Should I retake my Biology class or....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemedicine416

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a sophomore premed student at a decent large public institution and I recently got my transcript. I found out that I got an A- on both of organic chemistry and cellular biology courses, which are both premed requirements,and I only took 13 credits this semester to make sure that I will get 4.0. Maybe I shouldn't be saying this, but I am really depressed by what I received and have been so since two weeks ago, when I calculated myself that I am at the cutoff for an A-. The reason I am saying this is because I worked really really hard for these classes, especially for my cellular biology class, which I almost slept 3-6 hours per night and sacrificing my Thanksgivings Break and other social events to study for... I was really hoping for an A because unlike my other premed classes, I felt that biology classes (this is my first premed bio class by the way) "define" me as a premed and getting As in them is what makes me feel confident that I will get into medical school ...

After working so hard and still receiving an A- while sacrificing my other classes' GPAs, I felt horrible and lost confident in myself (sorry if this seems absurd... but I felt as if my hard work didn't pay off)

After talking to a few people, I came up with two solutions: Should I 1) Retake the class or 2) Take harder premed biology classes and get As on those and prove to medical school that I am capable of what it takes?

Thank you very much for all your time and consideration!

Members don't see this ad.

some people get Bs and turn out just fine, an A- is not the end of the world

relax and move on

Posting this thread to wine about a perfectly good grade is far more concerning then the grade itself.

Step 1: grab a beer.
Step 2: drink said beer.

Joking aside, you're fine and need to become a bit more secure with yourself. You will not ace every class in medical school. Take the hits and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaaaand I'm done with pre-allo for the night.

Reactions: 2 users
Well we already know you're insane but if you want medical schools to know it too then I would definitely recommend spending tuition money and time retaking an A-.

Reactions: 1 users
The "pre-med" is strong in this one.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I am a sophomore premed student at a decent large public institution and I recently got my transcript. I found out that I got an A- on both of organic chemistry and cellular biology courses, which are both premed requirements,and I only took 13 credits this semester to make sure that I will get 4.0. Maybe I shouldn't be saying this, but I am really depressed by what I received and have been so since two weeks ago, when I calculated myself that I am at the cutoff for an A-. The reason I am saying this is because I worked really really hard for these classes, especially for my cellular biology class, which I almost slept 3-6 hours per night and sacrificing my Thanksgivings Break and other social events to study for... I was really hoping for an A because unlike my other premed classes, I felt that biology classes (this is my first premed bio class by the way) "define" me as a premed and getting As in them is what makes me feel confident that I will get into medical school ...

After working so hard and still receiving an A- while sacrificing my other classes' GPAs, I felt horrible and lost confident in myself (sorry if this seems absurd... but I felt as if my hard work didn't pay off)

After talking to a few people, I came up with two solutions: Should I 1) Retake the class or 2) Take harder premed biology classes and get As on those and prove to medical school that I am capable of what it takes?

if you worry about BS like this your not cut out to be a doctor. No joke.

I opened this thread and skimmed the tl;dr post for the grade received in the bio class.

I saw 'A-'.

I lost faith in humanity.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

:bang:

Aaaaaand I'm done with pre-allo for the night.

Yeah... I'm taking a break for the holidays.

Hi everyone,

Troll quota must be incredibly behind this month.