Shenandoah University School of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringPharmD2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was looking for 2018 SU thread but I could not find one. So, I'm starting one here. I had an interview last week at Ashburn campus. I loved everything about the school, and it's one of my top choices. I am waiting to hear back soon ! What about you guys ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have interview on November 1 at Ashburn campus. I've visited the campus once before because a good friend of mine goes there and I liked it. How was the interview?

Planning to add this school after I finish my CA supplemental. There's no supplemental for Shenandoah, right? But I do have to submit $30 fee to the school? Just want to clarify because I can't seem to find a supplemental form or anything.

Oh and can anyone let me know the difference between the two campuses? And if you're allowed to indicate a preference for a campus or will they put you into whichever?

Thanks guys! Goodluck on your interviews :thumbup::thumbup::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have interview on November 1 at Ashburn campus. I've visited the campus once before because a good friend of mine goes there and I liked it. How was the interview?
Hi Sumiii,

The interview was very laid back. Everyone is super nice. I think I did well (from my perspective). The questions were very similar to that mentioned in interview feedback.

Planning to add this school after I finish my CA supplemental. There's no supplemental for Shenandoah, right? But I do have to submit $30 fee to the school? Just want to clarify because I can't seem to find a supplemental form or anything.

Oh and can anyone let me know the difference between the two campuses? And if you're allowed to indicate a preference for a campus or will they put you into whichever?

Thanks guys! Goodluck on your interviews :thumbup::thumbup::luck:
Hi trangtn,

Yes, there is no supplemental application. You just need to submit $30. From what I know (if I'm not wrong), you get to choose between both the campuses after you've been accepted.

Ashburn campus: urban setting, small classes, more video lectures
Winchester campus: slightly rural setting, big classes, more direct interaction with professors

I have only heard positives about both the campuses :)

Just received my interview invite by email. I'm shocked to say the least. I just submitted my app 10/4. Anybody think this is a mistake?

I got an email yesterday saying I have been placed on the Alternate list :confused:

I also just submitted my application on 10/5 and got an interview invite yesterday. I don't think its a mistake :) I scheduled mine for November 9th have you scheduled yet?

Hey! I was going to do 11/9 as well. I wanted to interview at the Ashburn campus but according to Ms. Lynn they aren't conducting interviews on Saturdays for that campus, so I'll be at Winchester.

Last edited:
I heard there was no Essay prompt, is that true?

According to the email I was sent no, just bring a notebook and pen if you'd like to take notes. I have my interview next month. You can also check out the interview feedback on sdn's main site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that. It's early in the year though, you may still have a chance :) How do you think you did during the interview?
Jasscript,

The interview went pretty well. It was quite informal and both the professor and the student were very nice to me. I am pretty sure it's just my PCAT score that has put me into the alternate list :)

Hey AspiringPharmD2
I was wondering have you taken PCAT yet? or are you just taking it again?

Jasscript,

The interview went pretty well. It was quite informal and both the professor and the student were very nice to me. I am pretty sure it's just my PCAT score that has put me into the alternate list :)

Thanks for the info. I saw on the website the minimum composite was 70. My pcat wasn't so great either. However, I will have my bachelor's in may. That may be enough to sway them.

Hey everyone! i have my interview for winchester campus 10/22. Any tips?? also for anyone that has interviewed here, what kinds of questions do they ask??

Hey guys sorry for spam I got 1 more question,
For those who have seen the campuses (ashburn and Winchester), which do you guys prefer? They both look very welcoming but do they each have their own building for pharmacy or does only ashburn have it's own pharmacy building?

Hi, Can you guys advice me sth: I am invited for an interview in Nov, I haven't select the date yet. My GPA is 3.9, science and math is 4.0. But my PCAT is only 65 (the first time) . Do you think I have chance in the interview? I am flying from Dallas, lots of air fee. Thank you.

Hi, Can you guys advice me sth: I am invited for an interview in Nov, I haven't select the date yet. My GPA is 3.9, science and math is 4.0. But my PCAT is only 65 (the first time) . Do you think I have chance in the interview? I am flying from Dallas, lots of air fee. Thank you.
Hey Im sure you received an interview invite because they saw something unique in your application. Its not always about numbers. your GPA is awesome so that makes up for your PCAT. I have a GPA of 2.98 with an 85 PCAT and received an interview invite as well. Never doubt yourself! we all have strengths in different areas.

Thanks. Just because, I read on their website about last year's statistics: average PCAT 82%. That scares me. I select Nov 20. How about you?

Thanks. Just because, I read on their website about last year's statistics: average PCAT 82%. That scares me. I select Nov 20. How about you?

Yeah don't worry about the PCAT that much. I have a friend who got accepted with a 60 on her PCAT. Good luck!

Hey everyone! I have my interview on 11/08 at winchester campus. Any good tips? From what I have heard it is just one 30 minute interview and a tour of the campus...is that all?

Hey everyone! I have my interview on 11/08 at winchester campus. Any good tips? From what I have heard it is just one 30 minute interview and a tour of the campus...is that all?

Hey Hydro - I interviewed at Shenandoah a few days ago at Winchester. It really is just a 30 minute interview and a tour of the campus! But honestly, it was quite sufficient. I met with a faculty member and a student, and we ended up having a wonderful conversation instead of just a standard Q & A session. They were very personable and I felt so comfortable talking to them. It's a small school, so they're really focused on finding the right fit - not only making sure that you'll fit them, but that they will fit you. So you'll be asked various moral/ethical response questions - be sure to check out the school's interview feedback page.

The tour is one on one with the student. He answered any and all of my questions and was an excellent source of "real talk" about Shenandoah school life... so definitely take advantage of that when you go!

One last note - if you can, take a drive through Winchester, particularly the downtown part. It'll only take you about 10-15 minutes and it'll give you a good idea of where you'll be spending the next 4 years of your life. Personally, I found it quaint and charming, my kinda town.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Hydro - I interviewed at Shenandoah a few days ago at Winchester. It really is just a 30 minute interview and a tour of the campus! But honestly, it was quite sufficient. I met with a faculty member and a student, and we ended up having a wonderful conversation instead of just a standard Q & A session. They were very personable and I felt so comfortable talking to them. It's a small school, so they're really focused on finding the right fit - not only making sure that you'll fit them, but that they will fit you. So you'll be asked various moral/ethical response questions - be sure to check out the school's interview feedback page.

The tour is one on one with the student. He answered any and all of my questions and was an excellent source of "real talk" about Shenandoah school life... so definitely take advantage of that when you go!

One last note - if you can, take a drive through Winchester, particularly the downtown part. It'll only take you about 10-15 minutes and it'll give you a good idea of where you'll be spending the next 4 years of your life. Personally, I found it quaint and charming, my kinda town.

Hey Pasta,

i was wondering did you hear back from your interviews yet? or have you gotten accepted already?

No problem! an average is just an average. There are scores above and below the 82 percentile so don't worry! mine is this Monday 10/28!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Pasta,

i was wondering did you hear back from your interviews yet? or have you gotten accepted already?

Nope!
Let me start with a timeline for anyone who might be interested:
Submitted PharmCAS 9/17
Mailed 9/23
Sent $30 fee probably around 9/30??
Received interview invitation 10/8
Interviewed 10/22

Dr. Marks (interviewer) and Stephanie (receptionist?) informed me that the Admissions Committee meets on Mondays, so my application would not be reviewed until then - HOWEVER! They also reassured me that the AdCom makes decisions very quickly and thus I could expect to hear an answer by the end of the week.

--------------------
Other notes from my interview:

The deposit is $1000 but Shenandoah doesn't have a 4 week deadline like most schools. You have until April or thereabouts to pay it but they do recommend securing your seat asap if you know that's where you want to go.

OH! Super important: the pharmacy school is located on a separate campus about 15 minutes away from the main campus. So definitely look up the correct address to the actual building first ... my tour through Winchester was involuntary, but worked out since I liked what I saw.

Nope!
Let me start with a timeline for anyone who might be interested:
Submitted PharmCAS 9/17
Mailed 9/23
Sent $30 fee probably around 9/30??
Received interview invitation 10/8
Interviewed 10/22

Dr. Marks (interviewer) and Stephanie (receptionist?) informed me that the Admissions Committee meets on Mondays, so my application would not be reviewed until then - HOWEVER! They also reassured me that the AdCom makes decisions very quickly and thus I could expect to hear an answer by the end of the week.

--------------------
Other notes from my interview:

The deposit is $1000 but Shenandoah doesn't have a 4 week deadline like most schools. You have until April or thereabouts to pay it but they do recommend securing your seat asap if you know that's where you want to go.

OH! Super important: the pharmacy school is located on a separate campus about 15 minutes away from the main campus. So definitely look up the correct address to the actual building first ... my tour through Winchester was involuntary, but worked out since I liked what I saw.

Awesome! thanks i had my interview 22nd as well so just waiting!! hopefully we both get in :). I had my interview in ashburn. I think i like ashburn thought but idk.

Hey guys sorry for spam I got 1 more question,
For those who have seen the campuses (ashburn and Winchester), which do you guys prefer? They both look very welcoming but do they each have their own building for pharmacy or does only ashburn have it's own pharmacy building?

Winchester does have the Bernard J Dunn building which is labelled as the "pharmacy building" but I did see other students - nursing, physician's assistants - there too - one of the halls is being renovated to offer classes to them. It's part of an initiative to incorporate the students together as part of a healthcare team, or so I was told. Anyway, the pharmacy classrooms have webcams/mics built in so students from both campuses can see and hear each other.

My favorite parts of the Winchester campus were the Apothecary shop and the Medicinal Plants Lab. The professor in charge of the lab is very passionate about it, he showed me some new plant he's growing to combat malaria! Neat stuff.

I had my interview on Friday at the Ashburn campus. My interview was with a P2 student and the assistant dean; they were super nice! The interview was very conversational and extremely laid back. It was closed file and they had no questions in front of them. They just went back and forth to ask questions or they'd build a question off of what my response was. Hope that helps people with their interview!

anyone got accepted here? if you did can you tell me when you did your interview and how long it took them to give you a response?

Just had my interview today. I'll update when I hear any news. The interview went extremely well. My interviewers were a male professor and a male p2 student and it was closed file. They were both extremely friendly, welcoming etc. The interview was conducted very casually, they had a list of questions and stuck to that for the most part. Other side conversations were had based upon my answers to previous questions.
I left feeling very confident.

I am gonna have the interview in Ashburn next week. I don't know what hotel is around under $80. I will go to Dulles Airport. Can anyone recommend some? Thanks a lot.

I got accepted, but will be declining. Good luck to all of you!

anyone got accepted here? if you did can you tell me when you did your interview and how long it took them to give you a response?
Just received my acceptance email yesterday, interviewed on Saturday the 9th so they are very fast! They told me the adcom meets every monday, and usually emails on their decision are sent out on Tuesday. But she did tell me they were getting pretty busy and not to worry if you don't hear back right away. Good luck :)

Just received my acceptance email yesterday, interviewed on Saturday the 9th so they are very fast! They told me the adcom meets every monday, and usually emails on their decision are sent out on Tuesday. But she did tell me they were getting pretty busy and not to worry if you don't hear back right away. Good luck :)
Which campus did you go for an interview?

this might be a dumb question but do we just make the supplemental check out to "shanandoah university" or is there some other title they want us to use?

What are my chances if I'll have a 2.77 gpa at the end of the semester and I'm retaking my pcat jn January. I'm a certified pharmacy tech at walmart for about 1.5 years and I have done medical lab research for two years. Will graduate in May with a BA in interdepartmental studies with a focus in health science

What are my chances if I'll have a 2.77 gpa at the end of the semester and I'm retaking my pcat jn January. I'm a certified pharmacy tech at walmart for about 1.5 years and I have done medical lab research for two years. Will graduate in May with a BA in interdepartmental studies with a focus in health science

Hi you have good experience just nail the PCAT (85+) to offset your GPA and you should be alright in my opinion. That's what I did but my GPA was slightly higher and I didn't have a lot of Pharmacy experience.

Hi you have good experience just nail the PCAT (85+) to offset your GPA and you should be alright in my opinion. That's what I did but my GPA was slightly higher and I didn't have a lot of Pharmacy experience.
Hey thanks! I'm gonna study all winter break literally all break. I don't understand how so many people walk out of there with like a 90 and here I am struggling to get past the lower end. Each time I took the pcat my score went up by 1. So frustrating!!!

Which campus did you go for an interview?
Winchester, it's a very nice campus. The area is good too, the people I spoke with at the school told me to check out the walking mall which is only a few minutes away. Seems like a fun place.

Hey thanks! I'm gonna study all winter break literally all break. I don't understand how so many people walk out of there with like a 90 and here I am struggling to get past the lower end. Each time I took the pcat my score went up by 1. So frustrating!!!

I will personally advice you to concentrate on other areas of the application and make them strong enough especially your letters of recommendations and extracurricular activities which include pharmacy experience. I'm speaking from experience; i took january and june Pcat and none of them was close to 50 percentile. I knew my situation and i was not willing to retake Pcat so i talked with my adviser and she told me exactly what i mentioned earlier on. So far i have total of 8 interview invites, i have attended 2 and gotten accepted in both. declined 3 interviews and will be declining more.
FYI.... i dont even have a first degree and my gpa is not crazy high... Good Luck!!!

The Ad-com met today. Anyone hear anything? I interviewed last Wed in Ashburn. I hope to hear sth good or bad before the holiday.

Submitted pharmcas 10/4
Mailed 10/14
Interview invite 10/10
Interview 11/9
Accepted 11/12

Has anyone received there acceptance package yet? Just checking, it's been almost a month since receiving my acceptance email.

Submitted pharmcas 10/4
Mailed 10/14
Interview invite 10/10
Interview 11/9
Accepted 11/12

Has anyone received there acceptance package yet? Just checking, it's been almost a month since receiving my acceptance email.
I got accepted on 11/12 as well, but I haven't received the package that was supposedly arriving on a later date..

I was going to email Stephanie, but since you haven't received it either maybe they don't have the package put together yet. I'll wait until after the holidays if we don't get anything.

If anybody is wondering, the acceptance packages should be sent out this week per an email from Stephanie.

Have any of you guys decided to attend yet?