Should I accept an SMP offer? 3.82 GPA with 3WL this cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaction mechanisms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just offered a spot at Rosalind Franklin for their masters in biomedical science program. I’m a Texas resident currently on 3WL this cycle. I have a 3.82 gpa, 504 mcat, plenty of shadowing, clinical experience, working with the underserved, and great letters of recommendation. My gpa is fine obviously so I’m not sure if this program will be very beneficial to my application. I’m hoping to get an acceptance this round and was planning on just reapplying this upcoming cycle if need be. Thoughts on the SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I was just offered a spot at Rosalind Franklin for their masters in biomedical science program. I’m a Texas resident currently on 3WL this cycle. I have a 3.82 gpa, 504 mcat, plenty of shadowing, clinical experience, working with the underserved, and great letters of recommendation. My gpa is fine obviously so I’m not sure if this program will be very beneficial to my application. I’m hoping to get an acceptance this round and was planning on just reapplying this upcoming cycle if need be. Thoughts on the SMP?
I'm not an adcom, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but the weak point of your application is clearly not your GPA, so what do you expect to gain through a SMP? Without specifics, everything you described sounds fine other than the MCAT. I know TX numbers are a little below AMCAS, but how does 504 stack up? If you could get it over 510, that would probably help a lot. The only other variable is interviewing skills. How do you think they went? Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
It would be a waste of $. Save yourself that money unless you go to a school with a conditional acceptance (eg: Temple ACMS). But were I you, I would just re-take the MCAT and ride out those waitlists.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Spend $2500 on an MCAT class if you need to. Do NOT spend $60K on a degree you won’t need. Hell I worked full time while studying the MCAT and got a score that got me into medical school (with a lower GPA.) You can do it too

Reactions: 4 users
Spend $2500 on an MCAT class if you need to. Do NOT spend $60K on a degree you won’t need. Hell I worked full time while studying the MCAT and got a score that got me into medical school (with a lower GPA.) You can do it too

That’s great that you were able to get a decent MCAT score while working full time. I happen to also work full time in addition to being a full time mother so mcat studying hasn’t been a cake walk for me but I’ll certainly be giving it another go. Thank you.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
You don’t need a SMP. The problem, if it really is a problem, is your MCAT. A SMP won’t fix that issue. Also do a quick search of the program at Rosalind Franklin . I think I remember a couple of threads discussing this SMP and everything that was posted wasn’t positive. Hopefully you’ll get off one of those WLs. It seems like there were lots of WL people this year, even before the current issues. I really know nothing about Texas but did you reach out to these schools and talk to them about the WLs placement? Did you apply to RF SMP? You have a very good GPA and an okay MCAT. Did you apply DO, especially the DO schools in Texas? Good luck in getting off one of those lists.

Reactions: 1 user
A 3.82 GPA?

Do I have to reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head???

Retake the MCAT if you get shot down from the wait lists, and add DO schools to your target list

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
If its of any usefulness, I went from a 504 (AAMC FL1: 126/127/126/125) to a 515 (no section below a 128) in 6-7 weeks (30 hours a week) by solely using UWORLD and the P/S doc on reddit. It can definitely be done but would recommend spacing it out a bit more since you have other commitments.