WAMC: Should I take more DIY Post Bacc courses? a MCAT retake is in order.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted855460

I would appreciate advice on how to become a stronger applicant for the 2025 cycle. Just withdrew my app from the 2024 cycle

Personal details:
  • State of residence: MA for 2025 cycle, but grew up in CA and worked between MA and CA for some years post-grad
  • Parent as physician: Yes, one of them
  • ORM (Asian)
Undergraduate/DIY PostBacc:
  • Graduated: 2020, Biology Major
  • sGPA as of May 2020: 3.31 (downward trend or no change in sGPA for 6 straight semesters, mostly B's with the one C+ from Genetics and a B- from Chem. I started improving my grades during senior year, so Fall 2019 was a 3.6 and Spring 2020 was a 3.7 or 3.8 - I do not remember 100%).
  • cGPA as of May 2020: 3.51
  • DIY Post Bacc (Extension school, 2020-2022)
    • sGPA: 3.80 -- AAMC said Pharmacology didn't count towards BCPM so I got a small boost lol.
GPA Breakdown (AAMC just verified this):
BPCM:
  • HS: N/A
  • Freshman year: 2.85
  • Sophomore: 3.23
  • Junior: 3.22
  • Senior: 3.68
  • Postbacc undergrad: 3.80
  • Cumulative undergrad: 3.47
AO
  • HS: 2.70
  • Freshman: 3.71
  • Soph: 4.00
  • Junior: 3.20
  • Senior: 4.00
  • Postbacc undergrad: 3.70
  • Cumulative undergrad: 3.71
Total: 3.57 cGPA

MCAT: Took 6/29/2023: 508 (127/126/126/129) --> Will retake in January 2024 or March 2024.

Extracurriculars/LoRs:
  • Leadership: 35 hours (led research field team meetings)
  • Research: 1600 hours (clinical research - honestly lots of unpaid work after hours, so closer to 1800, but 1600 is what I mistakenly reported on my AMCAS)
    • Marked as most meaningful experience & got co-signed LoR from PI & my supervisor, but will not ask them again for the 2025 cycle. I think it's an OK LoR, I just don't want to risk asking them again because my supervisor implied that I should not pursue medical school. Also, I left my job earlier than planned because I was rushing to take the MCAT before it was too late for the 2024 cycle. So they were not happy and threatened some stuff. Basically, kind of complicated.
  • Honors: nothing special. Certificate of Recognition from Los Angeles Mayor for my work with a nonprofit when I lived in CA
  • Nonclinical Community Service:
    • Music volunteering: 65 hrs. The director said she wrote a glowing LoR for me and I am very certain she will write a letter again for the 2025 cycle
  • Clinical community service:
    • 40 hrs - free medical clinic
    • 70 hrs - hospital volunteering, helping patients navigate etc
  • Clinical exp, paid: scribed, medical assistant, etc across various clinics -- total: 650 + 640 = 1290
    • Strong LoR from one of the MDs I scribed for
  • Paid nonclinical: 3000 hours from working at parent's clinic since graduating high school, 273 hours from working at an oph clinic
  • Teaching: 50 hrs at sunday school
  • Phyisician Shadowing: 100 hrs (I kinda assumed that scribing = shadowing. I have only formally shadowed x < 5 hrs)
Advice/questions please for:
  1. I only have 28 postbacc undergrad credits - should I take 2 more classes (8 units)?
  2. How else can I improve my app (aside from MCAT retake)?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your music volunteering doesn’t sound like it was with the underprivileged. You need at least 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering with the underprivileged.

Reactions: 1 users
Your music volunteering doesn’t sound like it was with the underprivileged. You need at least 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering with the underprivileged.
Sorry I did not add this detail. I volunteered with a music nonprofit where I taught cello to kids who normally would not have been able to afford music instruments or lessons.
I also volunteered with a different organization during college (same goal), but due to AMCAS activity limits, I wasn’t able to talk about it. I spent 100 hours volunteering with that organization over one academic year. I wasn’t sure if it was OK to combine hours because I definitely have multiple similar experiences. This also goes for my clinical paid and non clinical paid experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely include those details about your nonclinical volunteering with the disadvantaged.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t take CA residency. Very hard to get admitted to medical school there.

How much will taking 8 additional credits improve your GPA if you get straight As? Can you get straight As in that scenario?

Don’t take CA residency. Very hard to get admitted to medical school there.

How much will taking 8 additional credits improve your GPA if you get straight As? Can you get straight As in that scenario?
I think I qualify for Massachusetts in state tuition starting next year so I won’t be applying as a CA resident.

If I take 8 additional credits, my sGPA cumulative will be a 3.51. My cGPA would then be a 3.61. I think I can get straight As because I stopped working earlier this year to focus on volunteering, postbacc courses, and a MCAT retake.

The additional credits would help. And focus on volunteering, especially to the underserved.

Reactions: 1 user
The additional credits would help. And focus on volunteering, especially to the underserved.
Thank you very much for the advice. Is there a specific # of credits or a GPA I should aim to reach?
Right now if I took 8 credits (2 classes) and got A's in both of them, my sGPA would be a 3.51 as opposed to a 3.47 right now.
But if I take 32 credits (8 classes) over 2 semesters and get A's, my sGPA would be a 3.61. I would be a full time student then for both semesters, and I realize this option is kind of risky, but if needed I will do it.

I was always under the impression that my MCAT score would matter more than my GPA, especially as someone who's trying to do GPA repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.