Short on clinical hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrat50

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey sdn,

So I'm getting my ECs in order. All ECs are strong expect my "clinical" ECs (on paper anyways). It looks like I'll have roughly 70-80 clinical volunteering hours when I apply. Is this considered too low? I'll also have >40 hours additional hours shadowing a DO along with a LOR. I plan to indicate that I will continue with my volunteering during this coming year.

The clinical hours I've put in have been meaningful and are enough for me to confidently say I know what I'm getting into. Not sure what ADCOMS will have to say.

For perspective- my cGPA/sGPA is >3.8 and my MCAT 25 (6VR).
Applying broadly DO only

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Get those hrs > 100. Shadowing =/= clinical volunteering.

So I'm getting my ECs in order. All ECs are strong expect my "clinical" ECs (on paper anyways). It looks like I'll have roughly 70-80 clinical volunteering hours when I apply. Is this considered too low? I'll also have >40 hours additional hours shadowing a DO along with a LOR. I plan to indicate that I will continue with my volunteering during this coming year.

Thanks Goro. I'll work on getting another weekly volunteering shift added before I apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still working on upping those hours to >100.
In the interest of submitting early, should I:
A.) Submit to one school when the app opens to get verified and wait to send to all other schools when I have more hours?
Or
B) Submit to all schools at once and then send an update through AACOMAS to all schools with my extra hours (I believe this is a possibility)?

Thanks!

Still working on upping those hours to >100.
In the interest of submitting early, should I:
A.) Submit to one school when the app opens to get verified and wait to send to all other schools when I have more hours?
Or
B) Submit to all schools at once and then send an update through AACOMAS to all schools with my extra hours (I believe this is a possibility)?

Thanks!

Yes. I actually sent this EXACT question to GORO via PM and here was the response:

"Apply to a throw-away school to get verified, and then apply for real once you have more hrs."

I am going to apply to a school with HEAVY in-state bias (probably MSU) just to get my application verified.