Should I apply to podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newenglandlobster508

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I basically want to use my degree (as what ever classification of doctor) and my undergraduate engineering degree to develop medical devices after completing medical school and residency.

I spent time at SGU for one semester, I did well but I left because I didnt like the idea that only 50% will make it through the program, and then only 75% will get a residency after that (among various other issues with foreign institutions).

I like the fact that podiatry has a concept of medicinal therapy and surgery. If I have a chance to obtain any kind of surgical background I think it may augment my ability to make devices.

I did design an artificial finger with sensing capabilities and motion fingers, and I suppose I could apply the same concepts to the foot.

26 MCAT, 3.33 cgpa, 3.1 sGPA, will shadow podiatrist, so far Ive shadowed dozens of MDS and a DO. I have about 7 pending medical device patents, and 1 published paper on surgical devices.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I basically want to use my degree (as what ever classification of doctor) and my undergraduate engineering degree to develop medical devices after completing medical school and residency.

I spent time at SGU for one semester, I did well but I left because I didnt like the idea that only 50% will make it through the program, and then only 75% will get a residency after that (among various other issues with foreign institutions).

I like the fact that podiatry has a concept of medicinal therapy and surgery. If I have a chance to obtain any kind of surgical background I think it may augment my ability to make devices.

I did design an artificial finger with sensing capabilities and motion fingers, and I suppose I could apply the same concepts to the foot.

26 MCAT, 3.33 cgpa, 3.1 sGPA, will shadow podiatrist, so far Ive shadowed dozens of MDS and a DO. I have about 7 pending medical device patents, and 1 published paper on surgical devices.
It sounds like you are more interested in bio-medical engineering. Is it necessary for you to go the route that you currently are wanting to pursue? Not trying to deter you, it just seems like a lot of effort, time, and money to attend a professional school if your main aim is to develop medical devices rather than practice. Rather, wouldn't it be more in your interest to maybe try and join an engineering firm or biotech company that does these types of things that you are looking to pursue?

Reactions: 2 users
I usually don't recommend that people go into the field of Podiatry unless it is really what they want to do. It would be a lot of time and money for reaching a different end goal. If you want to continue engineering and making improvements to medical products then I suggest going down a different path. If you want to become a podiatrist then apply and make it your career. If you wanted to have some sort of surgery background you might consider being a surgical tech. You could even become a surgical rep and work directly for the surgical companies.

While you shadow a podiatrist you will be able to make the decision of whether or not you can be happy in the profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you are more interested in bio-medical engineering. Is it necessary for you to go the route that you currently are wanting to pursue? Not trying to deter you, it just seems like a lot of effort, time, and money to attend a professional school if your main aim is to develop medical devices rather than practice. Rather, wouldn't it be more in your interest to maybe try and join an engineering firm or biotech company that does these types of things that you are looking to pursue?

It is, at the one semester of SGU I spent in medical anatomy, the knowledge and mechanics of the body's muscles, organs, and bones was remarkable to helping me develop my artificial finger. Engineering programs just do not provide me enough knowledge about the human body. Ive even started about 15 units of a masters degree in bioengineering, (undergrad was bioengineering, with a touch of mechanical engineering).

I do want to be a doctor as well, from MD and DO shadowing s, I loved being in the hospital. Personally my father is an MD surgeon who operates in the mornings and works on developing surgical devices with a company in the evening. His life style is really pick and choose, and according to most medical device companies I have interned at, they WANT people with a medical and engineering background to help lead new projects,

I definitely do want to become a doctor of some sort, podiatry appeals to me for the surgical portion, of course based on my GPA and MCAT, but im curious if podiatrists do "in depth surgeries" ( amputations, muscle/ tendon repair ) etc.

I usually don't recommend that people go into the field of Podiatry unless it is really what they want to do. It would be a lot of time and money for reaching a different end goal. If you want to continue engineering and making improvements to medical products then I suggest going down a different path. If you want to become a podiatrist then apply and make it your career. If you wanted to have some sort of surgery background you might consider being a surgical tech. You could even become a surgical rep and work directly for the surgical companies.

While you shadow a podiatrist you will be able to make the decision of whether or not you can be happy in the profession.

Thanks for the response, I tried to give somewhat of a similar reply in the previous post. Unfortunately I want to be leading new technologies, and surgical tech just doesnt get your foot through the door. The term doctor gives someone not only knowledge but a lot more credibility (its silly really) when trying to make changes or develop something

according to most medical device companies I have interned at, they WANT people with a medical and engineering background to help lead new projects,

I definitely do want to become a doctor of some sort, podiatry appeals to me for the surgical portion, of course based on my GPA and MCAT, but im curious if podiatrists do "in depth surgeries" ( amputations, muscle/ tendon repair ) etc.

I can certainly see how these types of companies would desire individuals with a more advanced education. As far as the types of "in depth surgeries" that a podiatrist would potentially perform, I encourage you to check out http://www.footsurgeryatlas.com/ You get to see a massive variety of some really awesome, step by step, in your face procedures, that may help you to decide if the surgical aspects of the field are what you are looking for in your education. I believe it's a team of orthopedic surgeons specializing in the foot and ankle that have put this particular site together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I can certainly see how these types of companies would desire individuals with a more advanced education. As far as the types of "in depth surgeries" that a podiatrist would potentially perform, I encourage you to check out http://www.footsurgeryatlas.com/ You get to see a massive variety of some really awesome, step by step, in your face procedures, that may help you to decide if the surgical aspects of the field are what you are looking for in your education. I believe it's a team of orthopedic surgeons specializing in the foot and ankle that have put this particular site together.
That's some pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing that @Justintxc

There isn't much of a market for artificial feet/ankles of that intricacy. The field of prosthetics (external prosthetic devices) has gone the way of carbon leaf spring type feet with a nonfunctional cosmetic cover rather than trying to recreate the anatomy or more complex functions of a human foot.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

There isn't much of a market for artificial feet/ankles of that intricacy. The field of prosthetics (external prosthetic devices) has gone the way of carbon leaf spring type feet with a nonfunctional cosmetic cover rather than trying to recreate the anatomy or more complex functions of a human foot.

Always thought the carbon leaf spring type feet looked cool as hell.

Specially before the whole Pistorius fiasco.

Always thought the carbon leaf spring type feet looked cool as hell.

Specially before the whole Pistorius fiasco.
And even aside from the admittedly awesome athletic carbon fiber feet, even regular prosthetic leg wearers (non-athletes, old people, children) get a toned down version of the carbon fiber leaf spring plus a cosmetic cover. Image attached. There hasn't been much of a need to go too far in the bioengineering direction for lower extremity amputees. They're fully functional without those extra sensory, micromotion, et cetera features.
1464133738449.jpg

I think it's great that you designed this device. I agree that gaining in-depth understanding of the way the human body works and surgical principles would help you. If you decide to apply for podiatry and gain acceptance, you should definitely prepare for many years of learning how to care for patients medically and surgically and it is a long road. However, the field could use more people with the innovative mindset that you have. Become a skilled clinician, surgeon, and researcher and doors will open for you. It will be important to choose a residency that fosters your innovative attitude as well. The field of podiatry is not as limited as many people make it out to be. Work hard and good opportunities will come your way.

They're fully functional without those extra sensory, micromotion, et cetera features.

Leave it to mother nature to go above and beyond with all of those fancy blue-ray special features lol :poke: