Should I concentrate my efforts on MD/DO or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apothec.ary

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe I'm considered a non-traditional student (26 years old, Biology/Spanish degree from 2010, worked and traveled for 5 or so years) and I'm wondering if it's worth the time and money to directly apply to schools with a 3.2 cGPA if my MCAT is competitive or if it's absolutely necessary to enter some type of Special Masters Program. I'm taking the new exam in April 2015. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should be doing right now (December 2014) to increase my chances of acceptance? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe I'm considered a non-traditional student (26 years old, Biology/Spanish degree from 2010, worked and traveled for 5 or so years) and I'm wondering if it's worth the time and money to directly apply to schools with a 3.2 cGPA if my MCAT is competitive or if it's absolutely necessary to enter some type of Special Masters Program. I'm taking the new exam in April 2015. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should be doing right now (December 2014) to increase my chances of acceptance? Thanks!

Depends on your test taking aptitude. You need to do pretty well on the MCAT to get accepted with a 3.2. Of course it all depends on your other qualifications, racial status, etc. You would need at least a 34, preferably higher on the MCAT. Unless you're black or hispanic, then maybe lower.

Reactions: 1 user
You should consider Osteopathic Medical schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA looks good for the Puerto Rican MD schools with your Spanish degree.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a firm believer in doing things right the first time. If you're interested in DO, then you might get in given a good enough MCAT, but taking more classes to raise your GPA is never a bad idea.

It's been long enough since undergrad that doing well now will make schools more confident about handling the curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user