Should I start studying 3 weeks before classes start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooMuchPressure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking Biochem, Physics 2, Genetics, Orgo lab, and 2 health science classes. Has anyone had any success studying this early before classes start? How did it work out? Or should I just pre-read and get a basic idea of what's going on? Only reason I am asking is because I really want to do well and I want every advantage I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

khan academy is your friend

Don't do it unless you have a track record of needing more time than is otherwise provided to study for and do well in pre-med classes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking Biochem, Physics 2, Genetics, Orgo lab, and 2 health science classes. Has anyone had any success studying this early before classes start? How did it work out? Or should I just pre-read and get a basic idea of what's going on? Only reason I am asking is because I really want to do well and I want every advantage I can get.

This is what I do. Read the course material that will be in the lecture before the class(since 99% of it is usually based on the text). Then be prepared to ask questions.
I don't think 3 weeks in advance would hurt, but it does seem like overkill;however, we all have different methods.

Don't do it unless you have a track record of needing more time than is otherwise provided to study for and do well in pre-med classes.
Eh, even if you don't need it, it makes the first month or so of classes so much more relaxed and stress-free. But you should only do it if you don't have anything else going on, i.e. don't turn down an internship, RA gig, or volunteer position to study before classes even start

I cant fathom pre-studying for undergraduate classes in the summer....

Reactions: 1 user
Considering how much life revolves around studying and premed duties during the academic year... I dunno... I'd sooner go to a coffee shop with friends or read a fun book.

Practically speaking, unless you have a syllabus, prereading seems pointless since you don't even have the chapters, outline, etc. Even then... I'd read a novel.

Don't overdo it if your are going to study before classes. Focus on one or two classes you feel like you would need pre studying for and invest 1-2 hours of your day studying. Take the rest of your time to rest.

In your opinion, is pre-studying for undergrad more effective than pre-studying for med school, or do you think they are equally useless?

In your opinion, is pre-studying for undergrad more effective than pre-studying for med school, or do you think they are equally useless?

Well, I haven't started medical school yet, so I can't comment on that (though I am not only pre-studying if you consider testing the effect of ethanol on human physiology and behavior to be pre-studying), but in my experience, pre-studying for undergrad courses is fairly useless. In my classes, required knowledge was defined by what the professor tailored their classes towards, so until you had the syllabus, lecture materials, etc, you wouldn't be able to focus on what was important for that class, so doing something like reading the textbook may give you a general overview of the field the course was on, but would not give you targeted information about the specific topics covered in that particular class. Thus, trying to pre-study "blind" would only result in inefficient use of time and energy. Be aware, however, that this is only specific to my own experiences and may differ in cases where professors tend to teach the textbook, in which case pre-studying the textbook may have slightly more value (though I still wouldn't recommend it for a variety of reasons).

Well, I haven't started medical school yet, so I can't comment on that (though I am not only pre-studying if you consider testing the effect of ethanol on human physiology and behavior to be pre-studying), but in my experience, pre-studying for undergrad courses is fairly useless. In my classes, required knowledge was defined by what the professor tailored their classes towards, so until you had the syllabus, lecture materials, etc, you wouldn't be able to focus on what was important for that class, so doing something like reading the textbook may give you a general overview of the field the course was on, but would not give you targeted information about the specific topics covered in that particular class. Thus, trying to pre-study "blind" would only result in inefficient use of time and energy. Be aware, however, that this is only specific to my own experiences and may differ in cases where professors tend to teach the textbook, in which case pre-studying the textbook may have slightly more value (though I still wouldn't recommend it for a variety of reasons).

This. Please don't start studying for these classes. Focus on your summer activities. Enjoy yourself. The only possible pre-studying that is ever within the confines of sanity is reading a chapter or two from the textbook a couple days before (or the night before) that chapter will be taught in class. That way you have seen the material and can better understand or appreciate what the prof is lecturing on.

Starting to study physics 2 or biochem 3 weeks before classes start is neurotic and a waste of time. Unless you literally are so intrigued by the material that you are doing this for fun. If you want a couple things to give you something to do and a head start on your school year: memorize the 20 amino acids (their structures, name, abbreviations) and memorize glycolysis (every intermediate molecule and the respective enzyme required). But even this I would argue is still an inefficient use of time because while I am fairly confident every intro biochem class requires this memorization, you don't know how needed this is until you get the syllabus.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not 'pre-studying' per se, just re-familiarizing myself with AA structure and behavior. One less thing to do later is how I see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
no...
whatever you study in three weeks may make the first month a bit relaxed, but from there it will lose its advantage. Unless you somehow plan to squeeze in more than a month's work in 3 weeks.

It is nice to have a bit of a buffer to help transition back, but 3 weeks in advance might be a bit overkill. I always personally liked to stay a week ahead so that I could not do homework once in a while and enjoy time with friends.

I get what people are saying here, but I don't know...I taught myself the entire first semester of orgo before the class started (took like 1.5 months + practice questions during an internship). I didn't know everything, but enough to not have had any battle scars of orgo 1 at all compared to my friends. I did the regularly assigned hw during the semester, of course, and by the time midterms came around, I never got below 95%. When I think back, orgo I might've been the easiest science class I've ever had for this reason. Then second semester I got all cocky and didn't prestudy at all, ended up with a B+ lol no joke, the pace in orgo II killed me. So FWIW that is my personal experience with orgo, and then I also did it for biochem (of course, retaining all the biochem was much harder, so I still ended up with A-).

That being said I retain concepts extremely well (like, I can derive almost every single intro physics formula from bare bones assumptions well) and am a relatively strong self-studier. For stuff like orgo, physics, gen chem, where you basically already know what topics are going to be taught and what equations/concepts you really ought to know, studying ahead of time can be put to good use. But you have to supplement with practice questions. If you're just reading passively, I can see how it's a waste of time.

I would only do it once the prof releases the syllabus/ hopefully lecture notes. If you have no guidance then I feel like reading the textbook would pretty much be a waste of time IMO, but this is coming from someone who personally almost never actually read assigned textbook chapters... I just found notes much more efficient and would use the textbook more as a supplement.

Review past material that you will be using in the class. For example, reviewing acids and bases will be useful for biochemistry.

Studying 3 weeks could lead to burning out later on. I would enjoy the break as much as you can but if you have nothing else interesting to do, feel free to study. Go memorize the amino acids.

Seriously? Enjoy your summer.
Pre studying is a waste.

Pre studying with the wrong technique for the wrong people is a waste.
FTFY. It works for some people if used with proper techniques.
See, e.g. me.

Also if you're a fast learner, no need to waste your summer tjme

Do whatever works for you. If you get an A doing it, more power to you. It doesn't work for many people.

I honestly don't think it's a horrible idea to spend an hour a day learning some major concepts. After all, you are taking a good number of challenging classes this coming semester. Don't bother memorizing details, though, you won't remember them.

Also, make sure you know the teacher's syllabus/ get access to old materials so you're not wasting your time learning what you don't need to know.

memorizing the amino acids. Structure and characteristics of each amino acid. That's my only recommendation. Otherwise for the other classes you won't nee to prestudy lol.

I got Organic Chemistry for Dummies the summer before taking Orgo, but I mostly was just doing a review of bond structures and learning some basics like how to do the line drawings and Newman and Fischer projections. It gave me a leg up because I was able to focus on the material being taught vs. how to properly draw molecules. But that being said, it really wasn't necessary. I agree with MyNameWasUsed, if anything I'd only memorize the AAs...enjoy your summer!