Should I even bother taking the COVID exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

Reading many posts on reddit, here, and talking to friends made me a little paranoid about taking the test on Sept 27th. It seems like many people who were getting 517+ on their FLs dropped to low 500s and even below.

I'm not even scoring anywhere near 517 on my practice exams. Here is my breakdown : 507/505/508/512. I am TERRIFIED of scoring below 500. Those who already have taken the COVID test and have your results, do you think I have a chance of getting anywhere close to my practice scores?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My FLs ranged from 517-520 and I got a 523 on the COVID exam. I believe there may even be data out there pointing to a possible higher average with the shortened test. If your friends dropped from 517+ to ~500, I wonder whether they tested under the correct conditions and whether they have test anxiety issues. Have you applied this year already? What is your goal score range?

Reactions: 1 users
My FLs ranged from 517-520 and I got a 523 on the COVID exam. I believe there may even be data out there pointing to a possible higher average with the shortened test. If your friends dropped from 517+ to ~500, I wonder whether they tested under the correct conditions and whether they have test anxiety issues. Have you applied this year already? What is your goal score range?
Congratulations on your awesome score!!

I want 510+. Or realistically at this point anything higher than 500. I'm 7 months pregnant and I know i wont be able to take the exam in January.
500 will get me into a master program with a straight linkage. 510+ would be great for everything else. But right now I'm aiming for 500+.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't trust anecdotal evidence- people are more likely to mention a significant score drop than a consistent score. Your score on the actual exam is weighted, as was your score on the practice tests (weighted based off previous years' data). If you've been taking your practice exams under normal exam conditions, then you should expect your actual score to be in that range as well.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone!

Reading many posts on reddit, here, and talking to friends made me a little paranoid about taking the test on Sept 27th. It seems like many people who were getting 517+ on their FLs dropped to low 500s and even below.

I'm not even scoring anywhere near 517 on my practice exams. Here is my breakdown : 507/505/508/512. I am TERRIFIED of scoring below 500. Those who already have taken the COVID test and have your results, do you think I have a chance of getting anywhere close to my practice scores?

Thank you!
There is no magic to the COVID exam -- it is just shorter. AAMC swears it has the same number of scored questions, but anecdotal evidence on reddit suggest that might not be true, because people have been reporting wide variances, both up and down, from the FLs.

You have no way to know whether this is true, and, if so, whether it will help or hurt you, so there is no reason not to go forward if you are happy with your FLs. You are definitely more prepared, and will have less distractions, now, than at any other time in the next year or so. Good luck, and congratulations on the baby!!!! :cool:

We have found that Covid scores have been slightly higher than our typical averages, but by only a tiny margin. As so many posters have already said, be careful to not let anecdotal examples and hyperbole cause you any stress. The exam is the exam, and Covid or not, you are placed onto a bell curve.

My full lengths (S/1/2/3/4) were 512/512/511/509/515 with an average of 512. Got a 510 on the shortened test, so within the expected range.

My full lengths (S/1/2/3/4) were 512/512/511/509/515 with an average of 512. Got a 510 on the shortened test, so within the expected range.
Gotta say, your username gave me covid19 :soexcited:

• Haha
My FL average was 504/506/508/508, got a 513 on the real deal. I would take it if you're ready!

I took my last AAMC FL (FL4) 10 days before the real thing and got a 516. On the real thing I got a 516.

Hi, everyone!

Thank you!

Your FL score has an upward trend from your second test and your final score was above your target. Given the imminent arrival of your child, congratulations by the way, I would take the test if you feel ready and if all your section scores are above 125.

Thanks, guys!!! I don't think i can wait till March to take it haha

so...only 1 week left till the ultimate Judgment day :rofl:

I'm no expert, but I averaged 505 on my exams, felt I didn't do well and prayed a lot, and got a 511 on the real deal. I would DEFINITELY suggest studying the timing of the new exam - know what time to be at question x by, etc. My guess is a lot of people might be thrown off by the timing change if they're used to the time markers used for the normal length exam. Whatever you do I hope it goes well - good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users