Should I register and take the PCAT for September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bliss97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I should register and take the PCAT this September because I have not yet take O Chem 1 and 2 and Calc 1. I just got hired at a pharmacy this week, and now I am being trained: CD training and later hands-on training,

I just want to take the September PCAT because most school won't accept PCAT scores taken after September for Fall 2013 cycle.

I just checked out a Kaplan book. Is that sufficient enough to study for the PCAT. I heard some people spent 1400$ just for prep courses, and I just have that kind of money to spend on prep books.

Do you think I should the the PCAT? How much studying would guarantee a good score? Is this a test where you have to study in advance like 2 months in order to do well?

Members don't see this ad.

You're too late. You were supposed to start studying back in the 8th grade. I hate to say it, but your life is over. It was a good run though, making it to 20 is pretty good.

Really though, if you are doing class + training for a new job + trying to study for PCAT. It may be a bit much on your plate at once.

As for how much to study, well that depends on how well you studied and how much you retained from your courses. Take some practice tests and see what areas you are weak in. Then go and work on those areas, while still adding some study time to your stronger areas.

Worst case scenario is that you bomb the PCAT (sub 60 score) and do not get in to school....Really worst case scenario is you spend too much time on the PCAT and fail a course.

Also nothing beyond knowing the material inside and out guarantees a good score, which is pretty much impossible. Those who got good scores happened to get questions they could answer. I am sure if they took 10 PCAT exams they would not get 10 99% scores. Pretty much you study and hope the questions that show up were some of the stuff you understood well.