Should I finish grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Askangiwa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three years ago, I enrolled in Grad school for Library Sciences but then halfway thru it, I realized that I wanted to go into dentistry.

Actually, I've always wanted to go into dentistry but at the time was too chicken-**** and thought I'd go with a "safe" profession - hence the library field (I'm an avid reader so I thought it would make sense) but my heart really wasn't in it.

Anyway, right now I'm doing my prereqs (chem, bio, physics, etc.) and took a "leave of absense" from the grad program --- but now I'm questioning whether I should just go back and finish for the sake of finishing since I have no plans on working in that field. Or should I just focus on Ace'ing my prereqs?

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits do have left to complete for the grad degree? Is your grad GPA OK?

I have about a year left for grad school (15 credits) and have a 3.8 GPA.

As a person who left a graduate program without completing it, I strongly encourage you to finish it. I left my program for personal reasons. You, however, are doing well in your program and have only 15 credits left. Just quitting the program could be seen as a lack of commitment to adcoms. Also, having a graduate degree will only help you in the job market should you need to a job during your application process.
It's your decision to make, but if I were you, I would finish what I started it. Good luck!