Should I mention that my family members are doctors in secondary essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medskate16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to answer a question about my inspirations for becoming a physician. The truth is that I initially became inspired because of my family members and how much they seemed to love their careers. Of course I also shadowed other doctors and had other experiences in college that confirmed for me that I wanted to do this as a career, which I will explain in the essay. My problem is that everyone I talk to tells me not to mention that family members are doctors including my classmates and my advisors because it "does not look good". I really do not understand this. How does it not look good if you explain that your family members are doctors and that is why you were inspired to become one. So now I guess I am expected to just not mention this critical part of my life that explains how I became interested in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

It is good that your ambition for medicine was inspired by your family members, but you should tread lightly and carefully craft the answer to this question (as it can backfire on you if you don't respond appropriately). Adcoms could possibly assume that your family gave you a lot of guidance towards a career in medicine and that the choice was not YOUR own to make.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be honest and answer that they were a big part of your inspiration but I would reference other experiences you have had that have verified your goals. You definitely don't want it to sound like they are pushing you into it or that you are just doing it because they did it - have real reasons that are completely your own

Members don't see this ad :)
Your app will show that you have family members who are doctors. You can explain if its truly an inspiration.

I have to answer a question about my inspirations for becoming a physician. The truth is that I initially became inspired because of my family members and how much they seemed to love their careers. Of course I also shadowed other doctors and had other experiences in college that confirmed for me that I wanted to do this as a career, which I will explain in the essay. My problem is that everyone I talk to tells me not to mention that family members are doctors including my classmates and my advisors because it "does not look good". I really do not understand this. How does it not look good if you explain that your family members are doctors and that is why you were inspired to become one. So now I guess I am expected to just not mention this critical part of my life that explains how I became interested in medicine?

It can come off as you only want to become a doctor because your uncle Ben is a famous neurosurgeon and you want to follow in his footsteps to be a famous neurosurgeon as well. Obviously I kid but if you just mention that it is what got you looking at medicine and follow up with those other experiences as the driving force and solidification for medicine. It will look a lot better.