Should I go for EMT-I or Paramedic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, so I'm trying to decide if I should just go for EMT-Intermediate (AEMT) or go all the way to the paramedic level. I'm currently in my early 20's and my long term goal is to go to medical school. Due to financial issues I have been on and off from school, so I still need to complete a lot of classes for my bachelor's. The reason I got into the pre-hospital care is because of course to help people and to work in a medical setting. I currently live with my parents, but I plan on moving out sometime and I will need a job that will provide me with a good salary so I can support myself and pay for my education.

My problem is paramedic school is 2 years long and EMT-I is 2 semesters long. I'm not sure if I want to keep putting my normal studies aside. If I go the paramedic route will it be worth it at the end?

Something in the back of my mind tells me I should take the risk and go for paramedic school, so I can have more knowledge and job opportunities. After the 2 semesters of EMT-I it's just 3 more semesters more for paramedic school.

So what's your opinion? I think I will go post this on a EMT forum too.

Here is the curriculum:
1st Semester

1. Clinical paramedic 1 (hospital and ambulance shifts)
  2. Intro to advanced practice (online)
  3. Patient assessment and airway management
  4. Emergency pharmacology
2nd Semester This is the last semester for people going only for EMT-I
  1. Clinical paramedic 2 (hospital and ambulance shifts)
  2. Trauma management
  3. EMS operation (online)
3rd Semester (Summer) From here it is if you want to become a paramedic
  1. Cardiology
4th Semester
  1. Clinical paramedic 3 (hospital and ambulance shifts)
  2. Special populations
  3. Medical emergencies
5th Semester
  1. Assessment based management
  2. Clinical

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your goal is med school, EMT-I is more than enough. The paramedic route is generally for people interested in a long term career.

If your goal is med school, EMT-I is more than enough. The paramedic route is generally for people interested in a long term career.
I have been talking to other people and basically some told me to stay at EMT-B and after I explained my situation more some people said EMT-I or paramedic. The pay for Paramedic would be much higher and I think that salary would let me live comfortably and I would able to pay for my education. If I were not to proceed to get a degree, my backup career would probably be Firefighter/Paramedic. Furthermore, like anybody on here I would like to shoot for top 10 medical schools and a lot of them require some form of leadership role; my plan is to get employed in the university's EMS program and work my way up for a leadership role. BTW I know it will take more than a leadership role to get into a top 10 school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Emt-I is generally a waste. The pay isn't good enough to justify the extra time spent training. I'd look around to see if there were any non-degree paramedic programs in your area- there's some in my neck of the woods that are two nights a week and can easily be worked around the rest of your life and studies.

Reactions: 1 user
Emt-I is generally a waste. The pay isn't good enough to justify the extra time spent training. I'd look around to see if there were any non-degree paramedic programs in your area- there's some in my neck of the woods that are two nights a week and can easily be worked around the rest of your life and studies.
Yeah, I decided to go with Paramedic. As you see in the curriculum I provided it's going to be Tuesday's and Thursday's and I will be doing night school.

Last edited:
Good luck! For what you need, paramedic is perfect.
Thanks, man. People tell me I will end up giving up on going to medical school, but I doubt it. When I watch medical reality television shows (NY Med, Boston Med) I get too excited and I wished I was a surgeon already. Were you an EMT before?

Thanks, man. People tell me I will end up giving up on going to medical school, but I doubt it. When I watch medical reality television shows (NY Med, Boston Med) I get too excited and I wished I was a surgeon already. Were you an EMT before?
Trained to be an EMT, but I never bothered getting my license since I got a job in the local ED without it that paid more than any ambulance crew would. Don't give up on your dreams bro. It took me till I was 29 to get into med school, but I got. Slow and steady wins the race.

Trained to be an EMT, but I never bothered getting my license since I got a job in the local ED without it that paid more than any ambulance crew would. Don't give up on your dreams bro. It took me till I was 29 to get into med school, but I got. Slow and steady wins the race.
Thanks, brah. I won't give up. People tell me all the time if it bothers me how long it takes to become a doctor and my response is "IDGAF!". lol I rather be in my mid 30's in residency than being in my mid 30's wishing I would of gone to medical school.

Thanks, brah. I won't give up. People tell me all the time if it bothers me how long it takes to become a doctor and my response is "IDGAF!". lol I rather be in my mid 30's in residency than being in my mid 30's wishing I would of gone to medical school.
Exactly. You're gonna be 30-something someday. You might as well be 30-something and a doctor.

I would encourage you to stay out of EMS altogether, if only because it sounds like you'll inevitably be supporting a diploma mill paramedic program. I really don't have a problem with a premedical student trying to get ahead, but I'd encourage you to do it without supporting a group of institutions that really hold down the evolution of EMS.

As has been said in other threads, there are other extracurriculars that will accomplish the same thing with less of a time commitment. EMS experiences only look good to an admissions committee when that experience is legit, i.e. you've walked the walk. If you plan on doing it and gaining some experience by actually working as a professional paramedic, then go for it. I just think there are easier ways into medical school.

I would encourage you to stay out of EMS altogether, if only because it sounds like you'll inevitably be supporting a diploma mill paramedic program. I really don't have a problem with a premedical student trying to get ahead, but I'd encourage you to do it without supporting a group of institutions that really hold down the evolution of EMS.

As has been said in other threads, there are other extracurriculars that will accomplish the same thing with less of a time commitment. EMS experiences only look good to an admissions committee when that experience is legit, i.e. you've walked the walk. If you plan on doing it and gaining some experience by actually working as a professional paramedic, then go for it. I just think there are easier ways into medical school.
Hey Mr. Burgundy, I actually want to work as a medic throughout the years I will attend the university that I want to transfer to. I don't want to be those pre-meds or pre-PA's that get the certification and never put it to use. My main goals are to get a higher salary (to pay for living expenses and school) and to get a leadership role on the school's EMS station (I like to lead).

To be honest, I already applied to Paramedic school this week and I have a high chance of getting in; however, I'm getting cold feet now. lol :unsure: I made some calculations and I think I will get out of medical school in my mid 30's and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that since I really want to go into surgery. I think I will still attend Paramedic school and I could always get out after I have reached the intermediate level.

Edit: What are other less time commitments you were talking about?

Last edited:
Hey Mr. Burgundy, I actually want to work as a medic throughout the years I will attend the university that I want to transfer to. I don't want to be those pre-meds or pre-PA's that get the certification and never put it to use. My main goals are to get a higher salary (to pay for living expenses and school) and to get a leadership role on the school's EMS station (I like to lead).

To be honest, I already applied to Paramedic school this week and I have a high chance of getting in; however, I'm getting cold feet now. lol :unsure: I made some calculations and I think I will get out of medical school in my mid 30's and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that since I really want to go into surgery. I think I will still attend Paramedic school and I could always get out after I have reached the intermediate level.

Edit: What are other less time commitments you were talking about?

Bravo to anyone who actually wants to be a paramedic. It's an honorable profession that is definitely in need of smart people, especially in the years to come.

First, as other have said here before, any research activity (regardless of how practical or meaningful) seems to make most schools salivate. Go spend some time in a wet lab on your college campus, do a poster, or get yourself on a paper and you will probably be looked at higher than nearly anyone with previous healthcare experience at a host of schools. In addition to costing you very little money, I would say the time committment is less than spending 2 years getting an associate's degree in EMS (paramedic). I would say the only corollary to this is DO schools and some select MD institutions, where it seems the admissions process still gives preference to people with an interest in medicine obtained through years of actually doing it. Also, as anyone who had done the process will tell you, nothing substitutes for a high GPA and/or high MCAT.

To clarify my previous point:

I think the larger problem is that ambitious premeds, who are willing to do nearly anything to get ahead, have ruined the advantage that well-intentioned and legitimate paramedics used to have in the admissions process. Where I’m from, becoming a paramedic is typically at least a 2-year commitment and the majority of students now take their course in a college environment. When I interviewed I was surprised by how many supposed “paramedics” I found out there. Some states have lax standards on EMS education and there are tons of places where diploma mills, typically anyone willing to hang a shingle and teach anyone for a fee, have popped up. I can’t tell you how many of these “paramedics” I‘ve met. These applicants were typically ambitious premeds that took a night course over 8-9 months and scrapped together an NREMT certificate. Maybe they “worked” for their campus EMS system, which is to say that they worked in a highly controlled environment where they probably performed with limited autonomy and responsibility (maybe supplementing for a larger 911 system). Again, it’s unfortunate that I obtained this viewpoint during my interviews, let alone an adcom might, since some undergraduate campuses actually do have fairly legitimate 911 services.

The next group contained the “legitimate” paramedics who have actually done the job: which is to say that they worked in a 911 or critical care environment. I found these people to be sufficiently rare because there is a fairly large opportunity cost to working in a respectable 911 system, i.e. attending a fire academy or working for a system with some semblance of standards.

Why do I say all of this? Because there is a substantial variation in the quality of paramedic education in this country. There are some places where becoming a paramedic is every bit as difficult as getting a BSN. There are a surprising number of legitimate, difficult community college and certificate-based courses out there. On the other side of the spectrum are the diploma mills. Sure, a lot of their graduates probably do go on to perform competently, but that’s because their individual students take it seriously and supplement their education with on-the-job training. I’ve worked with many of these medics and, with time and experience, they're quite good at their jobs. That’s not the case for the ambitious premed that only used the certification to feign legitimacy as an allied healthcare worker to get into medical school. They denigrate the EMS profession and they make the work that actual paramedics perform seem trivial to admission committee members who, understandably, may not have the time or background to know better.

If you're looking to become a paramedic, I would only go to a school that has full CAAHEP accreditation. Unfortunately, as a side-effect of the new National Scope of Practice, many programs applied for a "letter of review" in order to continue producing students who were eligible to take the National Registry exam. Some of these programs are probably legit, but I'd use the search function at the site below to filter out programs that have this "letter of review" and then do substantial additional research on your own to see their quality for yourself. Even still, accreditation is a matter of jumping through hoops. Never attend a program until you've talked to graduates and local employers. A good paramedic supervisor can tell you if their grads are competent.

http://www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

Edit: When evaluating a paramedic program, here is generally a list of things to look for:

1) Is the program CAAHEP accredited?
2) Is an associate's degree or higher offered as part of the institution's curriculum? A school offering a degree program has the additional hurdle of meeting accreditation from the school's larger accrediting body.
3) What are the facilities like? Is it part of a larger college campus? Are there simulators?
4) What are the credentials of the faculty? Do your professors/instructors have an educational background?
5) Meet some students. Evaluate their demeanor. Do they seem sufficiently motivated?
6) Meet with potential employers in the area. Do they like the students that come from the program?
7) Does the place feel sketchy? Stick with you gut.
8) Added: What are the clinical experiences like? Are they well organized and stable? Does the program provide OR time for intubation clinicals?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bravo to anyone who actually wants to be a paramedic. It's an honorable profession that is definitely in need of smart people, especially in the years to come.

First, as other have said here before, any research activity (regardless of how practical or meaningful) seems to make most schools salivate. Go spend some time in a wet lab on your college campus, do a poster, or get yourself on a paper and you will probably be looked at higher than nearly anyone with previous healthcare experience at a host of schools. In addition to costing you very little money, I would say the time committment is less than spending 2 years getting an associate's degree in EMS (paramedic). I would say the only corollary to this is DO schools and some select MD institutions, where it seems the admissions process still gives preference to people with an interest in medicine obtained through years of actually doing it. Also, as anyone who had done the process will tell you, nothing substitutes for a high GPA and/or high MCAT.

To clarify my previous point:

I think the larger problem is that ambitious premeds, who are willing to do nearly anything to get ahead, have ruined the advantage that well intentioned and legitimate paramedics used to have in the admissions process. Where I’m from, becoming a paramedic is typically at least a 2-year commitment and the majority of students now take their course in a college environment. When I interviewed I was surprised by how many supposed “paramedics” I found out there. Some states have lax standards on EMS education and there are tons of places where diploma mills, typically anyone willing to hang a shingle and teach anyone for a fee, have popped up. I can’t tell you how many of these “paramedics” I ‘ve met. These applicants were typically ambitious premeds that took a night course over 8-9 months and scrapped together an NREMT certificate. Maybe they “worked” for their campus EMS system, which is to say that they worked in a highly controlled environment where they probably performed with limited autonomy and responsibility (maybe supplementing for a larger 911 system). Again, it’s unfortunate that I obtained this viewpoint during my interviews, let alone an adcom might, since some undergraduate campuses actually do have fairly legitimate 911 services.

The next group contained the “legitimate” paramedics who have actually done the job: which is to say that they worked in a 911 or critical care environment. I found these people to be sufficiently rare because there is a fairly large opportunity cost to working in a respectable 911 system, i.e. attending a fire academy or working for a system with some semblance of standards.

Why do I say all of this? Because there is a substantial variation in the quality of paramedic education in this country. There are some places where becoming a paramedic is every bit as difficult as getting a BSN. There are a surprising number of legitimate, difficult community college and certificate-based courses out there. On the other side of the spectrum are the diploma mills. Sure, a lot of their graduates probably do go on to perform competently, but that’s because their individual students take it seriously and supplement their education with on the job training. I’ve worked with many of these medics and, with time and experience, they're quite good at their jobs. That’s not the case for the ambitious premed that only used the certification to feign legitimacy as an allied healthcare worker to get into medical school. They denigrate the EMS profession and they make the work that actual paramedics perform seem trivial to admission committee members who, understandably, may not have the time or background to know better.

If you're looking to become a paramedic, I would only go to a school that has full CAAHEP accreditation. Unfortunately, as a side-effect of the new National Scope of Practice, many programs applied for a "letter of review" in order to continue producing students who were eligible to take the National Registry exam. Some of these programs are probably legit, but I'd use the search function at the site below to filter out programs that have this "letter of review" and then do substantial additional research on your own to see their quality for yourself. Even still, accreditation is a matter of jumping through hoops. Never attend a program until you've talked to graduates and local employers. A good paramedic supervisor can tell you if their grads are competent.

http://www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

Edit: When evaluating a paramedic program, here is generally a list of things to look for:

1) Is the program CAAHEP accredited?
2) Is an associate's degree or higher offered as part of the institution's curriculum? A school offering a degree program has the additional hurdle of meeting accreditation from the school's larger accrediting body.
3) What are the facilities like? Is it part of a larger college campus? Are there simulators?
4) What are the credentials of the faculty? Do your professors/instructors have an educational background?
5) Meet some students. Evaluate their demeanor. Do they seem sufficiently motivated?
6) Meet with potential employers in the area. Do they like the students that come from the program?
7) Does the place feel sketchy? Stick with you gut.
Thank you for this long response. I like it when people answer my questions or inform me about stuff in full detail; it shows that they care.
Anyways most of the medics around here have gone to the school I applied to. It is CAAHEP accredited and they do offer the associate's degree. They have teacher assistants in the lab that work for major ambulance companies that also work for the school and they keep it real. Do you think I will make enough money to live on my own with just an EMT-I certification? Me and my bro plan on living together, but the apartments they got (it's a college town) they only rent them by room, so if we get a two bedroom we each have to pay our room (about 600-700 bucks a month). I want to do EMS because I like it. You help people when they are in need and when there is downtime I would be able to study or something. I could easily get a personal trainer certification, but the sales side of it it's really stressful (my bro is a PT) and I don't find it enjoyable (go figure lol).

Thank you for this long response. I like it when people answer my questions or inform me about stuff in full detail; it shows that they care.
Anyways most of the medics around here have gone to the school I applied to. It is CAAHEP accredited and they do offer the associate's degree. They have teacher assistants in the lab that work for major ambulance companies that also work for the school and they keep it real. Do you think I will make enough money to live on my own with just an EMT-I certification? Me and my bro plan on living together, but the apartments they got (it's a college town) they only rent them by room, so if we get a two bedroom we each have to pay our room (about 600-700 bucks a month). I want to do EMS because I like it. You help people when they are in need and when there is downtime I would be able to study or something. I could easily get a personal trainer certification, but the sales side of it it's really stressful (my bro is a PT) and I don't find it enjoyable (go figure lol).

This entirely depends on the area where you live and want to work. The intermediate level provider has been virtually eliminated in most states. Only a few states used them in any serious capacity and some states have never used an EMT-I level provider at all. EMS salaries are uniformly low in comparison to other healthcare professionals and some places are downright dismal. I think it'd be very hard to live off of an intermediate's salary, especially when some places in this country still pay paramedics less than $15.00/hr.

As for studying while working as an EMS provider, I think this really depends on the system. You would need a system with a decent amount of downtime, most likely one that uses a 24-hour shift. You'd be looking for 5-6 or less calls per day, which puts you in a mostly suburban or rural setting. Your best bet would be to find an integrated fire-based system, go through their academy, and get a cushy firefighting job where you get to work as a medic. You'll have the protection of a union, good benefits, and a salary more firmly in the middle-class. The problem now is that many decent and foreword thinking fire departments give preference to previously licensed paramedics, so you'd probably have to complete that training before you enter the workforce.

If you want EMS to be a career, I'd personally go for paramedic and then be willing to move. Progressive EMS systems (where medics make good money and have significant autonomy) are like islands in an ocean of mediocrity. Any one state might have 1 or 2 systems with a population large enough (i.e. tax base) and management smart enough to provide for a really great job. Surf the net, visit a few EMS-specific forums, and you'll quickly learn which systems are on the bleeding edge. Some states have universally poorly run EMS systems, which you'll figure out quickly. There are places in this country were people could care less who or how they get to a hospital. The general key is the following: counties/municipalities with a relatively large and typically wealthy (comparatively) tax base, a supportive medical system/medical director, and a history of competent management. Some of these places are experimenting with advanced practice, which would give you additional advancement opportunities. If you'd like a short list of places in the U.S, feel free to PM me.

Pretty much agree with everything OCDEMS has said.

From my experience (working in SC and CA) the best paramedic jobs (the ones where you get good pay and great medical experience) are with big city fire departments or fire districts. These are extremely hard to get since you need to do both paramedic training and attend the fire academy then wait for the next hiring cycle which can be every 2, 3, or even 5 yrs depending on the department's needs. Its a big commitment in its own right, medical school not withstanding. Alternatively, you could also work for a private ambulance company but even as a paramedic this is typically medical transport work with low pay and a few emergency calls thrown in here or there. Not very good for gaining experience if your interest is medicine.

I'll admit that in Texas it might very well be different (bc we all know that Texas is Texas) so I'd do your own research and ask around where you're hoping to live/work. If the pay is much better and there are paramedic openings available at companies that run primarily EMS calls, it might be worth your time. At places that still use them, EMT-I jobs are usually easier to get with a bit more schedule flexibility. Just something to think about if you're hoping to take a few college courses per semester and work shifts. The pay won't be as good as paramedic but its usually a few dollars per hr more than basic. I'd seriously look into ED tech positions if any are available nearby. You'll get the most experience working directly with surgeons every shift and the pay is generally a little better at least where I've lived.

Pretty much agree with everything OCDEMS has said.

From my experience (working in SC and CA) the best paramedic jobs (the ones where you get good pay and great medical experience) are with big city fire departments or fire districts. These are extremely hard to get since you need to do both paramedic training and attend the fire academy then wait for the next hiring cycle which can be every 2, 3, or even 5 yrs depending on the department's needs. Its a big commitment in its own right, medical school not withstanding. Alternatively, you could also work for a private ambulance company but even as a paramedic this is typically medical transport work with low pay and a few emergency calls thrown in here or there. Not very good for gaining experience if your interest is medicine.

I'll admit that in Texas it might very well be different (bc we all know that Texas is Texas) so I'd do your own research and ask around where you're hoping to live/work. If the pay is much better and there are paramedic openings available at companies that run primarily EMS calls, it might be worth your time. At places that still use them, EMT-I jobs are usually easier to get with a bit more schedule flexibility. Just something to think about if you're hoping to take a few college courses per semester and work shifts. The pay won't be as good as paramedic but its usually a few dollars per hr more than basic. I'd seriously look into ED tech positions if any are available nearby. You'll get the most experience working directly with surgeons every shift and the pay is generally a little better at least where I've lived.

Yeah, like I said earlier I'm starting to get cold feet. I think I'm just going to go up to EMT-I. I really want to learn how to start IV's, intubate, and other ALS skills; those skills will give me a better chance to get a job as a tech. I'm starting to get worried because the university is in a rural area and I have been looking for job opportunities and nothing pops up. I live in the city right now, but the university here doesn't have the major I want. Anyways, the reason I'm thinking now that the paramedic program is not going to be for me it's because like you guys said it will make me put school aside a lot longer. I don't want to graduate medical school in my mid 30's, I want to be in residency in my mid 30's.

LOL "911"
6a33d0e5e78bf3accff5188b87af7e8b.png

Yeah, like I said earlier I'm starting to get cold feet. I think I'm just going to go up to EMT-I. I really want to learn how to start IV's, intubate, and other ALS skills; those skills will give me a better chance to get a job as a tech. I'm starting to get worried because the university is in a rural area and I have been looking for job opportunities and nothing pops up. I live in the city right now, but the university here doesn't have the major I want. Anyways, the reason I'm thinking now that the paramedic program is not going to be for me it's because like you guys said it will make me put school aside a lot longer. I don't want to graduate medical school in my mid 30's, I want to be in residency in my mid 30's.

Get a job as a tech. You don't need your ALS cert to do so. They teach you how to start IVs and splint as a tech. I have also never seen an attending page a tech for a difficult airway. Or any airway for that matter.

I went this route for my career and now I am trying to go to medical school. Worked for a fire department for almost 6 years, did some part time work on a neo/peds critical care team, and now fly on helicopter. I did all my prereqs part time over 3 years (48 hours) and it has not been fun. It especially sucks after getting crushed on the medic unit the night before. I basically spent every single day going to work or school. The summer was amazing. I left a defined benefit pension and a retirement at 53 with 30 years on the job. 99% of the people I know call me crazy for doing that but I wanted to practice at a higher level, I just didn't know it at the time. I am incredibly happy, and thankful, for my time at the FD and in EMS. But it wasn't enough. At the same time, there is no way I would have been capable of going to medical school at 23. I wasn't mature enough. So I wouldn't change what I did, even if it means starting medical school at 3o.

Lastly, please don't take offense to this: it is good that you are getting cold feet. The really good medics, the ones that have it together, are less concerned with performing skills and more concerned with asking "why?" Or, "what doesn't fit?" Save your time, money, and energies for your prereqs.

Get a job as a tech. You don't need your ALS cert to do so. They teach you how to start IVs and splint as a tech. I have also never seen an attending page a tech for a difficult airway. Or any airway for that matter.

I went this route for my career and now I am trying to go to medical school. Worked for a fire department for almost 6 years, did some part time work on a neo/peds critical care team, and now fly on helicopter. I did all my prereqs part time over 3 years (48 hours) and it has not been fun. It especially sucks after getting crushed on the medic unit the night before. I basically spent every single day going to work or school. The summer was amazing. I left a defined benefit pension and a retirement at 53 with 30 years on the job. 99% of the people I know call me crazy for doing that but I wanted to practice at a higher level, I just didn't know it at the time. I am incredibly happy, and thankful, for my time at the FD and in EMS. But it wasn't enough. At the same time, there is no way I would have been capable of going to medical school at 23. I wasn't mature enough. So I wouldn't change what I did, even if it means starting medical school at 3o.

Lastly, please don't take offense to this: it is good that you are getting cold feet. The really good medics, the ones that have it together, are less concerned with performing skills and more concerned with asking "why?" Or, "what doesn't fit?" Save your time, money, and energies for your prereqs.
Thanks for your input. I think I will look for an ED tech position because I have also heard that those long EMS shifts can take a total on your GPA. The sucky part is that they mostly hire ALS people as techs in my area; it is really hard to find a ED tech position as a basic. I decided to just go up to EMT-I. I really don't want to start medical school in my 30's, you never know if by then I would have a family already and that will just complicate things. I also feel more mature now. I have been out of my normal classes for like 2 years. Before I would see that I had A's or B's in my classes then I would slack off and put classwork aside thinking my grade wouldn't drop much, wrong.

Thanks for your input. I think I will look for an ED tech position because I have also heard that those long EMS shifts can take a total on your GPA. The sucky part is that they mostly hire ALS people as techs in my area; it is really hard to find a ED tech position as a basic. I decided to just go up to EMT-I. I really don't want to start medical school in my 30's, you never know if by then I would have a family already and that will just complicate things. I also feel more mature now. I have been out of my normal classes for like 2 years. Before I would see that I had A's or B's in my classes then I would slack off and put classwork aside thinking my grade wouldn't drop much, wrong.

Not a problem. An important thing to consider, however, is that long EMS shifts are not the only thing that will drain your GPA. Anything that prevents you from studying or attending class will negatively impact your GPA. I'm sure you already know this...that's the benefit of maturity.

I guess the most significant question you should ask yourself is "what do you want out of being a tech?" Clinical experience is clinical experience. A tech in an ER is no more valuable than a tech in an assisted living facility. Hospitals undoubtedly pay the best...so shoot for a med/surg floor. Maybe even a tele floor. Anecdote here: the person that I know with the best EKG reading skills was someone that worked as a telemetry tech.

I think my greatest strength from my EMS background has little to do psychomotor skills that I have learned, and everything to do with functioning as a member of a multidisciplinary team. Essentially, "making things happen.*" Here is one of my favorite blog posts that really hammered it home for me: http://kidocs.org/2013/12/zero-hero/

*Shamelessly usurped from Dr. Cliff Reid's keynote address regarding retrieval medicine-

Not a problem. An important thing to consider, however, is that long EMS shifts are not the only thing that will drain your GPA. Anything that prevents you from studying or attending class will negatively impact your GPA. I'm sure you already know this...that's the benefit of maturity.

I guess the most significant question you should ask yourself is "what do you want out of being a tech?" Clinical experience is clinical experience. A tech in an ER is no more valuable than a tech in an assisted living facility. Hospitals undoubtedly pay the best...so shoot for a med/surg floor. Maybe even a tele floor. Anecdote here: the person that I know with the best EKG reading skills was someone that worked as a telemetry tech.

I think my greatest strength from my EMS background has little to do psychomotor skills that I have learned, and everything to do with functioning as a member of a multidisciplinary team. Essentially, "making things happen.*" Here is one of my favorite blog posts that really hammered it home for me: http://kidocs.org/2013/12/zero-hero/

*Shamelessly usurped from Dr. Cliff Reid's keynote address regarding retrieval medicine-

I will look into the video you provided later. lol I'm currently studying for a test I have this afternoon. So I could get a tech job in a different part of the hospital? That would be cool! I think the reason I want chose becoming a tech better it is because the pay and you get to work in a hospital (along doctors and other healthcare staff). However, I think a lot of tech jibs are 12 hour shifts, though.

So I could get a tech job in a different part of the hospital? That would be cool! I think the reason I want chose becoming a tech better it is because the pay and you get to work in a hospital (along doctors and other healthcare staff). However, I think a lot of tech jibs are 12 hour shifts, though.

Yes, they need techs in every area of the hospital. There are many different kinds of techs too. Look for a patient care tech, though. I can't speak to specifics, but most places require CPR and EMT-B or CNA certification. But, everywhere is different.

Your mileage may vary, but I applied as a tech in both ERs and ICUs as a paramedic. I didn't get anything. I think a lot of it had to deal with the fact that I was trying to get a flight job and "ICU" experience. They probably saw through my application...there is such a thing as being overqualified too. So, college graduate with 2 years experience as a paramedic in a busy, progressive EMS department...nada. Didn't even get a phone call.

Tech shifts vary as well, with the most common being a 12 hour shift. You will also most likely get a rotating day/night schedule in addition to rotating weekends and holidays. I can tell you that 24 hour shifts are hard, but the worst combination of shifts I worked was while part time on a critical care team in addition to my fire department job. I worked two-12 hour shifts per week, and tried to squeeze them in on my fire department 4 day break. Sometimes I would work the 6a-6p, 7a-7p...which was cool. My favorite was a 2p-2a shift. The worst, however, were the 6p-6a or 7p-7a shifts. In a period of 4 days I would switch from day to night shift, then back to day. It was terrible on the little circadian rhythm that I did have.

Don't be lured by the extra 20% bonus pay that is offered by night shift if you don't absolutely need it. There is no point in going to class if you can't concentrate. During the last semester of prereqs, my O Chem II lecture was from 730-845pm. On more than one occasion I simply got up and left. Sitting in class, thinking of everything but organic chemistry, was a waste of time. In all honesty, the most valuable skill I obtained from O Chem was the ability to understand English with a heavy Indian accent. I have translated a couple of times for my wife...which I found comical.

Good luck, with whatever you decide.

Yes, they need techs in every area of the hospital. There are many different kinds of techs too. Look for a patient care tech, though. I can't speak to specifics, but most places require CPR and EMT-B or CNA certification. But, everywhere is different.

Your mileage may vary, but I applied as a tech in both ERs and ICUs as a paramedic. I didn't get anything. I think a lot of it had to deal with the fact that I was trying to get a flight job and "ICU" experience. They probably saw through my application...there is such a thing as being overqualified too. So, college graduate with 2 years experience as a paramedic in a busy, progressive EMS department...nada. Didn't even get a phone call.

Tech shifts vary as well, with the most common being a 12 hour shift. You will also most likely get a rotating day/night schedule in addition to rotating weekends and holidays. I can tell you that 24 hour shifts are hard, but the worst combination of shifts I worked was while part time on a critical care team in addition to my fire department job. I worked two-12 hour shifts per week, and tried to squeeze them in on my fire department 4 day break. Sometimes I would work the 6a-6p, 7a-7p...which was cool. My favorite was a 2p-2a shift. The worst, however, were the 6p-6a or 7p-7a shifts. In a period of 4 days I would switch from day to night shift, then back to day. It was terrible on the little circadian rhythm that I did have.

Don't be lured by the extra 20% bonus pay that is offered by night shift if you don't absolutely need it. There is no point in going to class if you can't concentrate. During the last semester of prereqs, my O Chem II lecture was from 730-845pm. On more than one occasion I simply got up and left. Sitting in class, thinking of everything but organic chemistry, was a waste of time. In all honesty, the most valuable skill I obtained from O Chem was the ability to understand English with a heavy Indian accent. I have translated a couple of times for my wife...which I found comical.

Good luck, with whatever you decide.
I was looking back at my post on my previous post; man I was having major brain farts with my spelling, I guess since I typed it on a hurry. lol
Dude, I forgot to say how badass you are that you are a Flight Medic. :thumbup:
I gotta say, I got more advise here on this forum, than in Emtlife.com So working as a tech will I have the chance to live a normal college/social life (classes in the morning and enough time to relax)?

I was looking back at my post on my previous post; man I was having major brain farts with my spelling, I guess since I typed it on a hurry. lol
Dude, I forgot to say how badass you are that you are a Flight Medic. :thumbup:
I gotta say, I got more advise here on this forum, than in Emtlife.com So working as a tech will I have the chance to live a normal college/social life (classes in the morning and enough time to relax)?

Sorry for the delayed response. Didn't realize you replied. Hopefully the tips help. I would not have gotten where I am today without the benefit of advice.

I have never worked as a tech so I can't really speak to a social life while employed in that capacity. I think the overall point to take away from employment while satisfying prerequisites, at least in my own experience, has been that it requires significant discipline. You don't have to remove yourself completely from social activities, and I would greatly discourage that practice, but you do have to exercise judgement. It's all about what you choose to make your priority, IMO. You have to find some sort of time to enjoy life otherwise you will likely burn out. Somewhat like those "you're not you when you're hungry" Snickers commercials, I consider myself a social person. I enjoy working and interacting with others, as cliche as that may be. If I didn't play coed softball and kickball I probably would go nuts. I actually quit my college's alumni softball team because they were too serious. I get enough of that at work so the last thing I was concerned with was my slugging percentage.

Thanks for the hat tip on the profession; it's a lot of fun. My company has a significant presence in Texas...I ride around in a black and yellow bird. I have super wimpy eyes so the best part of my job is the fact that I have sunglasses built into my helmet. It's the little things in life...

Good luck.

Sorry for the delayed response. Didn't realize you replied. Hopefully the tips help. I would not have gotten where I am today without the benefit of advice.

I have never worked as a tech so I can't really speak to a social life while employed in that capacity. I think the overall point to take away from employment while satisfying prerequisites, at least in my own experience, has been that it requires significant discipline. You don't have to remove yourself completely from social activities, and I would greatly discourage that practice, but you do have to exercise judgement. It's all about what you choose to make your priority, IMO. You have to find some sort of time to enjoy life otherwise you will likely burn out. Somewhat like those "you're not you when you're hungry" Snickers commercials, I consider myself a social person. I enjoy working and interacting with others, as cliche as that may be. If I didn't play coed softball and kickball I probably would go nuts. I actually quit my college's alumni softball team because they were too serious. I get enough of that at work so the last thing I was concerned with was my slugging percentage.

Thanks for the hat tip on the profession; it's a lot of fun. My company has a significant presence in Texas...I ride around in a black and yellow bird. I have super wimpy eyes so the best part of my job is the fact that I have sunglasses built into my helmet. It's the little things in life...

Good luck.
I'm not gonna lie, I thought you were not going to reply anymore, but it's okay. I just woke up about an hour ago. I did a 24 hour shift, during the shift I probably slept about 3-4 hours. What I noticed from this clinical shift was that I don't know if I want all this responsibility as a paramedic and at the same time trying to handle college, thus I believe intermediate level will be fine for me.

Last edited:
I don't know if I want all this responsibility as a paramedic and at the same time trying to handle college, thus I believe intermediate level will be fine for me.

You can never infer tone from written word, so don't take this response as being snippy or pissy.

That is a slap in the face to a lot of phenomenal EMS providers-regardless of level. Your level of responsibility does not change between being an EMT-I and EMT-P since both levels are advanced life support providers. You might not intubate pediatric patients, but you will for the adult population. A misidentified esophageal intubation in an adult is a rather hefty responsibility. If you're in a system that pairs EMT-Is with EMT-Ps then your partner will still rely upon you.

While I was an EMT-I, the standards I was held to were the same for paramedics. My FD was different (a specific quote from the state OMD committee meeting was "Nowhere else in the country do EMT-Intermediates RSI patients") so you may experience something else. Clearly, scope of practice varies between EMT-I and EMT-P. The responsibility to your patients, however, does not. Obviously I am biased having worked and volunteered in this field for 14 years, but based upon that response I would highly suggest employment in a nonclinical field. Every patient that needs your assistance is relying upon you.

I'm not pissed. It really doesn't make one difference to me. I'm just telling you how that comment would be perceived in the EMS community.

You can never infer tone from written word, so don't take this response as being snippy or pissy.

That is a slap in the face to a lot of phenomenal EMS providers-regardless of level. Your level of responsibility does not change between being an EMT-I and EMT-P since both levels are advanced life support providers. You might not intubate pediatric patients, but you will for the adult population. A misidentified esophageal intubation in an adult is a rather hefty responsibility. If you're in a system that pairs EMT-Is with EMT-Ps then your partner will still rely upon you.

While I was an EMT-I, the standards I was held to were the same for paramedics. My FD was different (a specific quote from the state OMD committee meeting was "Nowhere else in the country do EMT-Intermediates RSI patients") so you may experience something else. Clearly, scope of practice varies between EMT-I and EMT-P. The responsibility to your patients, however, does not. Obviously I am biased having worked and volunteered in this field for 14 years, but based upon that response I would highly suggest employment in a nonclinical field. Every patient that needs your assistance is relying upon you.

I'm not pissed. It really doesn't make one difference to me. I'm just telling you how that comment would be perceived in the EMS community.
No worries, I can understand that, I would want someone to be 110% if I needed their help in an emergency. When I said I don't want that big responsibility it probably came out wrong, it probably sounded like if I was trying to sound careless for a patient. Hahaha I believe it's not that or else I wouldn't be choosing medicine as a career path. I guess since I haven't had that advanced training yet I feel scared (no confident) of choosing something wrong and then going home and having to worry if my actions were right ones for that patient.