Should I bother applying to top-tier schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT twice with the following scores
1st time: 11/6/14, total: 31
2nd time: 11/9/12, total: 32

I know my verbal score is very low for top-tier schools. But, I am considering applying to the following schools:

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. Mt. Sinai
5. Yale
6. John Hopkins
7. Univ of Pittsburgh

I am thinking of applying to these schools because I am applying mainly to schools on the East Coast, hence why there are no Mid/West top-tier schools on the list. I already have 18 schools which are low-middle tier. Also, I am an undocumented student and I cannot apply to schools that require U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. The top-tier schools do not consider residency status in their admissions process and are quite generous in terms of providing university funding since I won't be eligible for federal aid. Lastly, on MSAR, these schools have accepted students with a 9 in VR but they were in the 10th percentile of VR scores.

The rest of my stats are below. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank You.

First Time Applicant.
21 year old taking a gap year.
Undergrad Major: Biomedical Engineering (Graduated from U.S. Accredited University)
Cumulative GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.82
State of Residence: New York
MCAT:
1st time: 11/6/14, Total: 31
2nd time: 11/9/12, Total: 32

Relevant Experiences:
Clinical: 300+ hours in Emergency Department
Research: 2 years+
Extras: Mentor, Tutor, Teaching Assistant, Club Leader,
Gap Year Plans: Working on a publication for next year. Volunteering in Clinic. Perhaps working full-time in a research lab.
Letters: Total: 5; 2 from science, 2 from research mentors, 1 from clinical program director. Letters will be sent with Pre-Med Committee Letter.
AMCAS Submitted: July 24th. Waiting to be Verified.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a sub forum for this btw

Reactions: 1 user

I know my verbal score is very low for top-tier schools. But, I am considering applying to the following schools:

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. Mt. Sinai
5. Yale
6. John Hopkins
7. Univ of Pittsburgh

I am thinking of applying to these schools because I am applying mainly to schools on the East Coast, hence why there are no Mid/West top-tier schools on the list. I already have 18 schools which are low-middle tier. Also, I am an undocumented student and I cannot apply to schools that require U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. The top-tier schools do not consider residency status in their admissions process and are quite generous in terms of providing university funding since I won't be eligible for federal aid. Lastly, on MSAR, these schools have accepted students with a 9 in VR but they were in the 10th percentile of VR scores.

The rest of my stats are below. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank You.

First Time Applicant.
Undergrad Major: Biomedical Engineering (Graduated from U.S. Accredited University)
MCAT:

Relevant Experiences:
Gap Year Plans: Working on a publication for next year. Volunteering in Clinic. Perhaps working full-time in a research lab.
Letters: Total: 5; 2 from science, 2 from research mentors, 1 from clinical program director. Letters will be sent with Pre-Med Committee Letter.

It's your money. Just be sure to apply to a bunch of non top also lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry johnny, not with those MCAT scores. You're 4-5 points off the median scores for those schools.

1. Cornell
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. Mt. Sinai
5. Yale
6. John Hopkins
7. Univ of Pittsburgh

First Time Applicant.
MCAT:

Relevant Experiences:

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. Familiarize yourself with the concept of YOLO.

Agreed with above. Can confidently say you won't get into any of those schools.

It doesn't hurt to try, you only have 18 schools anyways, 7 more wouldn't make the secondary essay process that much harder

If you feel like making 7 charitable donations, go for it. Otherwise save your money and time.

No. Your MCAT score should be 35-36+.

It doesn't hurt to try, you only have 18 schools anyways, 7 more wouldn't make the secondary essay process that much harder
Seriously?? 7 more secondaries is a lot... And could cost $500+

Secondaries are highly scalable OP. Answer one set of ridiculously trite questions and you've answered them all. YOLO

Yeah.. Not really sure what to do at this point. Answering secondaries is not difficult but I don't have money like that. I might just apply to Mt. Sinai, Columbia, and NYU. Since I have done research at both columbia and mt. sinai and I volunteered at NYU's emergency department. Not really sure if doing these things at the respective institutions even matters in the admissions process.

Seriously?? 7 more secondaries is a lot... And could cost $500+

lol i guess i got used to the amount of work with applying to a lot more schools

My MCAT is around yours (though none of the sub-scores are lower than a 10), and my GPA is actually lower. My pre-med advisor gave me a list with a bunch of top tier schools I should I apply to anyway, including NYU, Sinai, UVA, and Case Western... I probably should have asked her why she thought I had a chance at those schools, instead of just nodding my head like an idiot. I had been assuming I'd be lucky to go anywhere, but I guess this process can be pretty unpredictable, especially with stats like ours.

It may be more work and more $$$, but you never know. It could be worth it.

MOney talks and bull**** walks a thousand miles OP. Would you rather be saying "damn i wish I had my 500 bux and the day I spent on the apps back" or be wondering "whatif I had blown 5 benjamins and a day of my time on some reach schools ~~*when you wish upon a star*~~" Either way, stay trill.

-Greasy Pete

Reactions: 1 users
There is nothing in your application that leads me to encourage you to apply to any of these. Pick "reaches" where you might actually get an interview.

And a reasonable reach would be where you fall 10% < x < 50%?

depends. Your MCAT is very low for them but if you have extracurriculars that make you stand out, you have a chance. The extracurriculars that you posted don't seem to fit that bill though. Maybe if you do some awesome stuff and get a publication in your gap year.

Your verbal is low, your overall MCAT is low, your GPA is average for top schools, you're not URM, your extracurriculars are very average, you took the MCAT twice, and you have no ties to the top schools. In my opinion, no, but they would love to take your $100 donations.

Reactions: 1 users