Should I go to this interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowIMetYourPet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advice....

So on a super happy note, I've been accepted to St Georges for this fall (yay!!) but now I'm in a conundrum....

I have 4 more interviews coming up, 3 of which are for UK schools. Now, I know I'm going to my interviews for Edinburgh and RVC, because they're my #2 and #3 choices, but I also have an interview for Glasgow, and I can't decide if I should go to it......I can't decide if I would go there over St. Georges if Glasgow takes me... You see.... Glasgow only has a 5 year program... that's another year of tuition, another year of living expenses, and another year of not having income. That being said, I'm still a touch worried about the stigma attached to Carribean vets, when compared to graduating from a UK school.... also.... the interview itself is in NYC, and will cost me a good 600-1000 dollars for flight and hotel. That's a lot of mooghla

So...what would you guys do?

*note I need to decide soon too, because my interview is at the beginning of Feb*

Thanks for any help/advise/thoughts you can give!

HIMYP

Members don't see this ad.

No one can answer this for you.
Figure out if you would go over at George's or not. There is your answer.
Force yourself to make the decision now. No point putting it off,

Otherwise spend a grand to have a good time in NYC.

I guess the root of my indecision is this:

Among the vet community, which school is held in higher regard/which school would help further a vet med career?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the root of my indecision is this:

Among the vet community, which school is held in higher regard/which school would help further a vet med career?

I think the stigma associated with island schools is largely gone away. I'm sure it's still out there a bit, but in just the last 4-5 years I've seen a HUGE difference in opinion swing.

I generally agree with SOV - it's just a decision you need to make that nobody can really guide you in. But with regard to island stigma - I wouldn't let that be a large factor in the decision if it were me. People are far less concerned with where you went to school than they are with you personally. It's not like some other fields in that regard.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can avoid going to a Caribbean school, by all means do it. I would definitely go to the interview. My 2 cents.

As for the interview costs, try looking at studentuniverse.com. Also, there are a few airlines that have started doing extremely cheap flights to NYC so try doing a some searching online. As for the hotel, I've had to start sleeping at the airport during my interviews. If that's not an option for you, look into hostels and other alternatives that are available in a major city like NYC.

You can also look at air bnb for cheap places to stay. I've never looked at NYC, but I imagine there would be a lot of options.
I love Airbnb and use it a ton for even regular travel!

I agree with LIS. It doesn't matter what vet school you go to; it is what you make it. As an individual, it is your job to succeed in this field, not the school's job. Ultimately, you're still going to be a vet and know everything everyone else in other schools will know. So don't let that be part of your decision.

However, if I were you, I would still go to the interview. You wouldn't want to regret it. It's nice to have options. Money comes and goes.

Congrats on your acceptance by the way!:biglove:

Reactions: 1 user
Ahhh I'm in your boat too, girl. But luckily I live by the interview. My offer stands if you have nowhere to stay in NYC! You are welcome to crash at my house.

If you can avoid going to a Caribbean school, by all means do it. I would definitely go to the interview. My 2 cents.

As for the interview costs, try looking at studentuniverse.com. Also, there are a few airlines that have started doing extremely cheap flights to NYC so try doing a some searching online. As for the hotel, I've had to start sleeping at the airport during my interviews. If that's not an option for you, look into hostels and other alternatives that are available in a major city like NYC.
Usually I would agree for cost reasons, but between Glasgow and SGU I'm not sure there is a significant cost difference. I don't know the specifics but it sounds like Glasgow may be just as expensive to attend. Can't think of any other reason someone should avoid the Carib schools...

I would say avoid the Caribbean simply because the loans aren't regulated like they are for most schools. I know several vets that graduated from the islands (different schools, same story) who are deeply in debt because the schools can change the interest on the loans in just about any way they want. I was considering applying to the islands and one vet flat out told me not to and that he regrets going to school there for the issues he has now with the debt.

I would say avoid the Caribbean simply because the loans aren't regulated like they are for most schools. I know several vets that graduated from the islands (different schools, same story) who are deeply in debt because the schools can change the interest on the loans in just about any way they want. I was considering applying to the islands and one vet flat out told me not to and that he regrets going to school there for the issues he has now with the debt.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that before.

Do they have a private lone that is variable rate or something? Unless there loan is directly from the school (which I don't believe any of them offer?), I don't see how the school can control the interest rates of their loans. The school can't just make the lender up the interest.

Also, now that SGU and Ross are accredited, I imagine most people use government loans. Those won't be in anyway effected by where you go to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did the vets you talked to maybe attend the schools before they were accredited?

Hey guys, I need some advice....

So on a super happy note, I've been accepted to St Georges for this fall (yay!!) but now I'm in a conundrum....

I have 4 more interviews coming up, 3 of which are for UK schools. Now, I know I'm going to my interviews for Edinburgh and RVC, because they're my #2 and #3 choices, but I also have an interview for Glasgow, and I can't decide if I should go to it......I can't decide if I would go there over St. Georges if Glasgow takes me... You see.... Glasgow only has a 5 year program... that's another year of tuition, another year of living expenses, and another year of not having income. That being said, I'm still a touch worried about the stigma attached to Carribean vets, when compared to graduating from a UK school.... also.... the interview itself is in NYC, and will cost me a good 600-1000 dollars for flight and hotel. That's a lot of mooghla

So...what would you guys do?

*note I need to decide soon too, because my interview is at the beginning of Feb*

Thanks for any help/advise/thoughts you can give!

HIMYP
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! So happy for you!!!

Whenever I have doubts about doing something, my Nonna used to tell me that the fact that I was having the doubts tells me what I need to know.

However, like everyone has said, only you can decide whether you should take the other interviews. Are you happy turning down any other options and going to SGU? It looks like you are confident that you can handle overseas life based on your school choices (I couldn't do it!).

This is BS. The loans at the Caribbean schools that are accredited (if you're doing government funding and not private loans) are regulated just the same as any US schools with federal loans. If you don't have a fixed interest rate then yeah, the interest may change along the way and it's completely out of your hands. But the majority of students who attend the accredited Caribbean schools use federal funding and it's definitely regulated. Perhaps the vet you talked to needed to take out private funding because they didn't go to an accredited school.

This is BS. The loans at the Caribbean schools that are accredited (if you're doing government funding and not private loans) are regulated just the same as any US schools with federal loans. If you don't have a fixed interest rate then yeah, the interest may change along the way and it's completely out of your hands. But the majority of students who attend the accredited Caribbean schools use federal funding and it's definitely regulated. Perhaps the vet you talked to needed to take out private funding because they didn't go to an accredited school.

Agreed. We get regular federal funding just like everyone else.

Dont forget if you go to the UK you have the extra tests to pass before you can practice in the US.

Agreed. We get regular federal funding just like everyone else.
I don't know a ton about student loans, but don't federal loans only cover about $35,000, The rest would have to be private and I think this is where higher interest rates come in, though I doubt it's legal to give someone a loan with adjusting interest without their knowledge.

Thanks for all the input guys

Oh, and to lay it to rest, all schools, both UK and Island (well, the islands down south, I guess the UK is an Island too ;) ) are AVMA accredited and I can therefore get loans through FAFSA. I think the max for the "standard" loan is like 45k or something, but there are also PLUS loans for professional students that makes up any difference. No student at any AVMA school should have to get private loans.

Anyway...

I'm still undecided but leaning towards still going...like someone above said, I don't want any regrets!!!

Thanks all, for your input!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know a ton about student loans, but don't federal loans only cover about $35,000, The rest would have to be private and I think this is where higher interest rates come in, though I doubt it's legal to give someone a loan with adjusting interest without their knowledge.

Grad PLUS loans should cover what the unsubsidized loans don't. Actually just looked this up recently because I had a panic attack about max loan limits and there is a limit on the unsubsidized but none on the grad plus loans. Thanks to @dyachei for helping find this info in my moment of panic.

Thanks for all the input guys

Oh, and to lay it to rest, all schools, both UK and Island (well, the islands down south, I guess the UK is an Island too ;) ) are AVMA accredited and I can therefore get loans through FAFSA. I think the max for the "standard" loan is like 45k or something, but there are also PLUS loans for professional students that makes up any difference. No student at any AVMA school should have to get private loans.

Anyway...

I'm still undecided but leaning towards still going...like someone above said, I don't want any regrets!!!

Thanks all, for your input!

What you should decide is would you attend SGU over Glasgow if you had acceptances to both. If the answer is yes then it might not be worth going to the interview since it won't change anything.

Grad PLUS loans should cover what the unsubsidized loans don't. Actually just looked this up recently because I had a panic attack about max loan limits and there is a limit on the unsubsidized but none on the grad plus loans. Thanks to @dyachei for helping find this info in my moment of panic.

This. And then if you supply any parental info you may qualify for the Health Professionals Loan and I think possibly even Perkins but I might be wrong on that one.

Dont forget if you go to the UK you have the extra tests to pass before you can practice in the US.

If anything, you have fewer tests at Glasgow. 1-2 tests /class per year and then the NAVLE and that's it. They have been AVMA accredited for a very long time.

Also, going to Glasgow for 5 years was cheaper for me than going OOS for 4.
I may be bias (well duh), but I loved my time at Glasgow and wouldn't give back that extra year. I got to live abroad for longer and it was an awesome experience.

Reactions: 2 users