Should I send an update letter after my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Indian Jesus

Reaction score
I am thinking about sending an update letter to my top choice school where I interviewed at back in early October. I checked with the school and they do accept update letters, but I am not sure if what I wish to include is worthy enough of an update. Over the summer, I started working as a research tech at this same school and I mentioned that during my interview. My PI has told that she is working on a publication (which I will be included in), but I don't really know about the timeline for it. What should I mention regarding this if anything at all?

Other updates I will include are a shadowing experience with our department chair (an MD) and starting a new position at the clinic I volunteer at.

Thank you for your advice and taking the time to read my post!

Members don't see this ad.

Have they been giving out offers? What other updates do you think would interest them about you? I'm not sure about saying "I'm still in my research lab and we're close to publishing." will move the needle (but you never know). Maybe just a simple check-in would be fine? I don't know where you may be deficient in your application to know how important the shadowing or new clinic opportunity is.

Have they been giving out offers? What other updates do you think would interest them about you? I'm not sure about saying "I'm still in my research lab and we're close to publishing." will move the needle (but you never know). Maybe just a simple check-in would be fine? I don't know where you may be deficient in your application to know how important the shadowing or new clinic opportunity is.
Yes, the school has already been sending acceptances to applicants. I already have pretty extensive experience shadowing and volunteering in a clinic, I just want to expand on them. As for other updates, I do not have any aside from starting a new personal hobby which I am not sure about including.

As for simply checking-in with the school, what should I include in an update?