Should I Reconsider Premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushibarbie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I need some honest advice, I've wanted to be a Doctor all of my life and I've always had a 4.0 GPA. Now in college, I haven't been doing so great, my GPA isnt bad, but I got a C in Chem and a B in Bio. I kinda am struggling with Chemistry II, and people have told me i should reconsider my major. If I dont get into Med school i'll apply to either Pharmacy school or Optometry school. What do you think? Should I just change my whole career path? Go for something that doesnt involve medicine? Or do I still have a chance?

Please help.
I feel horrible >_<

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy is over saturated. Only go after the degree if you absolutely love Pharmacy. Btw Pharmacy is Chem intensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some more soul searching

Reactions: 1 user
Is it only your Freshman year? For a lot of people, it's a big adjustment going from high school to college. My GPA certainly went down, and I work 10x harder than I did in high school. You can always make the proper adjustments if you really want to pursue medicine, 1 B and 1 C are not lethal. Also, chem I/II are more math-based, which I found much harder than organic. Who knows, you might be able to pick it up next year, it just depends on how well you know yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Stick with the premed for now. As hrdrock noted, adjusting to college can be difficult. Evaluate your study and work habits and enlist the help of your school's counseling/advisement services to get better.

If you continue to struggle a bit but still really want to work in the health care field, consider something a bit less academically-demanding such as PA/NP.

Focus less on medical school and more on learning. Your freshman year isn't make or break unless you get caught lying or fail everything. The only thing you could do that would be stupid at this point is throwing in the towel because work suddenly got hard.

Are you taking advantage of your school's academic support services? attending office hours? have you considered a tutor?

Reactions: 2 users
Is it only your Freshman year? For a lot of people, it's a big adjustment going from high school to college. My GPA certainly went down, and I work 10x harder than I did in high school. You can always make the proper adjustments if you really want to pursue medicine, 1 B and 1 C are not lethal. Also, chem I/II are more math-based, which I found much harder than organic. Who knows, you might be able to pick it up next year, it just depends on how well you know yourself.
thank you

yeah it sounds like you need more soul searching... find out what you really want to do because no offense but your plans of med school, pharm, or optometry are all so very different.