What are my chances and where do I go next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emmelgan

Reaction score
Feeling incredibly nervous and quite frankly losing hope about applying to veterinary schools. This will be my second time applying through VMCAs. I didn’t take undergrad seriously and decided to party and really not put the effort in and was in an emotionally abusive relationship which caused me to have an embarrassingly low undergraduate GPA. I went on to get a masters at the University to Florida in veterinary forensic sciences. I was told in a file review from ISU to retake the sciences courses that I got a C in, so that’s what I’m currently doing. I am also taking additional science courses so I can apply to other schools next cycle if I do not get in this cycle. I applied to Iowa State, SGU, Long Island University, and Lincoln Memorial this cycle.
VMCA calculations:
Overall Science- 2.68
Graduate Science- 3.52
cGPA Overall Undergraduate Science- 2.39
Baccalaureate Science- 2.53
Overall- 2.63
ISU calculated my last 45 (before my masters was complete) at 2.74
Volunteer hours (animal related)- 3,989
Volunteer hours (non-animal related)- 430
Clinic Hours (small animal, equine, food animal, farm animal)- 3,687
I’m looking for any words of wisdom, help, schools I should be adding to my list next cycle, what schools look at masters grades, what schools replace grades, anything helps. I’m feeling incredibly discouraged and feeling like I’m wasting all this money because of my undergraduate GPA and won’t be accepted for who I am NOW versus who I WAS. I’ve tried boosting my GPA but I have so many credit hours it barely moves no matter what I do. Thanks y’all and best of luck to anyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Feeling incredibly nervous and quite frankly losing hope about applying to veterinary schools. This will be my second time applying through VMCAs. I didn’t take undergrad seriously and decided to party and really not put the effort in and was in an emotionally abusive relationship which caused me to have an embarrassingly low undergraduate GPA. I went on to get a masters at the University to Florida in veterinary forensic sciences. I was told in a file review from ISU to retake the sciences courses that I got a C in, so that’s what I’m currently doing. I am also taking additional science courses so I can apply to other schools next cycle if I do not get in this cycle. I applied to Iowa State, SGU, Long Island University, and Lincoln Memorial this cycle.
VMCA calculations:
Overall Science- 2.68
Graduate Science- 3.52
cGPA Overall Undergraduate Science- 2.39
Baccalaureate Science- 2.53
Overall- 2.63
ISU calculated my last 45 (before my masters was complete) at 2.74
Volunteer hours (animal related)- 3,989
Volunteer hours (non-animal related)- 430
Clinic Hours (small animal, equine, food animal, farm animal)- 3,687
I’m looking for any words of wisdom, help, schools I should be adding to my list next cycle, what schools look at masters grades, what schools replace grades, anything helps. I’m feeling incredibly discouraged and feeling like I’m wasting all this money because of my undergraduate GPA and won’t be accepted for who I am NOW versus who I WAS. I’ve tried boosting my GPA but I have so many credit hours it barely moves no matter what I do. Thanks y’all and best of luck to anyone applying this cycle!
Check out UMN. I believe they are changing this year to only look at required course grades and last 45 hours, not overall GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on how long it’s been since undergrad this may not help currently but one school, I think it’s Missouri, has an option of only looking at your last six years of coursework. This means you have to have completed all prerequisites within the past six years but if your undergrad drags the gpas down too far to get in it’s something you could consider going for in the future. It was something I could see through VMCAS on the program page/prereqs/questions on the specific program once added in VMCAS.

Illinois has the option to ignore the first semester or first year of college but you can’t use those classes for prereqs. You can also ignore academics completed 6 years ago

Also it depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. Applying to schools in the carribean tend to be slightly less competitive but are pricey, similarly combined programs (ie WSU/USU) are generally less competitive but expensive and often have you living somewhere less desirable for the first two years. A lot of international schools are somewhat easier for US students to get into since they often don't require a full bachelor's beforehand and while they can be expensive, they aren't all that much more than oos tuition.

The vast majority of US schools also do not require a bachelors. I know Davis does (did??) but I don’t know if anywhere else does.
Couldn't agree more!! go to the cheapest school!!!

• Love