shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trichic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently shadowing at an outpatient ortho clinic. I understand that due to liability issues, I am limited to what I am allowed to do. For those who have shadowed, what were some of the responsibilities that your clinics allowed you to do? Also, the PTs are so busy with patients or catching up on their paperwork, when did you find it to be the appropriate time to ask questions?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get to actually do anything during the only observation I have done so far, but I did ask a lot of questions about what they were doing and general questions about the career of PT. I asked questions right after they finished with patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
when i shadowed i helped out with things like laundry, cleaning the beds after patients used them, volunteering to run and grab a piece of equipment or theraband...

honestly the best thing you can do is get there early before the patients, and have a chat about this. Ask when the appropriate time to ask questions are and tell them you want to be as involved as you legally can. If they are even half as nice as those I shadowed, they will be more than willing to let you do some of the 'chores' and answer questions as well as guide you and introduce you to their patients.

Last edited:
when i shadowed i helped out with things like laundry, cleaning the beds after patients used them, volunteering to run and grab a piece of equipment or theraband...

honestly the best thing you can do is get there early before the patients, and have a chat about this. Ask when the appropriate time to ask questions are and tell them you want to be as involved as you legally can. If they are even half as nice as those I shadowed, they will be more than willing to let you do some of the 'chores' and answer questions as well as guide you and introduce you to their patients.

This^

But for the most part I think it depends on the PT also. Not to mention the longer you shadow a PT and get to know them, the more they will allow you to do as well as open up.
Many times the PT I shadow allows me to feel certain thing on patients, of course after consent from patient.

Each state is different as to what a non-licensed person is allowed to do. I think in IL an "aide" who is trainined by a licensed person is allowed to perform some modalities, such as ultrasound, etc - DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS THOUGH AS I'M GOING WHAT I HAVE HEARD - I do not work in IL so I don't know.

I work in GA, and this is what the GA Board states non-licensed persons (or aides) can perform:

"Physical therapy aide" means a person who only performs designated and
supervised physical therapy tasks. The physical therapy aide must receive direct
supervision and must be directed on the premises at all times by a licensee. Physical​
therapy aides are not licensed under this chapter.

A physical therapy aide is one, other than a physical therapist or physical therapist
assistant, who is employed to assist a physical therapist or a physical therapist assistant
by performing only designated physical therapy tasks under direct supervision of a​
licensee as approved by the board by rule or regulation.

Take what you want from that, but I think it states in there somewhere that you must be licensed to perform specific PT tasks such as modalities, manual techniques, etc.

If you want to get more involved, then you may need to find a location that has a PT that is more willing to answer questions, let you assist in treatments, etc.

Each PT is different, and some really just don't want to help. It's like that in every profession, you just have to find someone who is compassionate and willing to get you involved.

I guess it varies on the practice, but where I shadow, my primary responsibilities include preparing cold and hot packs, wiping down the tables, helping patients onto a piece of equipment or grabbing a theraband/rope for them, taking off elec. stim electrodes, and laundry. It's pretty boring. I'm pretty comfortable at the clinic I shadow and get along great with the PT's, so it's a real relaxed atmosphere. I would ask questions whenever a PT has an available moment. I'm sure they won't bite.

If you want to get more involved, then you may need to find a location that has a PT that is more willing to answer questions, let you assist in treatments, etc.

Totally agree

If you're being paid as a tech/aide, then yeah, you're going to have to do a lot of tedious boring stuff like laundry and cleaning. But if you're a volunteer, then that shouldn't be taking up the majority of your time. I've worked at 3 different places (all paid) and have always had amazing PTs who were willing to answer my questions. I'd help w/ the patients walking or throwing weighted balls or whatever and the patients almost always were fine with the PT explaining to me the nature of the injury/treatment plan/etc. They wanted to help me become a better student. So if the PTs you're working with now aren't willing to answer your questions, then you might want to find something different. Personally I'd recommend a hospital/rehab place if possible.

when i shadowed, it was almost always pretty boring but ALL of the thereapists i volunteered with were wonderful. they too would let me throw a weighted ball with some patients, transport some and even play cards with a few of the in-patients. they ALWAYS introduced me to patients, interacted with/explained things to me and answered all of my questions honestly and thouroughly. it's not very glamourous but def. make sure to observe good therapists so your time is well spent.