with you, he/she she will make time for you either then or at another time. If they are not in the office, the office staff might give you the doctor's e-mail address or ask for yours. At that point, e-mail is acceptable. But until they ask for yours or give you theirs, the most appropriate thing is to go to the office in person (dressed in business attire). Visiting the office in person instead of just sending a random e-mail shows you are at least a little more serious about pursuing medicine because you took your time to meet them in person.

That is my 2 cents on this.