Should I ask for letters of rec now, even though I won't be applying until next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would mention it now. Memories fade. He/she may decide to write it now and save it until next year, or wait for you to approach them again. It's super easy to change the date on a letter to reflect when it is submitted. IMO, I would mention it sooner rather than later.

I've read that some schools require letters of rec to be from the same application year, e.g. June 2015 applicants should have letters dated from 2015. If I do ask now, should I ask my letter writers to forward timestamp their letters (say May 2015)?

It's not a bad idea. I started asking for them in October the year before I applied. Your professors are busy people and you're not the only one asking, so you should get started early and have the idea floating around so they are at least aware. Just don't pester them constantly about it.

Its definitely helpful to get letters while the professors/doctors you've worked with still remember you well and can write a stronger letter. The only concern is if you apply with only letters from several years ago (and interviewers will ask what you've been up to since then). One year won't make a difference for the application.