Should I stop dreaming about becoming a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeneverdies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a Vietnamese (just became U.S citizen 5 months ago), Oregonian resident. I quit medical school in Vietnam in my second year to come to the U.S. 6 years ago. Now, I am going to graduate with a degree in Biochemistry (with Honors) and hoping to continue with my dreams of becoming a doctor (if it is not too impossible).
I did not come to the U.S with a very good background in English so my first two years in college did not go so well. My overall GPA is 3.52 and sGPA is 3.48. My GPA in senior year is 4.0 with tons of upper level science classes. I got 2 C and 1 B in principle of biology courses. I did not retake those classes. But instead, I took one year of upper level anatomy and physiology class and got all A in three courses. My MCAT score is 30 (PS: 12, BS: 9, VR:9). I know it is not very impressive, but I tried really hard on the verbal.

My honor thesis became my first publication last year in which I am the primary author.
My second publication (third author) is coming out in a week.
3 years of research in chemistry lab
First place award at Sigma Xi Student Research Symposium 3 years in a role.
Invited (and financially supported) to give 8 (or 9 I dont remember) presentations (oral as well as poster) at both regional and national ACS, and Sigma Xi meetings.
Research in the Emergency Department (I just started a month ago though)
Good LoRs, but none is from a physician.
1 year as a volunteer Vietnamese language teacher
5 years working as a lead food server at a nursing home
Shadowed a cardiothoracic surgeon for ~100 hours

So do I really have a chance for medical school? I applied to some schools last year and did not get a single interview. I am really frustrated right now and hoping that someone out there can give me some useful advice. What can I do to improve my chance to medical school? I am thinking about applying for Howard Medical School which is dedicated for minorities like me. Can someone suggest some school that I might have a good shot at? Thank you very much. I really appreciate any comment you might have.

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't have a problem becoming a doctor. You have fine grades, MCAT, and great ECs. If you apply this year, you'll probably get in. But when I say apply, I mean apply broadly. I sent 31 applications out and got 2 interviews and one accept

So I am a Vietnamese (just became U.S citizen 5 months ago), Oregonian resident. I quit medical school in Vietnam in my second year to come to the U.S. 6 years ago. Now, I am going to graduate with a degree in Biochemistry (with Honors) and hoping to continue with my dreams of becoming a doctor (if it is not too impossible).
I did not come to the U.S with a very good background in English so my first two years in college did not go so well. My overall GPA is 3.52 and sGPA is 3.48. My GPA in senior year is 4.0 with tons of upper level science classes. I got 2 C and 1 B in principle of biology courses. I did not retake those classes. But instead, I took one year of upper level anatomy and physiology class and got all A in three courses. My MCAT score is 30 (PS: 12, BS: 9, VR:9). I know it is not very impressive, but I tried really hard on the verbal.

My honor thesis became my first publication last year in which I am the primary author.
Invited (and financially supported) to give 8 (or 9 I dont remember) presentations (oral as well as poster) at both regional and national ACS, and Sigma Xi meetings.

So do I really have a chance for medical school? I applied to some schools last year and did not get a single interview. I am really frustrated right now and hoping that someone out there can give me some useful advice. What can I do to improve my chance to medical school? I am thinking about applying for Howard Medical School which is dedicated for minorities like me. Can someone suggest some school that I might have a good shot at? Thank you very much. I really appreciate any comment you might have.

I think the major thing holding you back is your international reapplicant status, though the fact you quit med school back in Vietnam can be a problem (adcoms can verify this). Your MCAT and GPA are average/below average, so I wouldn't aim high. I would get an MSAR to find the schools around your stat range, and you may have a good shot (again I'm not so sure based on your situation as a previous med student).

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't have a problem becoming a doctor. You have fine grades, MCAT, and great ECs. If you apply this year, you'll probably get in. But when I say apply, I mean apply broadly. I sent 31 applications out and got 2 interviews and one accept
Thank you very much. I would definitely try again. Do you have any school in mind that you might want to suggest?

I think the major thing holding you back is your international reapplicant status, though the fact you quit med school back in Vietnam can be a problem (adcoms can verify this). Your MCAT and GPA are average/below average, so I wouldn't aim high. I would get an MSAR to find the schools around your stat range, and you may have a good shot (again I'm not so sure based on your situation as a previous med student).
Do you recommend that I should not mention that I was a medical student in Vietnam in my application?

I'm not exactly sure whether would that be wise. I'll signal @Goro @gyngyn and @Catalystik for further assistance.
No, do not do this, and don't apply to Howard. I don't think any Asians count as URM. Invest in MSAR Online... it's your friend.
Some schools will consider Cambodians, Hmong or Mien as UIM but Vietnamese would be much less likely.

Some committee members feel strongly about the brain drain you may represent as a former medical student but few will hold it against you (at least on my committee!).

I think your only impediment will be your list.
You do need to buy MSAR Online and identify at least 15 OOS schools where your stats are near the median and that accept OOS applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stats-wise, I think you'd have a good chance at DO medical schools, especially if you got an LOR from a DO physician. Some primary care shadowing would be a good addition to your ECs, especially if most of your current shadowing was not office-based. Hopefully your job description as a food server in a nursing home was convincing that you had plenty of interaction with the clients living there. It might be good to get in some experience with acutely ill and injured folks, too. Maybe the ER research will cover that, though you won't have many hours by the time the new application season begins. Rather than volunteering to teach Vietnamese, you might get more mileage out of teaching ESL to Vietnamese immigrants in your area.

Last edited:
Your best bet is OHSU - they like nontrads and diversity there is a plus since everyone in Oregon is so white. Apply early and tactfully to OOS programs. You'll need a really good reason if you mention dropping out of med school.