Should I Take A Year Off DO or Risk Failing The COMLEX 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

formeNow

Reaction score
I have to take my COMLEX 1 soon, but I don't think I'm ready. Should I take a year off or risk failing my COMLEX 1. Which one would look poorly on my credentials? Or does it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did your school have you take a COMSAE to see where you may stand?

Yeah! I didn't do well. Got around 360 and passing score is 400.

When is your test date? If it's in 2-3 weeks you can make a lot of progress between now and then. If you hammer out OPP, micro, pharm, neuro, MSK, and ethics that should take you to passing. It's going to be hard and you'll have to put in a lot of work but it's doable.

Reactions: 3 users
Neither are great options but taking a year off is significantly better than failing.

But understand that you’re choosing between two bad things.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the consequence of failing? Do you just have to retake a couple of months later? Do you have to repeat a year? Do you get dismissed?

What is the consequence of failing? Do you just have to retake a couple of months later? Do you have to repeat a year? Do you get dismissed?
I can't imagine any school wouldn't require a leave of some kind after a Level 1 failure.

Delaying seems like a far better option than taking it when at risk of failing. It does seem odd to me to be forced to take a full year for an LOA when it could be 6 mos and you'd just be bumped to the next cycle anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't imagine any school wouldn't require a leave of some kind after a Level 1 failure.

Delaying seems like a far better option than taking it when at risk of failing. It does seem odd to me to be forced to take a full year for an LOA when it could be 6 mos and you'd just be bumped to the next cycle anyway.
That's why I'm asking, because it seems super weird that the only options are take now or take a full year LOA

I have to take my COMLEX 1 soon, but I don't think I'm ready. Should I take a year off or risk failing my COMLEX 1. Which one would look poorly on my credentials? Or does it matter?
Can you delay taking the exam by using up an elective rotation to study, and then take COMLEX?

I can't imagine a student needing an entire year to study.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you delay taking the exam by using up an elective rotation to study, and then take COMLEX?

I can't imagine a student needing an entire year to study.
This is what my alma mater forced those they deemed at risk of failing to do… and I have to admit it made sense. More sense than OP’s school for sure. Should definitely see if giving up vacation and/or elective time is an option.

I just got my failing score this week. We only got 2 weeks dedicated study time and I definitely wasn't ready despite all the school's "indicators" to the contrary. So now I'm some kind of pariah that had financial aid stopped and my rotations cancelled and have to present reasons for failing to some committee next week. It's your score, not the school's score. Take the exam when you are ready! You don't want to go through the pain of failing that exam!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I think studying for an entire year would ironically make passing more risky. If you study very intensely in the beginning you might slack off and then stop studying for 5-6 months and all your knowledge would decay. On the other hand, if you wait till, say, March of 2023 then you’d be worse off than all the other OMS2 students because of all the knowledge decay before now and March.

If you do decide to take a year off, I would advise studying for 2-3 months till you can pass several practice exams, and then take the COMLEX around September/October. And then between October - June you could get a temporary research gig or shoot for Step 1 to improve your residency chances. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users