Should I include a negative experience with healthcare as a motivation for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juuco

Reaction score
My father passed away while I was in high school due to a massive heart attack. While in the ER the staff gave my mother and I a lot of unnecessary grief. Conversely, I have seen a lot of great things working in the ED and plan on paralleling the two. This situation really impacted my thoughts on medicine and is a large reason why I am a premed student. I dont want to put others down too much and maybe I should write about something a little more positive--I also I don't want to come across as a holier than thou prick. Additionally, I am applying for an early entry program that doesn't require your traditional PS, but I'm assuming they are similar.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you met with admission staff at the EA/Ed schools? Have they gone over your application and given you the go ahead to apply EA?

I know that your experience when your dad died was most likely the worst thing that has happened to you, your mom and your family. This situation is always tough, no matter when it happens. If you should compare it to another experience on a med school application I really don’t know. The experience with your dad was so personal and when it involves family members every “bad” thing that resulted is magnified by a lot. You probably can’t even separate the stuff that happened logically and without hugely personal bias . Everything that happened was bad because your dad was the patient. I have no idea what the second experience you plan to use is, but it sounds like you were strictly an observer to an ER event with no deeply personal feelings for anyone involved. You can be logical and think why didn’t this happen to me and my mom when my dad was so sick. And that might be okay but the two situations are vastly different with the biggest differences being the emotional aspect, followed by your age at the time, understanding of hospital protocol in these situations, the suddenness , concern about your parents etc..

It sounds like you might have good clinical exposure. Maybe something else would be a better fit. I’m not understanding why this horrible experience brought you to medicine. It might have driven others away.

Good luck as you move forward.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you met with admission staff at the EA/Ed schools? Have they gone over your application and given you the go ahead to apply EA?

I know that your experience when your dad died was most likely the worst thing that has happened to you, your mom and your family. This situation is always tough, no matter when it happens. If you should compare it to another experience on a med school application I really don’t know. The experience with your dad was so personal and when it involves family members every “bad” thing that resulted is magnified by a lot. You probably can’t even separate the stuff that happened logically and without hugely personal bias . Everything that happened was bad because your dad was the patient. I have no idea what the second experience you plan to use is, but it sounds like you were strictly an observer to an ER event with no deeply personal feelings for anyone involved. You can be logical and think why didn’t this happen to me and my mom when my dad was so sick. And that might be okay but the two situations are vastly different with the biggest differences being the emotional aspect, followed by your age at the time, understanding of hospital protocol in these situations, the suddenness , concern about your parents etc..

It sounds like you might have good clinical exposure. Maybe something else would be a better fit. I’m not understanding why this horrible experience brought you to medicine. It might have driven others away.

Good luck as you move forward.
I am applying for a 3+4 bs/do program--i have briefly spoke with some adcom members about expectations and they were optimistic about my being accepted.

I agree that my perspective is probably too skewed for any amount of objectivity. Im admittedly a little strange as I applied to work in the ED as a scribe after this incident in order to give myself a better perspective on what took place. After seeing ED staff provide compassionate care to others and its impact on families (along with academic rigor required of medicine) my interest in medicine sprouted. Ive been told that this narrative might be useful when im writing my PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually discussing this scenario over the summer with the admissions department at my school and the short answer is not to talk negatively of medicine in a personal statement.

The admissions committee understands that medicine is not perfect and also the many things wrong with it. They want to select students who are motivated and enthusiastic about medicine because they feel those students will get through med school and have long and productive careers. That's what I was told.

Now, when you become a doctor you can be the person who instigates the change that is needed.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry about your dad.

Don't do it though. It is 99% more likely to hurt you than it is to help you.

Reactions: 2 users
You can use this as long as you are vague and leave out the negatives:

Your father had a massive heart attack when you were _ years old. What you and your mother experienced there (don't go into details) and the care your dad received motivated you to serve as a volunteer in an emergency department. There you saw __, heard __, and was able to ___. (don't contrast it to your family's experience) This sparked your interest in medicine as a career which has lead you to apply to medical school.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users