Should I do a masters with a 3.8 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutdhtx123

Reaction score
I just graduated with the above as my GPA, and a 505 retake as my MCAT (503 first try). I know that I will have to retake my MCAT but the reason I am asking if I should do a post bac is that I have done the pass/fail for ochem 2, ochem 2 lab, physics 1, physics 2, and physics 2 lab. I also have received a C+ in chem 1 and C in chem 2. I am a Texas resident. I am asking this as I am aiming for MD. Also is it possible to study well for the MCAT and do a 1 year masters)?

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated with the above as my GPA, and a 505 retake as my MCAT (503 first try). I know that I will have to retake my MCAT but the reason I am asking if I should do a post bac is that I have done the pass/fail for ochem 2, ochem 2 lab, physics 1, physics 2, and physics 2 lab. I also have received a C+ in chem 1 and C in chem 2. I am a Texas resident. I am asking this as I am aiming for MD. Also is it possible to study well for the MCAT and do a 1 year masters)?
Nope. Retake the MCAT if you're aiming for MD. You're fine for DO.

Also is it possible to study well for the MCAT and do a 1 year masters?

In our SMP, we STRONGLY advise students to not take the MCAT during the program, because those that do always end up screwing up both.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What what, really? You did P/F for multiple pre-reqs? Why would you do that? An isolated P/F is fine, but especially given that you got a C+ in chem 1 and 2, the fact that you did P/F for both O chem 2 and all of your physics seems like a MAJOR red flag to me. I honestly think it would have been better if you had withdrawn and tried again.

@Goro does that impact your opinion on his shot for DO? To me I feel like the OP needs to do something to prove they can actually excel in rigorous courses, which they sort of have been avoiding. So I probably would advocate for an SMP or DIY post-bacc.

If you're serious about MD, OP, you are going to need both SMP/post-bacc and MCAT retake. And I honestly think that should be a two year proposition for you, especially since you have struggled previously.

Reactions: 1 users
What what, really? You did P/F for multiple pre-reqs? Why would you do that? An isolated P/F is fine, but especially given that you got a C+ in chem 1 and 2, the fact that you did P/F for both O chem 2 and all of your physics seems like a MAJOR red flag to me. I honestly think it would have been better if you had withdrawn and tried again.

@Goro does that impact your opinion on his shot for DO? To me I feel like the OP needs to do something to prove they can actually excel in rigorous courses, which they sort of have been avoiding. So I probably would advocate for an SMP or DIY post-bacc.

If you're serious about MD, OP, you are going to need both SMP/post-bacc and MCAT retake. And I honestly think that should be a two year proposition for you, especially since you have struggled previously.
I agree with this I think op needs to retake these courses at a university to show they can handle the rigors of medical school

I agree with this I think op needs to retake these courses at a university to show they can handle the rigors of medical school
I’m not even sure retaking would be the best option—getting an A when it’s the second time taking the course is not the same thing as getting an A the first time. I would probably recommend new upper level courses.

I’m not even sure retaking would be the best option—getting an A when it’s the second time taking the course is not the same thing as getting an A the first time. I would probably recommend new upper level courses.
That's going to be tough unless they took Calculus based physics I think all of the upper level physics courses would require that one. Same for chemistry as they would have to take Pchem which requires Calc 1-3 as well as differential equations.

That's going to be tough unless they took Calculus based physics I think all of the upper level physics courses would require that one. Same for chemistry as they would have to take Pchem which requires Calc 1-3 as well as differential equations.

When we recommend "upper level coursework" to reinventing premeds, we are typically talking about 300- or 400-level science electives that can include immunology, A&P, virology, microbiology, and so on - i.e., coursework that mirrors the material you learn in the first two years of medical school. The prereqs for these upper division science electives are often general chemistry and biology, maybe a semester of organic chemistry. OP should easily qualify.

Reactions: 4 users
So I have taken two astronomy courses (listed as physics in dept), endocrinology, neuroscience, biology of food, genetics, and biochemistry and received an A in all of them. I took these courses after chem, ochem, and physics.

So I have taken two astronomy courses (listed as physics in dept), endocrinology, neuroscience, biology of food, genetics, and biochemistry and received an A in all of them. I took these courses after chem, ochem, and physics.

Yours is somewhat of a unique situation and I think whether your current coursework is acceptable/competitive for admissions will vary from program to program.

I recommend directly emailing the admissions offices at your target medical schools to discuss your coursework. You'll want to tell them about the core prerequisites you took P/F and also tell them about your As in biochem/neuroscience/genetics/endocrinology.

Some programs may not really care about the prerequisites you took P/F since you've earned good grades in your science electives. Other schools may require that all prerequisites are taken for a letter grade - and if that's the case, it will be up to you to decide whether it's worth it to retake depending on how badly you want to apply to those schools.

Yours is somewhat of a unique situation and I think whether your current coursework is acceptable/competitive for admissions will vary from program to program.

I recommend directly emailing the admissions offices at your target medical schools to discuss your coursework. You'll want to tell them about the core prerequisites you took P/F and also tell them about your As in biochem/neuroscience/genetics/endocrinology.

Some programs may not really care about the prerequisites you took P/F since you've earned good grades in your science electives. Other schools may require that all prerequisites are taken for a letter grade - and if that's the case, it will be up to you to decide whether it's worth it to retake depending on how badly you want to apply to those schools.

I am stunned one can take basic science prerequisite as pass/fail. This was NEVER an option back in the day. And why would you? If I am looking at two candidates, all else being essentially equal, I would reflexively choose the one who aced organic chem. I would be completely befuddled by the one who took it p/f. Science is supposed to be your thing.

I am stunned one can take basic science prerequisite as pass/fail. This was NEVER an option back in the day. And why would you? If I am looking at two candidates, all else being essentially equal, I would reflexively choose the one who aced organic chem. I would be completely befuddled by the one who took it p/f. Science is supposed to be your thing.
These courses are accepted P/F for only the covid period. I P/F only in that period (in which we were all online).

Reactions: 1 users

It became more common/acceptable during COVID. I don’t think P/F prerequisites are here to stay long term.

Reactions: 1 user

This is a no brainer. You must do post bacc to get mastery of material then retake MCAT. Take the 2 years, do it right as you are not competitive enough. If you go forward now it will be huge mistake.

These courses are accepted P/F for only the covid period. I P/F only in that period (in which we were all online).

That was done due to institutional laziness. I can grade papers on line for goodness sake. And i’m a Luddite compared to y’all.