Should I continue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xanarticus

Xanarticus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just joined this forum recently and looking for input on my situation.

I am a Junior undergraduate student about to start my third year this fall at Azusa Pacific University in southern California. It is a small liberal arts school with an emphasis on Christian education. I am majoring in Applied Health which requires things like a year of chemistry, physics, different types of biology and depending on your specialty (in my case) anatomy, phys, stats, ab psych, generally pre-PT courses for grad school.

I have been having doubts about my chances of getting into PT school. I like the subject but can't seem to get much higher than the C range in my prerequisite courses. I have a history of depression and my aid is going to end after the spring of my senior year, whether I have a degree or not. Should I change my major while still halfway through or should I stick it out to see how things pan out? I feel like I could do better if I tried harder now that I have some experience being in college and know how to approach the work. However if things don't work out I will only have one year of aid and no closer to a completed degree with a worthy enough gpa to back it.

I didn't have a very good freshman year and dropped a course. Sophomore year was the same and I had to drop chemistry due to anxiety that I suffer from. The way the courses are offered I wasn't able to take any during the spring of sophomore year.
Frosh Fall
Gen Bio 1 C
Frosh Spring
Hum. Anatomy C+
Sophomore Fall
Hum. Physiology C
Gen Chem W
Sophomore Spring
None

I have some volunteer experience in a clinical setting but no real extra circular's for these two years. I also commute and dont have a group to study with as its been pretty much on my own these past two years. I know this is the field for me and I like the subject. I have completed other course work and gotten A's and B's on everything.

I wanted to make it clear that I am just looking for some input to help me make my own decision. I am not looking for the answer to all my problems, I understand that this is something I must determine for myself and it ultimately rests with me. That being said I look forward to reading what anyone out there has to contribute.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Xanarticus,

Anxiety and depression are very real obstacles for many...unfortunately you will find that many who haven't had personal experience with it (either themselves or someone they know) just won't get it.

What I am going to suggest is not the typical path, and in fact should not be for those in typical situations...but if your situation is as bad as it seems to be, then you are obviously not a typical candidate:

It sounds like you are doing well overall in college, but the challenging prerequisites are giving you a hard time. From personal exposure to individuals very close to me with serious anxiety, I know that you can thrive in certain contexts, and be completely helpless in others (correct me if this is not the case for you). The first thing I would suggest is seek psychiatric help if you haven't already...you don't have to live with anxiety (atleast not in its current form), but "it aint goin away on its own." Next, I would suggest that you go ahead and graduate as soon as you can with some degree that will land you a job somewhere...anywhere. Get some work experience in (for the opportunity to mature, experience life, and make some money...). In a few years when you have a better handle on your life, then go back and finish what pre-reqs you have remaining and take the GREs, then apply to graduate school.

I suggest this long route for two reasons: 1) at this rate you are not competitive for most schools (note: a high GRE score may up your chances), 2) Grad school has its fair share of "high-anxiety, high-pressure situations," and for your personal health and well-being, it is my personal opinion that it is better to wait until you are ready to take that on.

It really is no big deal to wait a few years before starting school...people do it for various reasons...the reasons I mention above are just as good.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice MotionDoc. Just work on getting your life together and don't put pressure on yourself.

Thank you everyone that replied to my post. First, thank you motion doc for your advice. I think I may have not made my home situation clear. I am living with my parents and the comment of being "on my own" was a remark about not having people to study with. Second I also want to thank dny22 and ksiem for your positive input, its appreciated.
I see a social worker right now and we are evaluating whether I should go on medication or not. However this being the case my aid is still dependent on the time that I am in college so I cannot waste the time that has been given. So I need to make a decision before next fall.
I was thinking about majoring in health psychology as this seems to be a strong point with me. However finding a job with this degree will be challenging. I understand that my prereqs don't make me a strong candidate for PT school at the moment but I already plan to do post bac work at another uni after getting a BS from Azusa P.
Thanks again you guys.
Peace and Love.