Should I only review aamc verbals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exam is about 5 weeks away and I am wondering at this point if I should focus only on reviewing aamc verbals and not others. Are other verbal materials really not worth reviewing? Should I only use these for timing since I often run out of time by one passage?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Exam is about 5 weeks away and I am wondering at this point if I should focus only on reviewing aamc verbals and not others. Are other verbal materials really not worth reviewing? Should I only use these for timing since I often run out of time by one passage?

Thanks!

It is definitely beneficial to review company VR sections, but the AAMC is the crux of anything related to the MCAT so that should be a priority. The thing is, the AAMC content is much more limited and so for that reason I recommend a mix between AAMC VR and company VR.

Ok so basically reviewing both is ok even if the reasonings are slightly different? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd say you should definitely use non-AAMC passages for practice, but don't read too much into their explanations. Some explanations are downright ridiculous and could hurt you if you internalize them too much.

Review. And if answer keys don't help for a fair number of questions, get a tutor who scored 12+ on VR to help. Questions tend to be right or wrong for the same reasons.

The only good reasons not to review:
1. If it is very close to your test date (within a week or so) and it will give you test anxiety.
2. If you are using non-AAMC material and you've found the author's reasoning to be unlike AAMC.
3. If you are using non-AAMC material and the test maker's insulting answer keys gets you rattled and it's within a week of your real test.