Should I add more schools this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jayhawkmed10

Reaction score
I am a reapplicant applying to MD state/regional schools and DO schools. Should I be worried that I haven't received II yet this cycle? I applied broadly DO to about 12 schools including KCUCOM, DMU, ATSOMA, KCOM, ICOM, OSUCOM, VCOM-Carolina, RVUCOM and a few others. I'm wondering if I should add more DO schools to my list or just see what happens this cycle.

cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.29
MCAT: 496 last year, 501 this year

Over the last year I worked as a TA for microbiology class, got involved in research in Neuromechanics lab, and graduated. I currently work full time as a medical scribe for two orthopedic surgeons. I have shadowed physicians in the past for about 80 hours including a nephrologist, pulmonologist, and primary care physicians. I also have 6 years of experience as a lifeguard/WSI instructor and went to a summer camp last summer for kids with spina bifida. I have 5 letters, one from MD and one from academic advisor with the other three being from employers/camp counselors. I have reached out to science professors with no luck in another science letter.

So should I add more schools this late in the cycle or see what happens and apply early next year? If no acceptance this year, I am planning on applying early-decision KU next year (in-state) and then broadly to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are lethal for MD but you should apply to more of the newer DO schools. Add the two AR schools, BCOM, LECOM, UIW, CUSOM, LMU, LYCOM, WVSOM, RVU-UTACOM, VCOM-AL

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds like you're having the same problem I had with letters.
I'd try and get a 2nd science letter just so you can fulfill the requirements of schools that want 2 academic/2 academic + 1 DO letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you're having the same problem I had with letters.
I'd try and get a 2nd science letter just so you can fulfill the requirements of schools that want 2 academic/2 academic + 1 DO letter.
Yeah I've been reaching out. I've had two previous instructors say they would, but have had trouble with them actually submitting. I've tried reminding them via email, but no luck yet. Here's to hoping one of them gets it in. I think it would help out with a handful of schools with that one missing letter.

Yeah I've been reaching out. I've had two previous instructors say they would, but have had trouble with them actually submitting. I've tried reminding them via email, but no luck yet. Here's to hoping one of them gets it in. I think it would help out with a handful of schools with that one missing letter.

I hope they will get one in for you soon! You could always try meeting up with them in person.