Should I mention these in my EC list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I started a small game hosting company during senior year of high school. I ended up selling it for $22,000+ including domain name and servers at the end of my sophomore year in college. I designed websites using php and html and used mxflash to create many custom advertisements. Initial net profit was small but after several months, the net profit gained each month was around $2,700. I had two employees. They helped me with maintaining servers and customer support.

The good thing about a game hosting business is that the marginal profit is VERY HIGH (since you can overload servers at times without sacrificing the performance of the servers that are already running). I seriously have no idea what medical schools would think about this... Does anyone have similar experiences and have mentioned them in EC list?

2. I joined the Army National Guard when I was a junior in high school. I completed the required basic training but my MOS (military occupational specialty) training conflicted with my college schedule. My MOS was 91W (combat medic) and it was more than 16 weeks long. After pondering my situation for a long time, the first sergeant in charge of Army National Guard recruiting program decided to discharge me from the military. It's neither good nor bad. It's not an honorable discharge or a dishonorable discharge. I was simply discharged because my situation didn't allow me to complete the MOS training on time. I noticed that AMCAS primary application asks if I have ever been discharged by the Armed Forces of the United States... But I'm not really sure if I should mention this or not. I got paid before, during, and after the basic training until I got discharged.

Members don't see this ad.

they're both unique, they sound worth mentioning

the specific numbers on how much you made aren't necessary, though

Members don't see this ad :)
they're both unique, they sound worth mentioning

the specific numbers on how much you made aren't necessary, though

But wouldn't it be still risky... mentioning anything about game...

1. I started a small game hosting company during senior year of high school. I ended up selling it for $22,000+ including domain name and servers at the end of my sophomore year in college. I designed websites using php and html and used mxflash to create many custom advertisements. Initial net profit was small but after several months, the net profit gained each month was around $2,700. I had two employees. They helped me with maintaining servers and customer support.

The good thing about a game hosting business is that the marginal profit is VERY HIGH (since you can overload servers at times without sacrificing the performance of the servers that are already running). I seriously have no idea what medical schools would think about this... Does anyone have similar experiences and have mentioned them in EC list?

2. I joined the Army National Guard when I was a junior in high school. I completed the required basic training but my MOS (military occupational specialty) training conflicted with my college schedule. My MOS was 91W (combat medic) and it was more than 16 weeks long. After pondering my situation for a long time, the first sergeant in charge of Army National Guard recruiting program decided to discharge me from the military. It's neither good nor bad. It's not an honorable discharge or a dishonorable discharge. I was simply discharged because my situation didn't allow me to complete the MOS training on time. I noticed that AMCAS primary application asks if I have ever been discharged by the Armed Forces of the United States... But I'm not really sure if I should mention this or not. I got paid before, during, and after the basic training until I got discharged.

These are high school activities so I would not list them.

These are high school activities so I would not list them.

so should I just choose 'no' when it asks me if I have ever been discharged from the military?

so should I just choose 'no' when it asks me if I have ever been discharged from the military?

I meant I would not list them in the EC section.

As far as the discharge:
I don't know a lot about the military, I always thought all discharges were honorable or dishonorable, one or the other. But yes, you may have to list this if you were discharged regardless of when it was. You could call AMCAS and see what they say. I would say you should not choose no, because you were discharged and choosing no is not accurate. Remember that schools run backround checks after they accept you.

I think you should list them simply because it shows that you're very good at using the computer. Technology is becoming more and more a part of it, so list it but don't say that you were making a killing off of it. That just doesn't sound good. Although, it could mean that you're a good entrepreneur. Nah, don't discuss how much you made. Good luck

I think you should list them simply because it shows that you're very good at using the computer. Technology is becoming more and more a part of it, so list it but don't say that you were making a killing off of it. That just doesn't sound good. Although, it could mean that you're a good entrepreneur. Nah, don't discuss how much you made. Good luck

yeah I also think that I shouldn't mention anything about how much I made.

Getting a 'general' discharge is considered bad for federal employment. I don't know what med schools think though. Ask the people in the military forum

Getting a 'general' discharge is considered bad for federal employment. I don't know what med schools think though. Ask the people in the military forum

Ok because you have no idea what you are talking about, I'll give you some information about the general discharge:

You receive a general discharge when you separate from the service, under honorable conditions, without a sufficiently meritorious military record to deserve an honorable discharge

seriously you gotta use your common sense...
I couldn't complete my MOS training because I had to go to college.
I didn't do anything bad/wrong/illegal.

anyway like you suggested, I should ask people in the military forum.