Should I Apply? (Please Help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon172

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here! I would really appreciate if I could get some advice on whether there is any point in applying to med school at this time of the year. Here's the gist of my situation:

• Major: Biochemistry, entering 4th year
  • GPA: 3.64 (overall), 3.63 (science)
  • MCAT: waiting for scores from 9/7 test date
  • Research: a little over a year in a neuroscience/genetics lab
  • Volunteerism: over 100 hours in the waiting area for surgical patients

I really feel like I should just work on improving my competitiveness since I haven't even started on the application, haven't asked anybody for rec letters and have only a vague idea of which schools I should/want to apply to, but my parents want me to apply just to "see what happens" as a learning experience. Money isn't an issue, so it basically boils down to whether I'll even gain anything from putting in this effort to complete the application within a few weeks. Some of my concerns are (I realize some of these have been asked, but for the sake of clarification):

• How far in advance should I ask for recommendation letters? And at which point in the application process should these be submitted?
  • How long does it take for the secondary applications to be sent?
  • How severe is the disadvantage to applying this late? (or submitting the application at the end of September?)
  • Is there a disadvantage to applying a second time?

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools, this is really, really late. For DO programs, it's fine...they have a longer cycle.

[*]How severe is the disadvantage to applying this late? (or submitting the application at the end of September?)

While one likes to see determination, it's no substitute for competence. So, reapps can be problematic, especially if you haven't shown significant improvement.
[*]Is there a disadvantage to applying a second time?

Thanks for the response. Do you have any feedback about my chances of getting accepted in general (not necessarily this cycle)?

You haven't given much to work with for evaluating competitiveness. Without an MCAT score and better description of your ECs it's difficult to give you any feedback of substance.

I can't speak to DO admissions, but it's late enough that since you haven't even submitted your primary I'd save the money and apply next year. Being early with your application can make a big difference when you consider that many MD schools have rolling admissions policies.