Should I postpone the April exam till August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to studying for the April exam, but my first three TPR exams consistently show me that I'm not improving. And I'm already registered for the April exam. I'm considering to push the exam to August because I don't feel confident nor ready enough. What do you guys think? Are there advantages/disadvantages between the two exams? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ladpm said:
I've been trying to studying for the April exam, but my first three TPR exams consistently show me that I'm not improving. And I'm already registered for the April exam. I'm considering to push the exam to August because I don't feel confident nor ready enough. What do you guys think? Are there advantages/disadvantages between the two exams? Thanks

feeling the same here, I've been literally hunting for time to study with work and TPR classes filling up my week...Although I'm going to write the April test, the worst case scenario being I'll "void" it if I feel it did not go well...but I really feel strong about taking the August even if it puts me in a disadvantage....hopefully other aspects of my application will make up for it....so good luck with either dates....we sure can pull it off

Akshay said:
feeling the same here, I've been literally hunting for time to study with work and TPR classes filling up my week...Although I'm going to write the April test, the worst case scenario being I'll "void" it if I feel it did not go well...but I really feel strong about taking the August even if it puts me in a disadvantage....hopefully other aspects of my application will make up for it....so good luck with either dates....we sure can pull it off

I'm with the both of you, my firt kaplan full length score was awful. If I take the second 3/25 and show stellar improvement (I'd need to gain nine points TOTAL--yeah not going to happen), I'll sit for April...otherwise, August here I come... ok, off to study :smuggrin:

ladpm said:

Take an AAMC Exam and see how you do.

What are you not doing well in? Do you honestly think that you can use the ~ 4 months to do better? Forget about the results of the exams for a second -- do you think that you have a good knowledge of the material? Some parts definitely better than others? Can you single out the parts/subjects that are giving you the most trouble and concentrate on those? Why do you think you are not doing as well as you expected on the exams? You need to be able to answer those questions (I think) to be able to decide whether or not it makes sense to wait until August.

Most schools recommend that you take the MCAT in April. My philosophy is that I do everything that they recommend doing. You'll have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of waiting until Aug. in the context of your own life.

Good Luck,

Jota

Members don't see this ad :)
If I void my April exam half-way into it, does that count as one of the "three strike" rules? If so, then I'd rather take my chances in August or maybe next April

ladpm said:
If I void my April exam half-way into it, does that count as one of the "three strike" rules? If so, then I'd rather take my chances in August or maybe next April

yes, after you break the seal, it counts as a 'strike'.....but you can always petition a strike (ie show them a rejection letter) to get another chance

no it does not count as a strike. if you void a score before test day occurs, it appears as if you never have taken the test. But I would advise against voiding a score if you are already there, unless you are completely clueless. I took it for the third time last august and felt a little antsy about possibly voiding it, and i did way better than i expected.

could u guys tell me what year u guys are, because i know a lot of juniors and sophomores that are doing it. So are u all applying this summer? or next year

i took aamc 3 and got a 31. i took kaplan's practice test and got a 24..

reading the forums, i believe aamc 3 isnt an accurate gauge of the actual mcat.. i figure that if i dont reach my goal on any of the practice tests, ill void april.