Should I just do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdeka

Female
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to just take 6 or so random science classes for a year, but now I'm wondering if I should just do an SMP?

my sGPA after next quarter will be about ~3.20. Let's say I got a 4.0 (theoretically) for all my classes next year, I'd have a 3.47 sGPA plus a few summer classes. Given I will be retaking some classes, the GPA would be higher for DO.

Members don't see this ad.

I did an SMP. The amount of work and effort you'll have to put in to do well enough in your SMP to actually benefit your admittance chances is far greater than the amount of work it'll take to get a 4.0 next year. If you can just buckle down and ace everything and get that 3.47, your next step will be to do a short and cheap post bacc of upper levels and get all As. Get that GPA into the 3.5 range with a higher sGPA and with a solid MCAT you will be set. This option will take less time, less effort, and be way cheaper than an SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
I did an SMP. The amount of work and effort you'll have to put in to do well enough in your SMP to actually benefit your admittance chances is far greater than the amount of work it'll take to get a 4.0 next year. If you can just buckle down and ace everything and get that 3.47, your next step will be to do a short and cheap post bacc of upper levels and get all As. Get that GPA into the 3.5 range with a higher sGPA and with a solid MCAT you will be set. This option will take less time, less effort, and be way cheaper than an SMP.
Agreed. Get A's now while you're only competing against the general pre-med pool of students. In an SMP, you'll be competing against med students and other SMP students who are HUNGRY, and who would probably get into top schools if they had higher GPAs.

Reactions: 1 user