Should I Add More Schools to Be Safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WayChanger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All:

My AMCAS was processed today, so I've been pondering whether or not I should add some schools to my list. My stats/schools are handily found at the MDapplicants link in my signature. I know I have a lot (26) already, but I am a California resident, and I can't exactly say that a lot of the places on my list are sure things. I was thinking about maybe adding Drexel, Jefferson, and some of the publics that take out of staters, like Vermont. Any advice? Or does my list seem reasonable in light of my stats? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I don't really have advice, just another question. I submitted my app last Thurs., and I want to add another school..Should I wait until it's processed, or should I add now? If I add now, does it slow down my current app. If I add after processing, do I pay 180$ or 30$?

Thanks,

Kankshi

WayChanger said:
Hey All:

My AMCAS was processed today, so I've been pondering whether or not I should add some schools to my list. My stats/schools are handily found at the MDapplicants link in my signature. I know I have a lot (26) already, but I am a California resident, and I can't exactly say that a lot of the places on my list are sure things. I was thinking about maybe adding Drexel, Jefferson, and some of the publics that take out of staters, like Vermont. Any advice? Or does my list seem reasonable in light of my stats? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

I think you have to wait until it's been processed, and I think it's just $30...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
WayChanger,
It looks to me like you have a good mix of different tier schools. Your grades are good from an excellent undergrad institution. Your MCAT is awesome and will be highly regarded. My personal opinion is that you are in great shape. Obviously things are always a little rougher for CA applicants, but I think you're going to be seen as quite competitive at the state schools and at many other schools too.

Best of luck :thumbup:

I added a school after submitting my app. before it was processed. I think that when you do, though, you end up at the back of the line because you have to resubmit the application. Not sure about this though ...

waychanger,
i also think it might not help to apply to more schools...with your 38 mcat score, if you apply to places with a 29 average they are going to think/know you are applying there as a safety school and you're not very interested in going. there's a good chance you could get rejected on that basis. a friend of mind also had a 38 mcat and had this exact same experience...when he called places to ask why they hadn't even interviewed him, they were surprised to hear he hadn't gotten in anywhere else. it sucks, you get like cross-eliminated. good luck i'm sure you'll get into a top school :luck: :luck:

Honey, if you really got a 15 in PS, as a fellow English major I applaud you. You will have no trouble getting in.

I think you have a good range of schools. You'll be fine.

OP - You have plenty, don't worry so much. I agree with the other post that said the lower tier schools will think you are just applying as a safety and will reject you faster than the better schools.

UVermont takes out of staters, but most of the out of state people are students that live NEAR vermont (i.e. New England and northeast area). You have to realize that the majority of schools that take out of staters do so because the majority of the accepted out of staters live NEAR the state. Thats the whole reason that state schools take their residents, because each state and area need to fill it up around there with doctors. What good would a cali graduate do in new england when the school knows you are likely not going to stay there? Of course there are exceptions, but you have a better shot at the west coast schools.

You're rock solid and you've already paid enough!

chaeymaey said:
Honey, if you really got a 15 in PS, as a fellow English major I applaud you. You will have no trouble getting in.

LOL...I really did. =X Don't ask me how...I thought I might have gotten one in VR, if anything. Surprises surprises.

Hey everyone - thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Cheers

Your science gpa is a little low, but your EC and MCAT should make up for it. Good luck fellowbear.