This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do?

• Take the earlier interview date/more expensive plane tickets

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Reach out about a later interview date

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

boundlesscorpuscle

MD Class of 2023!
Reaction score
Today I received an interview invitation from an excellent program. I was excited until I looked at the available dates. I will already be travelling to or attending other interviews for all but one of the available dates, and this is just a few days before the Christmas holiday. As such, plane tickets are rather expensive- expensive enough to give me pause. I looked into ticket fares for dates after the new year and they are much more reasonable.

I was hoping for some advice on whether I should eat the cost of the plane tickets and nab the earlier interview date, or if I should reach out to the school and see if they have any later dates available. While I do have five other interviews, I do not have any acceptances, and thus am not really in a position to turn down an invitation. Besides, I do really like this program and don't want to miss out on the opportunity. What should I do?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I asked for alternative dates if the original dates they proposed had unusually high fares around them (like you) or if I already had another interview in the area (NYC), I just called or emailed "by any chance, do you have any openings on ______?" (I didn't give a reason - but I usually knew the days they interviewed). I think I did it 3 or 4 times, and everybody I dealt with was very nice - but my IIs were early in the cycle and the latest date I "negotiated" for was the week before Thanksgiving. And, I didn't turn down any IIs until I got an acceptance. As I'm guessing somebody else will also say, the extra money you spend now to get into med school will pale in comparison to what your total loan will be - and hopefully what you'll be making down the road - so be careful about losing the "big picture" while you sweat the relatively small stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Today I received an interview invitation from an excellent program. I was excited until I looked at the available dates. I will already be travelling to or attending other interviews for all but one of the available dates, and this is just a few days before the Christmas holiday. As such, plane tickets are rather expensive- expensive enough to give me pause. I looked into ticket fares for dates after the new year and they are much more reasonable.

I was hoping for some advice on whether I should eat the cost of the plane tickets and nab the earlier interview date, or if I should reach out to the school and see if they have any later dates available. While I do have five other interviews, I do not have any acceptances, and thus am not really in a position to turn down an invitation. Besides, I do really like this program and don't want to miss out on the opportunity. What should I do?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
It doesn't hurt to ask. Having "other commitments" isn't an uncommon reason to give, but trying to avoid the high price of a plane ticket is certainly understandable. And as @sophop said, you don't have to give a reason. Staffers won't care.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, @sophop and @Catalystik ! I think I will reach out and see if they have a later interview date. Do you think this would be an appropriate email to send?

Dear X,

Thank you for your email. I am very interested in your program at Y, and was excited to receive an invitation to interview. However, I was hoping it would be possible for me to schedule an interview at a later date than those currently available. Are there any other interview dates available in January?

I look forward to your reply and thank you and the admissions committee once again for this opportunity.

Best,

The above seems appropriate. I would also caution you to not put off interviews for too far down the road if the school has rolling admissions. Although most schools do a good job at equalizing the playing field across different months there's probably still a small advantage to interviewing earlier rather than later at rolling admissions schools.

The above seems appropriate.

Thank you!

I would also caution you to not put off interviews for too far down the road if the school has rolling admissions. Although most schools do a good job at equalizing the playing field across different months there's probably still a small advantage to interviewing earlier rather than later at rolling admissions schools.

Yes, this was part of my concern. I know that with rolling admissions, the later I interview, the fewer seats I am competing for. I ended up applying late in the cycle overall and right now all of my interviews are in December and January, so I do feel I am at a slight disadvantage already. I am conflicted as to whether it is worth it to save some money at the expense of interviewing a few weeks later.

I think I will reach out and see if they have a later interview date. Do you think this would be an appropriate email to send?

Dear X,

Thank you for your email. I am very interested in your program at Y, and was excited to receive an invitation to interview. However, I was hoping it would be possible for me to schedule an interview at a later date than those currently available. Are there any other interview dates available in January?

I look forward to your reply and thank you and the admissions committee once again for this opportunity.

Best,
That email is fine (include your AMCAS# after your name), but I suggest calling if that is a possibility. You want a response ASAP, not in ten days. Or longer.

Personally I would grab the earlier date just because I'm ultra-paranoid. But I honestly don't think it'll make a difference for you at all. And my understanding is that school definitely won't mind giving you other potential dates.

I emailed admissions and they were perfectly accommodating, so I booked an interview for January. Thanks everyone for your advice!

Reactions: 3 users