Should I apply to Stanford? Could use some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jahan22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dream school has always been Stanford Med School. I've worked really hard at UW-Madison: 3.77 GPA, mostly rigorous honors courses, Biochem honors program, good leaderships roles, tons of research and volunteering, Summer research fellowship programs, worked part-time throughout college, even ran my own business (A DJ service), and I know I'll have some really solid LORs. But, I just got a 32P (not a great test taker) on the MCAT. I can't retake the MCAT until next april due to other commitments.Should I apply and hope for the best? Should I retake next year?

Members don't see this ad.

32P isn't bad, I'd still apply. Also I advise against having your heart set on any one school. The odds in the process leave you highly likely to be dissappointed.

According to USNews, the average score at stanford was a 10.9 here . That means an average of about 32.7. Doesn't a 32 put you in good standing?

Members don't see this ad :)
question on that note...how accurate is usnews? according to the latest version i have, avg at stanford is around 11.4

a 32 ought to still be competitive, especially if the rest of your package is great...and it sounds it.

like another poster said, have a wide variety of choices

Avalanche21 said:
According to USNews, the average score at stanford was a 10.9 here . That means an average of about 32.7. Doesn't a 32 put you in good standing?

Thanks for the link. Last I had heard it was around a 35. I feel a little better.

wetlightning said:
question on that note...how accurate is usnews? according to the latest version i have, avg at stanford is around 11.4

a 32 ought to still be competitive, especially if the rest of your package is great...and it sounds it.

like another poster said, have a wide variety of choices

I'm not really sure. What source are you using?

Jahan, I'm not sure which source is correct, but according to princeton review, the average is about 33.57 (see link for better breakdown). I'm no expert, but I think you still have a shot. Besides, an average is just that...there are people above and below that get in.

Avalanche21 said:
I'm not really sure. What source are you using?

latest usnews guide of grad school rankings, 2006 edition. gold book :)

btw, jahan, i love your name...it's so beautiful :love:

wetlightning said:
latest usnews guide of grad school rankings, 2006 edition. gold book :)

Perhaps you have stats for Fall 2005, I noticed the website provided stats for Fall 2004

yes, you're probably right...so that means stats have gone up...makes sense, and is depressing, all at once

jahan22 said:
My dream school has always been Stanford Med School. I've worked really hard at UW-Madison: 3.77 GPA, mostly rigorous honors courses, Biochem honors program, good leaderships roles, tons of research and volunteering, Summer research fellowship programs, worked part-time throughout college, even ran my own business (A DJ service), and I know I'll have some really solid LORs. But, I just got a 32P (not a great test taker) on the MCAT. I can't retake the MCAT until next april due to other commitments.Should I apply and hope for the best? Should I retake next year?

One thing you'll learn very quickly in this process is not get your heart set on one school. It is impossible to predict where you will get an interview even if you had a 4.0 and 40 MCAT. Schools look for very nit-picky small things to differentiate between candidates for interviews so I suggest choosing a group of schools that you like rather than focusing on one school. Your numbers are pretty competitive but unless you have a 35+ on the MCAT your score will not be looked at as a strength at a school like Stanford. You have a shot but I'm just giving you a heads up before you drive yourself crazy about getting into a specific school.