Shooting myself in the foot with a 3.50 sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GavinThePremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm about to graduate from Teacher's College. To be honest, I want to be done with undergrad. My sGPA was crap my junior year, and senior year I took a lot of upper level science classes (and am doing so again next semester) to salvage my sGPA.

With all of that effort, I'm left with a 3.70 cGPA, 3.50 sGPA, 36 MCAT. I'd like to have multiple interviews and at least one MD acceptance.

That being said, should I take a year to take some more upper level science courses and increase my sGPA to around a 3.70 (3.80 cGPA) and then apply? Or should I bite the bullet and apply this upcoming summer with the numbers I already have?

My confidence is just blown when I see that sGPA.

Members don't see this ad.

With good ECs your competitive now for mid tier.
Edit: Ace your classes next semester. Apply broadly. Yada yada.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a good sGPA. Get As and don't worry about it. The MCAT is fantastic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We have almost the same stats! You'll be fine; there's no need to take extra science classes.

Assuming your EC's cover the typical bases, with a good list you will do fine for MD. Relax.

We have almost the same stats! You'll be fine; there's no need to take extra science classes.
Hey I checked out your MDApps page, I'm a Virginia resident too! Congrats on all the success this cycle, and good luck in Medical School, I'm sure you'll kick butt!

And thanks everyone for reassuring me, as much as I try not to be, the neurotic premed possess me sometimes. Best to all.

With good ECs, you should be very competitive for the mid-tier MD schools and possibly a few of the higher ranked ones as well. A top 30 school is very reasonable IF your ECs, LORs, and essays are all excellent.