Sharing my good news!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmGrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm going to share a little story of my struggle with pharmacy school....it seems like it might end well, though!

I am a non-traditional student, married to a Marine, and have been moving all over the place, all while trying to get pre-requisites done for pharmacy school. I have completed all of the pre-req's (finished them up in 2010), but have had some set-backs with the school out here not wanting some of the classes, such as Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry that I took on the East coast. Needless to say, I was devastated. I was faced with retaking all of those courses, or finding something else to do. I explored a few other options, but I have wanted to be a pharmacist for so long that I can't think of anything else I could possibly want to do. I challenged the school on their decision about my credits, and they relented, saying I could use them for a bachelor's degree, but they would not count as the pre-req's for the pharmacy program. Either way, if I wanted to go to school there, I was retaking some core science classes. I am hard headed, and was not going to do that.

I called a school in North Carolina and had a nice long talk with someone in the SOP who was extremely helpful! She had me send her my unofficial transcripts, checked out my classes, and said the only thing I need to do is take the PCAT. Been there, done that (6 years ago). I'll do it again, though! She said "I'm on fire!"

This is not intended to motivate anyone (but if it does, that's fine) or be some kind of sappy post or anything of the sort. Just a story about how happy I am that things might finally be working out in my favor!

I have not been accepted, and am not applying until this summer for the 2013 school year, and I realize I am being optimistic. Hopefully not overly optimistic!

Thanks for reading! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all!

I'm going to share a little story of my struggle with pharmacy school....it seems like it might end well, though!

I am a non-traditional student, married to a Marine, and have been moving all over the place, all while trying to get pre-requisites done for pharmacy school. I have completed all of the pre-req's (finished them up in 2010), but have had some set-backs with the school out here not wanting some of the classes, such as Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry that I took on the East coast. Needless to say, I was devastated. I was faced with retaking all of those courses, or finding something else to do. I explored a few other options, but I have wanted to be a pharmacist for so long that I can't think of anything else I could possibly want to do. I challenged the school on their decision about my credits, and they relented, saying I could use them for a bachelor's degree, but they would not count as the pre-req's for the pharmacy program. Either way, if I wanted to go to school there, I was retaking some core science classes. I am hard headed, and was not going to do that.

I called a school in North Carolina and had a nice long talk with someone in the SOP who was extremely helpful! She had me send her my unofficial transcripts, checked out my classes, and said the only thing I need to do is take the PCAT. Been there, done that (6 years ago). I'll do it again, though! She said "I'm on fire!"

This is not intended to motivate anyone (but if it does, that's fine) or be some kind of sappy post or anything of the sort. Just a story about how happy I am that things might finally be working out in my favor!

I have not been accepted, and am not applying until this summer for the 2013 school year, and I realize I am being optimistic. Hopefully not overly optimistic!

:thumbup: keep that fire inside you burning! Good luck! :)

Great news! Congratulations on your advancement.

So - now I am curious... What was their reasoning for not accepting your credits? Any credits that come from an accredited university should count correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great news! Congratulations on your advancement.

So - now I am curious... What was their reasoning for not accepting your credits? Any credits that come from an accredited university should count correct?
The reasoning for them not accepting my credits were a couple. They did not like the course numbers of my core science classes. I was also attending college where the hours were in semesters, and they use quarters out here, so they were using the fact that the hours did not convert as a reason to reject the course work as well, even though it was equivalent work. Also, I took the Organic Chemistry at a community college, and they did not like that it was not an upper division course and were penalizing me for that, as well.

I appealed these issues to the Admissions Committee for the SOP and was told that I was going to have to retake them if I wanted to apply to their program, and that the decision would stand. I was also told that it did not matter to them where I went to pharmacy school, and they have thousands of other applicants who meet the pre-req's so there was no reason to make an exception to my case.

This experience taught me that there are schools that can choose to accept or not accept a student for whatever reasons they like. Unfortunately, I had taken these courses before we moved out here, and the move was ordered by the military.

Last edited:
Hello all!

Always great to see stories like these. Keep up that positive attitude and everything will keep going your way :thumbup:

PharmGrl

your story is motivating me through this semester:thumbup: I'm feeling awful and over stress on my grade of this semester. Plus, I'm transfering to a different campus, summer school, study for PTCB, and a hyper 3 year olds son.....sometime I just want to quit everything and give-up. But stories like yours really keep me going unstil this day...thanks and keep the fire burning:D