Shadowing??? NO No

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATkilla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering. I asked to shadow a dentist recently and he said he does not accept observers because of some insurance privacy act and so on. Did anyone have this problem when they wanted to shadow and how did you get around it?

Members don't see this ad.

DATkilla said:
I am just wondering. I asked to shadow a dentist recently and he said he does not accept observers because of some insurance privacy act and so on. Did anyone have this problem when they wanted to shadow and how did you get around it?

Ask another dentist. :p Shadowing a dentist is required by many schools so obviously they make an exception for dental school applicants in regards to insurance privacy whatever.

The dentists I've shadowed asked the patients if it was ok that I was there and then made a note in the chart.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, to be honest with you, many dentists either don't want to take the time, or see too many patients (if they are in a big group) to feel they can adequately show you what is going on...these are the companies that the dentist I observed called the "meat processing plants." Go thru the motions, get em in, get em out...dont worry about saving them money...just worry about time! Just look somewhere else. I had to call 4 places before I found one willing to allow anyone to shadow...and they were 7 miles away. I wouldn't waste my time going through all the laws and insur. policies...just find another doctor...IMO :)

That dentist is referring to hippa... As long as the dentist asks the patient for consent, then there isnt an issue... that is what my dentist does...

DATkilla said:

My guess is that he just doesn't want you to come in. It doesn't mean he is a bad guy; he just isn't comfortable with someone watching him. Just move on and you will find somebody.

you can also try volunteering at a local dental clinic. thats where i did my shadowing, and they were great abt letting me observe and explaining what they were doing.

Ask another dentist. Hippa isn't so strict that with consent it cannot be approved for you to observe. You'll probably find that most other dentists will either just do what the others above said or have you sign some forms about privacy...just move on.