Should I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T4113

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some advice. I got my MCAT score two days ago and it's the weak point in my application. I'm going to go talk to an advisor soon but I also want I guess a "second" opinion.
I really want to go to VCOM. I absolutely fell in love with the school;it's a DO school in Virginia with a second campus in South Carolina. But I am not sure if I should even try.

My overall GPA 3.6
My science GPA 3.3
MCAT 22
EC-
shady grove hospital over 100 hours volunteer
Montgomery General hospital 40 hours
Pregnancy Aid center volunteer
Mercy Health Free Clinic volunteer
National MS Society volunteer
Stepping Stone Program
going to shadow a DO doctor

Part time worker at Highland Shoe Repair

Pre-Medical Society
Pre-Student Osteopathic Medical Association member
American Medical Student Association member
Be a Match Coordinator- March 4-6, 2011
Homenutmen volleyball team (5 years), team manager (2 years)
Homenutmen basketball team (3 years)
Hamasdegh Armenian Dance Group
Hamasdegh Armenian Kindergarten teacher aid (3 years)
Armenian Student Union- member (3 years)
Armenian National Committee of America volunteer
Sourp Khatch Bazaar volunteer

Do I have a shot if I apply the same week applications come out?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you Id seriously consider retaking the MCAT Before you apply. Unfortunately a lot of schools will look at your numbers and might take you out of the running before they even look at your great list of ECs.

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I got my MCAT score two days ago and it's the weak point in my application. I'm going to go talk to an advisor soon but I also want I guess a "second" opinion.
I really want to go to VCOM. I absolutely fell in love with the school;it's a DO school in Virginia with a second campus in South Carolina. But I am not sure if I should even try.

My overall GPA 3.6
My science GPA 3.3
MCAT 22
EC-
shady grove hospital over 100 hours volunteer
Montgomery General hospital 40 hours
Pregnancy Aid center volunteer
Mercy Health Free Clinic volunteer
National MS Society volunteer
Stepping Stone Program
going to shadow a DO doctor

Part time worker at Highland Shoe Repair

Pre-Medical Society
Pre-Student Osteopathic Medical Association member
American Medical Student Association member
Be a Match Coordinator- March 4-6, 2011
Homenutmen volleyball team (5 years), team manager (2 years)
Homenutmen basketball team (3 years)
Hamasdegh Armenian Dance Group
Hamasdegh Armenian Kindergarten teacher aid (3 years)
Armenian Student Union- member (3 years)
Armenian National Committee of America volunteer
Sourp Khatch Bazaar volunteer

Do I have a shot if I apply the same week applications come out?
You might have a shot if you apply with your current score, but the 22 makes your chances at admission fairly low. Re-take the MCAT after studying as much as you can for it. Do you know why your score was so low? Do what you can to fix it and retake. If you can't apply this year, take a gap year but make sure you get a better score next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very unlikely VCOM will accept you with a 22. I'd suggest retaking the exam. They're basically going to look for a comfort level with regards to your ability to handle the coursework and unfortunately a 3.3s gpa doesn't help much to offset the 22 MCAT.

Have you taken any upper level science courses? In addition to VCOM's requirement of at least 2 300+ science courses, A's in such classes would help make a case for your ability to succeed in a medical school classroom. Definitely give serious consideration to sitting for the MCAT again, though

You might have a shot if you apply with your current score, but the 22 makes your chances at admission fairly low. Re-take the MCAT after studying as much as you can for it. Do you know why your score was so low? Do what you can to fix it and retake. If you can't apply this year, take a gap year but make sure you get a better score next time.

I'm afraid of getting a lower score. And I feel like I've already forgot a huge chunk of information.
I've never been a standardized test taker. Even my SAT score was in the 1500s out of 2400s but I was spring semestered into UMCP and I graduated with an overal 3.6- I think that says something.
I know one of the directors of admission from VCOM. Would it be wise to ask him what I should do.
I hate the thought of having to take it again. Honestly, the most brutual thing ever for me.

You really need to try to improve that MCAT score. I also am not good at standardized tests, but you need to leap over this hurdle and you will get in somewhere. Then you have your boards to worry about.

I hate the thought of having to take it again. Honestly, the most brutual thing ever for me.

ugh. I feel you. Talk to your friend the adviser and see what he thinks. But I say, give yourself another year. Take 3 months totally off before starting to study again and do something awesome. You need to recharge before you reattempt, otherwise your efforts won't be sustainable and you won't be able to muster enough energy. Then when you DO attack it again, you're reinvigorated and can approach with fresh eyes. There's one person on here who made an AWESOME MCAT reattempt and really pulled up their score. They totally changed their study methods around and made a big increase. Darn, I searched for it for you and can't find it, which is too bad because I think it would be super helpful for you. I think it was in the nontrad forum, I'll poke around a bit and see if I can find.

Anyways... good luck! Keep us posted. Cheers.

definitely retake! i was able to increase my score from a 22 to a 32 on my retake. if i can do it, anyone can.

It's actually pretty rare that people do worse their second time around. Granted, those individuals retaking are probably extra motivated, studied harder, have a better idea of their weaknesses, etc...but the point is you shouldn't NOT retake simply because you're afraid you'll do worse.

If that's your mentality, I agree that you're going to need to take a step back, recharge and go at this again. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to postpone a year, but it may be something to think about. Definitely use your contact in admissions to help with your decision.

I'm afraid of getting a lower score. And I feel like I've already forgot a huge chunk of information.
I've never been a standardized test taker. Even my SAT score was in the 1500s out of 2400s but I was spring semestered into UMCP and I graduated with an overal 3.6- I think that says something.
I know one of the directors of admission from VCOM. Would it be wise to ask him what I should do.

I know the MCAT sucks, but I agree with the others - I don't see much hope in applying with your numbers, which ECs can do only so much to offset. You need to work on your test skills - even if you got in, you have the COMLEX to look forward to, and I imagine it's just as critical to osteopathic residencies as the USMLE is to allopathic ones. Not an ideal system, but it is what it is.

So, given your currently poor prognosis, and the fact that the COMLEX is harder and more essential to the ULTIMATE goal of practicing medicine, I absolutely recommend you retake the MCAT. Unfortunately, you have to do the whole nine yards again - intensive study and practice exams. If the idea is just too toxic to consider, then you may have to look at other professions with less dependence on standardized tests. Sorry...