Should I apply to more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Low Flow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of moved this from somewhere else,

But I submitted my primary application today, and I am still deciding which additional schools I'm going to send my application to.

I'm a Washington resident, 3.77 cumulative and 3.81 science GPA, 30 MCAT, and some decent ECs I think. I'm definitely applying in state to the University of Washington as my number one choice, and all the rest are options for me at this point. I'd be willing to go pretty much anywhere, given the chance at acceptance.

My main question is, how should I view my chances at some schools in California and other states that MSAR shows their 10th-90th percentile MCAT as ~28-38, with the mean being 33 or above. I'm definitely on the lower end of that, but my GPA makes up for it slightly I think. Should I bother applying to ones that I'm on the bottom of that range? I'm just not sure if OOS schools only look at you if you're extraordinary, which I'm definitely not.

Schools I'm applying to for sure:
UW
U of Arizona
U of Miami
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oregon Health Sciences University
Albany Medical
University of Colorado

Some schools I'm considering:
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC Los Angeles
and any other suggestions anyone thinks I would have a chance at.

Feedback is much appreciated,

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

@Hrdrock
Applying to UC schools as an OOS applicant is already an uphill battle because they have so many good IS applicants.
As an OOS applicant with lower-than-median MCAT for those schools, you are going to have a rough time.

Do you have a strong location preference?
Have you looked at:
Jefferson
Rush
George Washington
Tulane
NY Medical College
Temple

Good luck! I'm a fellow WA resident as well :)

Reactions: 1 user
UC's aren't a good choice given your OOS residency and non-mind blowing stats. USC would be the "best" choice of cali schools, but I wouldn't even recommend that for you, I think you can choose better school options to maximize your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@turayza
Hey, best of luck to you as well!

As for the California schools, that's what I was worried about. Being under qualified, and OOS. Maybe I'll save my time and money now.

As for location, I don't think I'd mind moving (never lived outside of WA). So long as I was accepted somewhere, I would be happy.

also, U of Arizona and U of Colorado aren't good for an OOS applicant