Should I choose a Full Time position at a clinic or pursue volunteer/internships/research instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mxm2871

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm a junior undergrad right now and have a rare opportunity because of personal connections to work in a famous well respected psychiatric clinic. I will be a doctor's assistant working very closely with the doctors. The only problem is that it's a FULL TIME job 40 hours a week minimum. This leaves me no time to pursue any volunteering, internships, and other extra curricular activities. I would barely have enough time to pursue a full-time class schedule let alone any ECs.

So my question is, which would look better on my application? Tons of ECs or a full time job at a clinic? Should i reject the job offer and continue my ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

I cant really help you answer that question, but a lot of postbacs are doing twice what you are doing. I have met many non trad students working full time, taking full course load and volunteering over the weekends on top of that have kids and such. its not impossible i think it would look better if u can work cuz med schools love hands on but don't sacrifice your gpa. I have been working full times since freshmen yr; if i could go back i would work less cuz it did affect my gpa

It depends on what other EC's you have i think. If you don't have a lot, I would use the time to do as much diverse volunteering as you possibly can. 40 hours a week is insane during UG IMO. I would be more worried about your grades for the rest of UG