Should I keep a physicians shadowing log?

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently started shadowing a surgeon at a local hospital. Along with other doctors... Out of the bunch typically: general surgeon(s), internal medicine, family medicine, e.g. Looking for more, but it's somewhat of a rural hospital. Should I keep a log of anything that I learn or any procedures that come?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I recently started shadowing a surgeon at a local hospital. Along with other doctors... Out of the bunch typically: general surgeon(s), internal medicine, family medicine, e.g. Looking for more, but it's somewhat of a rural hospital. Should I keep a log of anything that I learn or any procedures that come?
Yes, definitely. Jot down the dates, hours, the physicians, their contact info, and a short reflection on the procedure and what you learned from it and how having that experience will lead you to become a better pre-med, medical student, and eventually physician. You likely won't remember your feelings about specific experiences in 4 years when it comes time to write your PS and activities summaries so it's helpful to get it all written down now!

Yes, definitely. Jot down the dates, hours, the physicians, their contact info, and a short reflection on the procedure and what you learned from it and how having that experience will lead you to become a better pre-med, medical student, and eventually physician. You likely won't remember your feelings about specific experiences in 4 years when it comes time to write your PS and activities summaries so it's helpful to get it all written down now!
Very good point, thanks. I will get a journal specifically for this. I already have quite a few memorable experiences, sounds great... Actually, 5. ;) It rocks to prepare well and the rest is up to dedication and hard work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if you want to for yourself and your own introspection and philosophizing/development as is alluded to above. Will not serve you much purpose beyond there, nor are such logs useful for any sort of application for med school years from now.

The old rule is nobody cares what you did before what you're doing now. Med schools don't care about high school, residencies don't care about undergrad etc etc. Obvious caveat for extraordinary circumstances, but shadowing is not extraordinary.

The old rule is nobody cares what you did before what you're doing now. Med schools don't care about high school, residencies don't care about undergrad etc etc. Obvious caveat for extraordinary circumstances, but shadowing is not extraordinary.
Actually, from what I've heard many residencies care about your undergrad especially neuro which I like, but don't think it's the life style I'm after. I think shadowing on and off for the past 5 years would look good with a log. It shows interest as well as dedication.

Actually, from what I've heard many residencies care about your undergrad especially neuro which I like, but don't think it's the life style I'm after. I think shadowing on and off for the past 5 years would look good with a log. It shows interest as well as dedication.
The log is for your own personal reference though, there isn't room on the AMCAS or AACOMAS applications for anyone's entire shadowing log. Use it as a way to keep track of hours and remember why certain experiences were meaningful to you.

Also, you can't put shadowing hours from high school on your med school application, so no need to start keeping track until you start college.

I assure you that outside of publications and other extraordinary circumstances, nobody cares what you did in undergrad. There's nothing on ERAS asking about your undergrad, and you'll be universally coached not to put stuff from undergrad and HS on your CV. But hey what do I know.

Also, shadowing = good and necessary. Keeping a log of it = unnecessary.
Also, you can't put shadowing hours from high school on your med school application, so no need to start keeping track until you start college.
^^what s/he said.

Finally, neuro isn't the lifestyle you want? Are we talking hours here? Neuro hours are pretty standard for being a physician with the ability to be much better.

Reactions: 1 user
No. No one will care what you did in undergrad when you apply for residency, and nobody will want to see your log. Major in whatever seems interesting to you and only keep the log if it's of personal interest to you.

I assure you that outside of publications and other extraordinary circumstances, nobody cares what you did in undergrad. There's nothing on ERAS asking about your undergrad, and you'll be universally coached not to put stuff from undergrad and HS on your CV. But hey what do I know.

Also, shadowing = good and necessary. Keeping a log of it = unnecessary.

^^what s/he said.

Finally, neuro isn't the lifestyle you want? Are we talking hours here? Neuro hours are pretty standard for being a physician with the ability to be much better.
Neurosurgery *

No. No one will care what you did in undergrad when you apply for residency, and nobody will want to see your log. Major in whatever seems interesting to you and only keep the log if it's of personal interest to you.
Sounds good.