Should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation. I am a below average candidate for medical schools, but am applying this summer anyway. I am applying to about 10 DO schools and was wondering if I should even bother applying to MD schools. I am very open to the DO philosophy and might even prefer to go to a DO school, but I want to increase my chances as high as I can go. I want to limit myself to a certain area for MD schools so I dont spend a lot of money with a .1% chance of getting in. So the schools I was thinking of applying to are UVM in Vermont, BU, Tufts, Albany and maybe NYMC. Below is what I have done and my stats. Let me know if I should send the money or spend the time on the app if I wont even get a secondary back.

My GPA is 3.05 with a 2.84 science. I am going to start with classes at Harvard Extension with two more each in the fall and spring. If I do well in those classes than I could end with a 3.24GPA, 3.20science next spring. I took the MCAT twice, first time got a 25, 2nd got a 24 because I found out my dad had cancer two weeks before the test. I show a big upward trend in my grades since freshman year. I graduated from a top liberal arts college with a degree in chem. I won a fellowship in holistic medicine and studied in Russia and Scotland. I also just found out that my research from my holistic fellowship is going to get published in an Anthro journal. I was a RA, TA, research assistant for 2 years with a pub, student government, had a job as a phebotomist/lab assistant, shadowed DOs and MDs with more to come, great LoRs including Drs, captained rugby for two years, chaired a volunteer organization that taught kids to read for two years and have dealt with family stuff giving me a close view of the medical field and how healing can best take place. I know I am on the lower end, but I hope with my experiences and desire that I can get a few acceptances. I am also 22, 23 this summer, and from NH. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

redwings54 said:
Here is my situation. I am a below average candidate for medical schools, but am applying this summer anyway. I am applying to about 10 DO schools and was wondering if I should even bother applying to MD schools. I am very open to the DO philosophy and might even prefer to go to a DO school, but I want to increase my chances as high as I can go. I want to limit myself to a certain area for MD schools so I dont spend a lot of money with a .1% chance of getting in. So the schools I was thinking of applying to are UVM in Vermont, BU, Tufts, Albany and maybe NYMC. Below is what I have done and my stats. Let me know if I should send the money or spend the time on the app if I wont even get a secondary back.

My GPA is 3.05 with a 2.84 science. I am going to start with classes at Harvard Extension with two more each in the fall and spring. If I do well in those classes than I could end with a 3.24GPA, 3.20science next spring. I took the MCAT twice, first time got a 25, 2nd got a 24 because I found out my dad had cancer two weeks before the test. I show a big upward trend in my grades since freshman year. I graduated from a top liberal arts college with a degree in chem. I won a fellowship in holistic medicine and studied in Russia and Scotland. I also just found out that my research from my holistic fellowship is going to get published in an Anthro journal. I was a RA, TA, research assistant for 2 years with a pub, student government, had a job as a phebotomist/lab assistant, shadowed DOs and MDs with more to come, great LoRs including Drs, captained rugby for two years, chaired a volunteer organization that taught kids to read for two years and have dealt with family stuff giving me a close view of the medical field and how healing can best take place. I know I am on the lower end, but I hope with my experiences and desire that I can get a few acceptances. I am also 22, 23 this summer, and from NH. Thanks

If you can ace all your HES courses and add 5-6 points to your MCAT, you certainly have a shot at allopathic. If you take more classes in a longer postbac and can up your MCAT even higher, your odds for allopathic start to get pretty good. But if you are adverse to putting in the time to get yourself competitive to allopathic and are happy with the DO route, that is certainly a viable quicker option for you.

Bump

Anybody else have any suggestions? I dont want to spend the money if I have zero chance. Thanks

If you really really don't care DO or MD, then I say you might have a shot at a DO school. If you really want the MD, then do a postbac and try to retake the MCAT and pull it up at least 4-5 pts.